What does everyone do with there zinc pennys?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's a better return than mutual funds

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What does everyone do with there zinc pennies? I have found a lot lately and was wandering what to do with them am ideas.

I bury mine in my back yard in quart jars at 15in and see if my double box can get them, a quart jar will hold 900 pennies. rwd mo

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I bury mine in my back yard in quart jars at 15in and see if my double box can get them, a quart jar will hold 900 pennies. rwd mo

That's close to the border line for a 2 box. Did it pick them up and what was the 2 Box brand. You don't have one listed. Frank...-
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I roll what I can, and buy silver coins with the money, I don't think banks would like it if I gave them half of a zincoln. I keep the copper cents, for they are worth more than one cent in copper. I have been hitting colonial places this year, so I do not find many zincolns, and the ones I do find a dropped by hunters.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I roll what I can, and buy silver coins with the money, I don't think banks would like it if I gave them half of a zincoln. I keep the copper cents, for they are worth more than one cent in copper.

So when you trade them in for silvers, are you going to a coin shop to do that?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does everyone do with there zinc pennies? I have found a lot lately and was wandering what to do with them am ideas.

I eat them. Good source of zinc and other various minerals that they pick up being under ground.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take them to my bank to run through their coin counter along with my clad. The last time I cashed in over $128 worth and only 3 cents were rejected by their counter.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will the bank complain if you roll the crusted ones in the center of the roll to hide them? i mean as long as it adds up to what it says on the paper sleeve? then it shouldnt matter, should it?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
will the bank complain if you roll the crusted ones in the center of the roll to hide them? i mean as long as it adds up to what it says on the paper sleeve? then it shouldnt matter, should it?

The bank will likely never know. At some point though, a bank, business, random individual - someone - is going to open up that roll of pennies and when they do, they'll now have to deal with the problem that you've kicked down the road.

If that matters to you, don't do it. If you believe that it's the next guy's problem, don't let me stop you. Just understand that at some point, someone is going to be screwed (even if only for a few bucks) by your actions through no fault of their own, and it probably won't be the bank. (Not that that would justify it, unless maybe you had a beef with the bank in question. But then why are you banking with them?)

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my bank does not take rolled coins, and neither does most of the other banks in town. All have a coin counter to use first.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick look appears that they're melt value is actually more than their face value the first sight I looked at has the melt value for a copper penny at 2.1 cent.. They're worth more than twice as much melted!

Yep.

I sort out all the copper cents I find into a separate bucket. One day, I'll melt them down and sell the copper.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually did this to see what my Fisher would do with it. Who needs a two box, I dont. Now Im not sure if its picking up on the lid or the pennys. Just make sure you have clean dirt before you do this. Any small piece of metal will mask it. This little experiment showed me what I was walking over and not digging up. I cant imagine what the new F75 is doing.

markbxr400

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2014
Lower Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck, I get crappy coins and bills from retailers all the time. I take my Zincolns and slowly use them as I'm paying for stuff at Home Depot, McDonald's, Walmart, etc. Throw 1 or 2 in with a handful of change. If they ever complain, I plan to tell them that I got it from their store yesterday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions