Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, I my wife and I are getting close to retirement, and I want to take up THing again to "help" me to tolerate her need for vacations to Florida and NC beaches. I've never been much of a beach hunter, but I think that if I can hunt in the mornings on the beaches while she is sunbathing or doing whatever it is she does - Hey I dunno - we been married 37 years! You expect me to watch her all the time? Sheesh! Next thing you'll be asking me to talk to her! :tongue3:

Anyhoo, I'm thinking that a good saltwater detector is in order, and I welcome any advice I can get from you good folks. Now, before you say, Excalibur, I am ahead of you on that, but until Powerball hits for me, I cant afford it. They look very nice, and I want one, but if you will read here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/new-member-introductions/425502-fever-renewed.html you will see that I am currently detectorless, and coming back to the game from a long absence.

I had a Tesoro before. They don't make the model I had now, and I didn't get a chance to buy a beach detector or even better - an UW detector.

Can you guys give me any advice?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesorio Sand Shark. Its a PULSE and extremely deep but with no discrimination. But it will work well on the wet sand as it has a great many frequencies.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Sandman. I do like the Tesoro detectors. I do want to get an AT Pro also, but that Sand Shark will be just the ticket for hot Florida beaches!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU MAY BE ABLE TO HOOK UP WITH SOMEONE FROM HERE THAT HAS AN EXTRA MACHINE OR 2 THAT WILL LET YOU USE ONE
ESPECIALLY IF YOU PAY FOR PARKING OR TAKE THEM OUT TO LUNCH - HOPEFULLY YOU'LL FIND A FEW ITEMS THAT YOU CAN SELL TO GET A GOOD MACHINE
IF I WAS DOWN THERE - I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO LEND YOU ONE - BUT I STUCK IN NEW ENGLAND RIGHT NOW
I GOT A PI AND 3 - CZ21s IN MY WATER ARSENAL

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The sand shark, as stated above is a good PI detector, But here's some of my experience. I am on my 2nd Surfmaster PI, lost the first in a fire or I would still be using that one. My present one is 14 Years old. It has had no problems, It is simple to use, just 2 knobs which you can just set to the preset position and detect. Here's some results with it. A gold and diamond/emerald ring at 10" from the beach, a fine gold chain with cross, a boat anchor at app. 4' . If I was you, I would get a used surfmaster PI . You can probably find one for under $400.
Hay, no one likes digging over 4' anyway, lol. Frank...-
gold cross chain.jpg
That's the chain it found, right after the guy 20' in front of me, with a Fisher walked right over it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see me digging away in a hole. Curious beachgoers walking up and all they see is a hole in ths beach with shovelfuls of sand flying out of it.

I doubt that I'd even dig that far to be honest. I'd probably dig it up after 20" or so.

I think I will sell some stuff to get cash for a detector. I got a whole safe full of guns that would yield some fast cash, but I would never sell a gun to buy a detector. I got some other stuff though. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions