Do most of you see other people detecting when youre out ?....

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do most of you see other people detecting when you're out ?....

Lately I've seen a post or two that got me thinking about this - My experiences detecting mostly in the Southern
Rocky Mountains (Colorado ,New Mexico) have me thinking that nobody else owns a metal detector . Obviously
I know that's not true , but I'm not exaggerating when I say that in ten years of detecting , I've maybe seen 5
people out with a metal detector and I am primarily hitting public areas close to or in small towns . Your thoughts
and experiences are most welcome .

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No. I avoid people.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Two other detectorists the other week but usually few. A couple years ago the same guy and I hit same area often. See a couple here and there when not detecting also.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time i ever wanted to try beach detecting(i'm more of a woods and relic man)it didnt matter what beach i went to.The first thing I'd see went i got there were other people detecting.And I mean every time:laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most land hunters can show up anywhere at any time so the chance of you seeing them are slim. Beach hunters and water hunters mainly search during the daylight and there aren't any trees to hide them. The areas they hunt are huge and you can tell where they've been cause most don't fill in their holes even on the sand.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always been pretty uncommon for me to see other people detecting inland area's unless there is construction going on or I'm out prospecting. I've watched people who were detecting pack up and go when I showed up and brought my machine out. Detectorists, except on the beach, tend to be a pretty secretive lot ;) There's only so much to be found and no one wants you on their patch digging the goodies before they do. Besides there is a lot of ground to cover and unless the goodies are concentrated~ like beaches, construction area's and gold fields~ I'm of the opinion I'll see another only rarely. I do however see plenty of evidence that others are around. :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. But if I see someone as I arrive I keep on moving to another site out of courtesy. Some of the local parks and fairgrounds will have one or two detectorists on a weekend.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. But if I see someone as I arrive I keep on moving to another site out of courtesy. Some of the local parks and fairgrounds will have one or two detectorists on a weekend.
I feel the same way i don't want to interfere with somebody elses hunting.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only makes sense that in population dense areas around Chicago or Philly for example , that many more people would be at available
(visible ) hunting areas - whereas in the wide open West you might go a while before seeing anyone .

cowboy7450

Jun 17, 2014
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
Tek. Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's only been one time that i saw someone else detecting. that was not with our group. Mostly everyone else coming up and asking what we are doing lol

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While out detecting I have never seen another detectorist there but did see one the other day in someones yard. You must understand too that I live in such an area where the population is really small. The county I live in has just under 4000 people in it.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in a town of about 40,000. I have only seen one other guy detecting. He came over and talked for a bit and gave me his card. He told me to call him sometime and maybe we could hunt together. I called him, after about 5 minutes he said he had to go but would call me right back. I haven't heard from him since.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 out of 10 folks dont want to know you when they are detecting, especially if you have a detector too. But the ones that do make great friends.

When Im in the wilderness if someone see's me, I am doing it wrong.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was on one side of the sports field and me on the other. Wasn't the person I thought it was either I later found out.
So rarely do I see anyone out the same place I am, going early Sunday morning helps!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt during the mornings usually 3 days through the week. Most people are working during that time, so I have only ever seen 2 people detecting in the last year and a half. I later went on a hunt with one of them as he is a member here.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I`m in the woods most of the time, 4 days a week and 10 hours a day.
I don`t see anyone at the old cellar holes, but i see some of the Iron Relics moved around,and disturbed soil.
At the cabin sites nothing is moved, nothing is disturbed...they are harder to find,longer walks.
I do know some MDers "People Who Say that They have a Detector" but i hunt mostly alone,since my hunting partner of 20 years is worn out .
Would love to see some guys in the woods and fields around here maybe i could find a new partner.
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread