Please Help, ETRAC USERS PLEASE HELP ME

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
ETRAC, Garrett 2500, Garrett Pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys and Gals--I love the etrac, however, I am finding coin after coin after coin....no silver, just 1 buffalo head, the only silver I have found is a Sterling silver Cross that read 12-36, thought it was another penny,, I know I am missing silver, or it is being discriminated out, I jumped into an etrac way to early in my metal detecting career I know, but I am hunting in the minelab coins mode, I noticed today a whistle like tone and when I dug it I found some strange thing which I think is a gold plated lipstick thing, but it has initials on it and it also came in at 12-36, am I missing something here, I hunted an 1848 home, found 21 Wheaties, no silver, I know silver is there....what is going on?---I literally can find coin after coin with this machine, it blows my garrett 2500 out of the water, can someone please help me?......................please please please give me some advice, newbie is getting so frustrated, I mean don't get me wrong, love the sterling silver pendant I found, it is a cross with a large pearl in the center of it, beautiful, but other than that, nadddddaaaa.....can someone help?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it, the Etrac is a coin magnet and you will find the silver eventually. If you can find coins consistently, you are fine. It quite possibly be that you are hunting a site with no silver. One time a few years back I found 30ish wheats to no silver at a single site... ???

And the older sites (pre 1850) will sometimes produce large copper coins, with very few silvers.

One bit of technique to note is be sure to go very slow and check out the short, deep sounding peeps.... They often are deep coins.

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had sites that do for me the same as you ... lots of wheaties, buffalos, Indian heads, a large cent ... yet no silver.

Went back a few months later to find (in the same backyard area) silver dimes up the yang-yang and three or four silver quarters.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to be under your coil to find it. You simply haven't passed your coil over any silver coins or you would have found them. I assure you this is the case. We all like silver coins but they have to be there to find them. As far as you "knowing" silver coins are there, no, you don't. You ONLY know they are there when you dig them up!! Just keep at it, you'll find some!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It the site got detected in the 90s with a Sovereign with a DTI meter, site has been picked clean of silver most likely (any obvious good site has been hit all-ready), those are top cherry picking machines !!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
keep swinging, like they said, its gotta be there first... it does seem like everyone is finding silver everywhere but the reality is that there was a lot of ground hunted and or places that happened to have the silver in the first place. yep, it does get frustrating but you are finding some good stuff, I had a heck of a drought just for a wheatie around here and no buffs at all. you'll find them as long you keep swinging that machine.

OP
OP
P

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, I did get a few short beeps, trouble is, could not get them back when I tried to swing back over them, I was wondering if the minelab coins mode is ok for silver, why did silver come up at 12-36, what are others finding silver at?---and what was that flute type noise the detector makes?---I love my detector though

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am new to the Etrac, 3 weeks. I hunt w the A. Sabisch coin program and use the Quick Mask wide open to check for iron. Don't count on the magic "12" numbers. They bounce on deep good targets.
I scored a 1914 barber dime Sunday with this method.
Good luck.
Peace

OP
OP
P

pacecapital

Jul 14, 2014
Oneida New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
where do you find the sabisch coin program?-----

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your E-Trac may be broken, I'll give you 100 bucks for it. - Ahh, just keep at it, your silver and gold will come!!!!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
where do you find the sabisch coin program?-----

Just do a google search and you'll find them, and quite a number of others, pattern & mod files. That's what I did when I first got my E-Trac. Then, I actually went back to the factory programs when I realized I needed to learn the machine before going off into patterns by others. I look at the numbers yes, but I rely mostly on sounds.

You might also search for the English version of the E-Trac emulator program. That comes in handy as a learning tool.

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker is spot on!
Also consider purchasing the Andy Sabisch Etrac/Explorer guide. Very informative.
Peace

Xygt

Jul 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi PC,

Check out this post and related site - Etrac Hunting In Trash Area | coinrelicdownunder

Mark is very knowledgeable in E-Tracs as well as the CTX 3030 and older models.

I use his 'long' setting, as well as his other advised tweaks, and the silvers really do scream out at you when you pass over them.

These settings also work well for coppers too.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Brendan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread