What questions woulld you ask an archeologist (archy)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

If you could sit down with an experienced archeologist what you ask him/her.

There's different schools of archaeology. Eg.: prehistoric, historic, etc... But assuming you mean the ones that study the eras we're interested in (post-European contact sites), then the questions you want to be asking them: Where's the old forgotten stage stops at ? And anything location-oriented. So that you can sleuth out good places to hunt.

I've found some great sites by talking to archaeologists. And I never tell them I'm into metal detecting. Just pose as a curious fellow-historian like themselves ! :)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do archs call treasure hunters looters,etc.And then proceed to fill their own houses with what they find?:evil6:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted with a few. Not all are bad apples. I would ask them" So how do you display your stuff"?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all for organized digs, measuring and marking every little object, but I believe most of those careful records are boxed up, and stored away in a basement somewhere.

When I see a group digging with their little trowels, in 10' squares, I always think how much stuff a couple guys with detectors could locate for them in a fraction of the time. Assuming of course they are looking for historic type objects.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gut or face? See The last boy scout if your confused.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when you get a whole beach banned from MD'ing like Assateague Island, VA - just what does that accomplish? More emeralds for you?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archy will not talk to you, they are above us. But I respect what is trying to be done, as I respect all laws, rules, and codes. If we stop following laws, we become a mob. If I had a question to a archy, I would ask who is funding you? Oh and so many more questions.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why do you take sooo long? can ya dig it :skullflag:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" with all you acedemic training, why do think everyone else is a untrained, unread idiot?.....Gary

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Can I see your private collection?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If we stop following laws, we become a mob.

You might mean if we stopped following basic laws,such as murder,theft,rape,arson,etc,then it would be mob rule.But the farce of laws they pass nowadays I dont think you can really classify them as laws as,theyre passed just to put a thorn in peoples sides and for control,nothing more nothing less

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What questions woulld you ask an archeologist (archy) ...were do you sell your stuff :laughing7:

SS

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.What do you stick in your pockets when no ones looking? 2.Why does the federal government let nice pieces history rot in the ground when they could at least be in a museum? 3.Do you know any park rangers?What are they sticking in their pockets when no one's looking?

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was one in my area, had a grant to map rock shelters in a roughly 2 county area. Hundreds of overhangs here.

What he did was dig without permission, where he had permission he wouldn't turn over the percent he promised, all on our nickle.

Where is this map he made? Who the hell knows, probably ran out of grant money.

He's the only one I know personally, I'm sure there are some honest one's out there.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread