Where and what do you do .....

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back to one of my other many hobbies!:laughing7:
Just can not imagine running out of places to hunt.. even my front yard that has been hit many times changes after a rain..
Considering the coil on most MDs is less that 1 square foot, the field of a concentric is only a couple of inches at dept.. it is hard to imagine covering every single square inch of any site no matter how small to the max depth of the coil.. Also there is masking and silent masking.. if you have not removed ALL the trash from a site to see what is masked under it, it is still a viable site with possible good targets.. Just sayin..

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done my yard yet, but I have lots of in-laws with farms. A hundred years or more old! Can you imagine the harness bits and roofing nails I could find! :D

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
1- Do the research to find new sites. There are many lifetimes of site's out there.

2- Switch to cache hunting where you use your brain more than your detector and the rewards are far greater.
Frank...-
y gold bars.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..... If you have run out of new places to hunt?

Well I can solve this problem (it's easy) actually. Buy my home for sale now next to me here in TN. on this ridge top. I'll show you enough ground to MD that you couldn't possibly cover it all in a lifetime. I've found some horseshoes, mini balls, chain links, shotgun head stamps and some horseshoes, chain links, old wagon bolts and some horseshoes, shotgun head stamps and chain links and a few horseshoes. And I've barely even started to search. My buddy from East TN. (Huntsman53) Frank was just amazed!!!!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've always thought that these local Metal Detecting clubs were created by guys who had ran out of places to hunt and want to bring in new members so they can hunt their sites.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit the liebuary and start searching fro new places

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
find old houses and start asking those owners to hunt their properties. Look for old farms with old farm houses. Offer some kind of split if they say 'No' or don't give a direct answer.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I ran out of hunting spots, I would spend more time shopping for curtains and color-coordinated accents for the guest bathroom.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using old maps, Google earth, and Historic Arial Photos, I have cataloged at least a hundred places I want to hunt.

Even if I limit it to places in deep woods on public land, there are still many dozens of places.

I mark each of them with GPS coordinates so I know exactly when I'm on point.

I couldn't imagine running out of places to hunt.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would continue hunting my old places that have had good results .Try approaching your old place's in different way's than you normally start,instead of starting in the front, start in the back for example.Maybe slow down and listen for deeper "slight" sounds.'That' is one of the cold truth's of the sport.We can't dig it twice.Even a loaded virgin place is eventually gonna run out,but that's not to say something wasn't missed.Some new places will come along! GL

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have places that I keep going back to and still find old coins and relics.

But new places are like having a new girl friend .....
Wink, wink - nudge, nudge. Know what I mean? :thumbsup:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I can't really wrap my head around this. Assuming that I stuck with public places (parks, schools, etc.), and I only stayed within my county, AND I covered the "dead" ground in the middle of ballfields, I'd be busy for the rest of my life. This is assuming 3-6 hour hunts on Saturdays and Sundays, and the occasional quick hunt during the week. Add in permission sites and I don't even know what to say. My decisions on what to hunt are based on what I think will produce, not what is left. As these are public places, they will replenish themselves to a degree.

Note: I'm not looking for old silver. There's none of that left in the public spaces. Jewelry suits me just fine.

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
I guess you could go down to all the churches, schools, when driving some where take note to the woods and other places beaches,river, poud, lakes, grandmothers house, cousins,friends, the local bar, and think of what ever else. I tried good luck.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have places that I keep going back to and still find old coins and relics.

But new places are like having a new girl friend .....
Wink, wink - nudge, nudge. Know what I mean? :thumbsup:
there's nothing like some new.:piratehand:

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your kidding right - NH HAS TONS OF CELLARHOLES AND OLD FARM FIELDS LOADED WITH STUFF IF YOU JUST GET OUT AND LOOK
IM FROM MA. AND A FRIEND AND I HAVE PERMISSION FOR ONE OLD FARM FIELD WE BEEN HITTING SINCE THE 80s
I CANT TELL YOU THE AMOUNT OF COLONIAL COINS AND BUTTONS WE'VE GOTTEN FROM THERE
YOU GOT TO DO SOME GOOGLE SEARCHING - MAP SEARCHING
I GOT FRINEDS UP THERE PULLING GOODIES OUT OF SPOTS EVERY DAY UP THERE
DO SOME DOOR KNOCKING - ASK FRIENDS RELATIVES OR CO-WORKERS THAT HAVE OLD HOUSES OR PROPERTY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions