What does everyone do with there zinc pennys?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tumble them, and if they are spendable. :icon_scratch: What I consider spendable..?? :laughing7: Heh, lets just say some look like cookies. :dontknow: I roll them up and I spend them. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just add them to my loose change jar and buy silver coins once the jar gets full.

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering the same thing. A lot of the zincolns I dig are literally half of the coin.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started to fill one of those glass project craft blocks that they sell at Hobby Lobby. I was going to make bookends out of all the corroded cents. I had one 2/3rds full and my brother took a bunch of them to show his chemistry students what the ground acid does to zinc. I also gave him a bunch of copper and clad change to show them.

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ones that are really bad I throw in a separate jar. Probably have about 300 by now. I figure when I fill the jar I'll take them to the scrap dealer.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does everyone do with there zinc pennies? I have found a lot lately and was wandering what to do with them am ideas.

If you put them on a heat gun and let them get good and hot, and then drop them on the floor, the zinc squirts out, and you're left with two thin copper foil penny halves with full detail intact.

That's one thing you can do with them.

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cuss them with great disdain !!!! then throw them away,
Zinc pennies are a scare on the face of the US Treasury, wer should follow Canada and do away with the penny,

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to throw them as far as I can :)

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just throw in em a junk bucket with the pull tabs and other odds and ends i get. I am beginning to think of myself not as a treasure hunter but a grounds keeper lol

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The decent ones I roll and turn in to my credit union. The really bad ones go in a plastic cup and then once or twice a year, I take them and throw them back into the ocean at low tide so someone else can find them.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Roll and spend baby. Roll and spend.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I give them a bath in salt and vinegar, then put them in paper rolls and deposit them in my checking account, the bank tellers never open them unless I ask to trade them for cash dollars. I have 25 rolls ready to go right now....(sorry to any coin roll hunters that get them).

_DSC0001 (640x511).jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think everybody should start sending the garbage coins back to the garbage that made them.Send 10 a day in individual envelopes.Maybe after getting 10 million pieces of mail or more everyday they'll take the hint.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I think everybody should start sending the garbage coins back to the garbage that made them.Send 10 a day in individual envelopes.Maybe after getting 10 million pieces of mail or more everyday they'll take the hint.

haha that would be hilarious! or we could all pool together our zincs and spread the millions of little devils on the mint steps :laughing7: :tongue3:

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They would LOVE for us to send them 10 million pieces of mail a day. At 49 cents per stamp, the government would take that almost 5 million dollars (and a few corroded pennies) with open arms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread