Average income from metal detecting?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I base my expenditures on the Euro and income on the Armenian Dram.

It's a 'feel good' kind of math.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hell I am on the beach all the time. Never get back to my vehicle when I expect too. I spend about 300/400 dollars a year on parking tickets. They write you here one minute over the allotted time.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iam coming up on my first year of mding.When i go out its usually 2 to 3 hours.I have found a few gold rings and silver charms.A dollar coin or two.And for the year so far 41.38 in clad.If i wanted to earn money i would do better to stand in front of 7/11 with a tin cup in my hand.I have spent far more on detectors/digging tools and gas than i probably will ever get back.If i depended on this for an income i would be living in a cardboard box and getting most of my meals at the salvation army.But you know what i still love this hobby.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
No worries birdflu,chime in.Personal questions like you asked always lead to repercussions,you have to expect it when you start to get personal.It wouldnt of mattered who asked your question,I would of of posted the same thing regardless of who you were.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some day they'll be a market for old mule, horse and oxen shoes... and then I'm cashing in big time!!!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LAWL! By income, you men how much everybody ELSE is making off our hobby, right?
Like the gas station, city parking meters, detector supply stores, vendors, etc.... right?

Me, if I keep going the way I have been, I'll soon qualify for welfare and food stamps! LAWL!

OP
OP
T

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone and I appreciate your comments. I think I asked my question the wrong way. Let me explain...

There aren't many MD'ers around me and no clubs etc for me to "talk shop" with - compare finds, discuss sites and techniques etc. I only have you great folks on TN to compare my personal experiences with. After all, reading your posts is what got me in the hobby in the first place. And this is a hobby and most hobbies aren't profitable. They almost always cost more than any income you can receive from them. But we participate in hobbies because of the enjoyment they bring more than anything. And I do enjoy metal detecting... I like getting outside and enjoying the peace and quiet and the focus that MD-ing brings. I like the excitement that comes from digging up that nice signal to see what has been lost in the ground for so long.

However, because I don't have anyone to talk to I can't compare what I'm doing with the "norm". We all see posts of nice things in Today's Finds but I think they're atypical. Most people don't post their "average" days. Everyone will agree that finding a relic, a silver coin, or piece of jewelry is a "good" day. We all have varying degrees of "bad" days. But what is a "typical" day?

For instance, I went out yesterday for about an hour and searched around some older ballpark bleachers. I found one quarter and three dimes, all clad. There was so much trash that I couldn't get good target separation and I'm sure there was a lot of masking going on. This has been "typical" for me for the past 15-20 times I have been out over the last few months, and I have been out to several types of spots: vacant lots, private properties, public parks, schools, ball fields, crop fields. So is this a "typical" day for others?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! I have been MDing since the late 70's in Oregon...A typical day now is 30 coins... I have found over 1000 coins since February... only 3 silver... 20 keys... 20 toy cars... 8 rings (2 silver)... I dig as much trash as I dig the good stuff...
Back in the day silver coins were everywhere... We found over 100 silver dimes on one field... but those are the good old days...
So you must enjoy just the thrill of the hunt to stay in the game :) It's not about making money... I have to old Bounty Hunters, an ACE 350 and an AT PRO with 3 coils...
I love it...
Good luck!
Gary from Oregon

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! I have been MDing since the late 70's in Oregon...A typical day now is 30 coins... I have found over 1000 coins since February... only 3 silver... 20 keys... 20 toy cars... 8 rings (2 silver)... I dig as much trash as I dig the good stuff...
Back in the day silver coins were everywhere... We found over 100 silver dimes on one field... but those are the good old days...
So you must enjoy just the thrill of the hunt to stay in the game :) It's not about making money... I have to old Bounty Hunters, an ACE 350 and an AT PRO with 3 coils...
I love it...
Good luck!
Gary from Oregon
I need to move to your area.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LAWL! By income, you men how much everybody ELSE is making off our hobby, right?
Like the gas station, city parking meters, detector supply stores, vendors, etc.... right?

Me, if I keep going the way I have been, I'll soon qualify for welfare and food stamps! LAWL!

Been that way since the 1849 Gold Rush. The guys selling the shovels and food made WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more money than the greatest majority of the prospectors.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread