Calibrating???

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do detectors ever need to be calibrated or is it they either are working or are not? I have to maintain expensive equipment in my job and have to calibrate it every so often. Just wondering? Or do you just do the bench test to make sure everything is working and indicating as it is suppose to?

Inquiring mind wants to know:laughing7:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had two aftermarket coils "calibrated" to a specific detector. I've never had a detector calibrated. Some say a factory tune-up can be a good idea.
Good luck
Peace

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This issue is one of the reasons i think air tests can be useful. If a given detector seems to have lost its umph, so to speak, one can compare to earlier tests to see if it has really changed. If so, it may be time to send it in for a check up. In the case of matching a different coil to a preset ground balance detector, it may make a noticable improvement if the original setting were far enough off.
luvsdux

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless your experiencing problems with the detector there is really no reason to send it in for "calibration". Occasional tune up is not a bad idea as some detectors can be updated by the manufacturer or qualified repair agency. A metal detector is not a precision measuring device unlike a multimeter or torque wrench but if it makes you feel better send it in. Myself I've sent in my Minelab GP3000 for tune ups and in the past also sent in my old Garret GTI for tweeks.
If your detector has manual Ground Balance then you have a user calibration already. My thoughts.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I use to calibrate electronic equipment at work. Calibration is not adjusting, it is merely checking against a known standard. Doing an air test against a known object is the same as calibration.
Frank...-
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn points out what I meant in my post. If you're machine typically gets 8 - 9 inches in air on a quarter, it should do that every time you check it unless you've changed to a smaller or larger coil.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread