Metal detecting people must be poor.

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting in Lake Michigan today (water temp was 50 degrees) when a man walks up to me a hands me a dollar bill. I proceeded to tell him that I had not lost it. He says "I know but I figured you could use it". I told him that I was not poor but he replied that I could use it more than him. I laughed, thanked him and told him that my truck was getting old. He laughed and walked away.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Accept it :) I've had plenty of coins and dollars sent to me because no one understands what I'm up to. LOL Just don't be surprised when people pelt ya with pennies (or better) combing the side walks. Ignorance is bliss. Never to proud to stoop for a penny. Swing on mate!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the "lookie loos" knew our machines cost $500-$2500, I doubt they would hand us a buck. ;) Besides, our wealth is stored in the passion we have for detecting!
Peace

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember when I was 7 (two years before I started detecting) I asked my parents what that man was doing at the YMCA. They said "he's metal detecting" and I asked why. They automatically said "because he's poor and looking for money". And now they are the parents of a proud detectorist, relic hunter, and coin shooter haha.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went door knocking one afternoon, at a place I had already hunted once, with permission. When the older lady (70s) answered the door, she said that she remembered me being there several months earlier. She asked if I had found anything, I told her only 2 cents, but that I had high hopes of finding more, if given another chance...

At this point her daughter (50s) butts in and says that she is not comfortable with me hunting the property, then offers me a dollar and tells me to "...run along..."

I am a 50 year old grown man.

Sometimes I really wish that it wasn't a crime to punch someone in the face. (Just kidding... sorta)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went door knocking one afternoon, at a place I had already hunted once, with permission. When the older lady (70s) answered the door, she said that she remembered me being there several months earlier. She asked if I had found anything, I told her only 2 cents, but that I had high hopes of finding more, if given another chance...

At this point her daughter (50s) butts in and says that she is not comfortable with me hunting the property, then offers me a dollar and tells me to "...run along..."

I am a 50 year old grown man.

Sometimes I really wish that it wasn't a crime to punch someone in the face. (Just kidding... sorta)

funniest thing I've read here on the Net in a while....

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest, I remember being at a beach and seeing someone with a metal detector, and feeling sorry for him, that an old man had to do that. To my mind it was a notch below collecting bottles for the refund, (which I did as a kid). Sorry! ;D Later an archeologist relative had one and I realized that they weren't used only by alkies and panhandlers. :tongue3:

....I'll just go to my room now, shall I...?

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was metal detecting a small park in Covington KY and a little boy and girl came up and asked me what i was doing. i explained the whole process to them and let them see how to find a few coins. They soon went away to play. A few minutes later, the little boy came up to me and offered me 22 cents thinking i needed money... I guess they had seen many of the bums in the area and thought I needed the money. The little ones have good hearts.

A few minutes later a 14ish boy came up and asked a few questions and then said that maybe he would TAKE the metal detector...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tell people it's all about the hunt and not the find.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You certainly do get some fascinating reactions from people sometimes while detecting - I remember being pelted with coins on one
city park hunt in Santa Fe, by a group of intoxicated homeless folks . I've had kids walk up to me with coins in their outstretched
hands offering them to me with a look of pity on their faces . I love the question I get from "grown ups" constantly " so , do you
ever find anything " !!!!! ( I'm so tempted to say " nope , nothing in ten years - several days a week , for hours a day ")

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I C the lite if you run into that guy again and he gives you another buck ask him if he has change for a $100:laughing7:

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Daang...I wish somebody would offer me a buck when I'm detecting. All I ever get is evil looks.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive around a 2,000 dollar car. My taxes on land alone are in the 30,000.00 a year... I am Poor.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what every bum need's is a metal detector.They wouldn't have to ask for change.they could find their own

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
just say "oh i dont need that dollar bill, i dont deal in chump change. i just found two soggy hundred dollar bills in the water about fifty yards up the beach. i found four gold rings this week and over thirty since may. I dump them wholesale at the jewelry shop and save the money, and its a lot of fun and i bring my family to disney world every year and buy a new car every three years with my finds. i make about a quarter million a year as an investment broker this is one of my hobbies, i even pay for all my guns with my finds. I just left the shooting range I fired my new 1200 dollar Berretta 10mm. Now go f___ youself you big dum azz". No, really, that's what I say. If they get mad at me for calling them names it dont matter. They started it, and besides, nobody wants a sand scoop to the noggin.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah I've had fools throw quarters in the dry sand about 30' ahead of me on the beach. I pick them up just like any other find. They have no idea that my detector (new) probably cost more than their vacation rental at the shore. But ignorance like stupidity is bliss. And you cannot fix stupid.

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the flip side, I went to the park today and there was a day camp going on. Within 5 minutes I was surrounded by 10-15 second graders that followed me around for 2 hours. They would get excited every time I started to dig and would guess on what it would be. Although it slowed me down and defeated the point of taking a little time to myself, it was still fun seeing their reactions to the entire process. Only a kid gets excited at seeing a pencil eraser come out of the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread