You can metal detect but you just cant dig...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can metal detect but you just can't dig...

One of the counties by me said your allowed to Metal Detect but you just can't dig. Has anyone dealt with this one successfully before. I was thinking about using a probe then I looked up the official definition of 'digging' and the case could be made that a probe is digging.

When I detect I cut a plug and once I'm done you can't even tell I was there. I want do go back and see if we can get the rules modified so if proper target retrival is done then you can metal detect. Anyone have a good rule on the books by them that allows for detecting but lets the municipality feel protected from vandals. If so, I would love to see it.

Thanks
NJ

jerseyjack

Jul 25, 2009
I'm in Middlesex County too. They told me the same thing in the county parks, "you can metal detect but you can't dig", Union County too. I did a county park in Essex County and was OK, the park rules are worded a little different there.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real detectorists are like ghosts. No one knows they were there.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of like you can breath but you cant inhale,they can kiss my _ _ _

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about tot lots, use your shoe. There's always private property.
I was told the same here in one of the towns in Mass. By the police. But If it's on the surface I'm picking it up!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Wait a minute. Most laws site specifics, like the definition of dig. It might describe dig as making a certain size hole in the ground, like 1' deep or leaving the surface not as found. There is also the probe method which tecknically is not digging. Get a copy of the actual law. Frank...-
111-1 profile.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told the same here in one of the towns in Mass. By the police.

Cops are usually stupid when it comes to laws.In Mass. you use to need a fire arms ID for blackpowder firearms.Before I knew this I call the police station to and asked."do you need a pistol permit to buy a blackpowder revolver"The desk cop asked me what it fired,I told him lead balls,the cop goes,oh that could hurt somebody.No sh t sherlock what do think it was designed to do.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One of the counties by me said your allowed to Metal Detect but you just can't dig.....

Hey N.J. THer, do you mind if I ask what precipitated this exchange ? What I mean is, like .... were you out detecting, and someone came up to you and said this ? Or did you find a rule that really said "detecting allowed but you can't dig" ? Or did you waltz into county offices (or exchange emails or call them ), and this was their answer to your "can I detect?" question ? What brought about this exchange ?

Because I have no doubt that verbage that might include the word "dig", is present in any parks code, on any level, across the entire USA. Even if it didn't use the word "dig", it will be something similar : "alter", "deface", "tamper", "remove", etc... But even though such obligatory verbage exists everywhere, the intent was, of course, so no one thinks they can go destroy the park, etc.. But you know, you'll leave no trace. Hence not having alterED or defacED anything.

If you got this info. by having gone in and asking some desk-bound pencil-pusher, then welcome to the "no one cared till you asked" club. Parks, schools, beaches, etc... with that boiler-plate verbage get detected all the time. You can now knock yourself silly trying to get them to "allow you to dig" if you want, but .... let this be a lesson to you: In the future, don't go asking "can I detect?". Instead, look up laws/rules for yourself . If nothing there says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited.

Also: Whatever was said to you at the county level (your "pressing issue" you brought to their attention), does not apply to city or state owned places there. That info would only be applicable to county lands (county parks and so forth). But not city parks, for example. So when it comes to each individual city in your county, look up rules for yourself. And once you've determined that nothing forbids detecting, and .... using common sense to avoid obvious historic monuments, then just keep a low profile (avoid busy-body-lookie-lous) and go at low traffic times.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What about tot lots, use your shoe. There's always private property.
I was told the same here in one of the towns in Mass. By the police. But If it's on the surface I'm picking it up!
Oh Msbeepbeep,you ARE a naughty one! We were thinking about taking a trip to London and doing some mudlarking on the Thames but you need to have a permit to even pick up surface finds and to dig even a half an inch or so down you need to pay up. Sorry to get off topic.

jerseyjack

Jul 25, 2009
It don't really matter what the law says, here in Jersey the County Park Squirrel Police got there little rule book and as soon as they spot you you're outta dere lol.

PS: Chris Christie for President !!!!!!!!!! (Better put a bigger bathtub in the White House) lol

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The permit is not that expensive CoilyGirl but the best areas remain out of bounds. Lots of nice iron in many of the British rivers where there's not the restrictions. keyssmallr.jpg

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J. a similar thing happened in Britain years ago. In areas where they couldn't stop you detecting they allowed it in theory but no recovery was allowed on the basis that you would be damaging the grass. This was challenged on the basis that grass is a weed and a weed has no worth. They may be a similar get round in your area.

Sandalman

Jul 6, 2014
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just did the same thing in the San Gabriel Valley area of Los Angeles. I emailed the parks and rec head. He simply told me that metal detecting is fine and copy and pasted the city code about no digging or altering crap. I'm going for it.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Look at the bright side. Bear with me a second. These politicos have a shelf life, they wont always be
around. In the meantime you can diagram the park down to the foot, then detect and mark on your
diagram where the good signals occurred, then wait . . . when the park director gets canned . . .
go all in. No more wandering around just hit your spots before the crowd arrives.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
based on what your topic says, that's why you bring an archeological brush =P

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every park that I hunt has rules against digging of any kind.

Just hunt during the off hours, use a probe if possible, and when you have to dig be very discrete and neat about it. I find it best to never mention anything about digging a target. We retrieve targets. The word "dig" really freaks people out. If anyone asks, I just say that I use a small probe to retrieve objects near the surface of the ground. And for the love of god, DO NOT CARRY AROUND A LARGE EASILY NOTICEABLE SHOVEL! I watched a clown use one of these in a baseball field once, talk about leaving a nasty mess! I bet that guys gets booted from public land quite often.

ss-62010.jpg

Heck, if you dug through the rules long enough and asked enough people in the office, you would probably find out in order to walk your dog in the park they require a million dollar insurance policy and a special event permit! There is a whole class of people out there who have a sole purpose in life of looking for rules to obey.

You know how to avoid cops.... detect early on weekend mornings. That is when I hunt the most and I have never seen a cop at that time, usually just a few people jogging or walking a dog. I have noticed a few cops observing me from their cars but that was around 5-7PM on a weekday. I did not retrieve any objects while being watched, just detected and went to back to retrieve everything when they left.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd sweep my way to the metal. Fun stuff.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing happened to me

In the county I live in the parks you can MD and dig but leave no holes, I contacted the rec department in the city over and they have you can MD but NO DIGGING :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread