Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anybody please help me identify, wedge shape ingots, artifacts and gold bars.

Please email me for pics on ...

Where do you go if you have found something like this??

I would keep quiet about it if at all possible.

A find like that will bring out those who want to claim it and take it away. I've seen it happen many times. People find treasure and go public and they're tied up in court for years, one group or another makes historical claims and the tax man is banging at the door demanding his cut.

I'm no expert but that's my opinion anyway. I would stay on the down low at least until you know exactly what you have. You may even want to get some legal advice on how to best position yourself if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would keep quiet about it if at all possible.

A find like that will bring out those who want to claim it and take it away. I've seen it happen many times. People find treasure and go public and they're tied up in court for years, one group or another makes historical claims and the tax man is banging at the door demanding his cut.

I'm no expert but that's my opinion anyway. I would stay on the down low at least until you know exactly what you have. You may even want to get some legal advice on how to best position yourself if necessary.

Ditto above.... Stay QUIET!!!! I don't know about South Africa but you surely don't want to do that HERE.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should should post just ONE of your pictures so others can help. They may know more than me.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often, wedge shaped ingots were smuggled aboard ships in the bottoms of barrels. They did this to avoid paying taxes on precious metals shipped back to Europe.

Mike

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anybody please help me identify, wedge shape ingots, artifacts and gold bars...
metal_detector.gif
Hey - are the requests (below) all about the same find? Also - so far - no pictures - they sure would help...

treasure trove found in south africa (Today, 07:31)
found in south africa (Yesterday, 02:36)
found in south africa (Jul 15, 2014, 05:2)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go straight to the closest Lamborghini dealership. ;)

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup dont say a word on location. Sure as heck dont let the gubberments get wind of it. If you can get them puppies put away where they wont ever be found and very slowly a piece or two at a time....every few months come home with a big ol grin on your face and a pocketful of cash if you know what i mean :)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Often, wedge shaped ingots were smuggled aboard ships in the bottoms of barrels. They did this to avoid paying taxes on precious metals shipped back to Europe.

Mike

See, even way back when people were running from the revenuers.

dooker

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you. I would get a new email and IP addy. Not to mention a word again or go to any of these like forums while on location. In other words erase your footprints and leave no trace.

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a scam or virus too... Seems like a shady post I wouldn't risk emailing them

Just my 2 cents

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chase do not post personal contact information. We consider that spam and you could loose posting privileges . Thank you

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!! :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Could be a scam or virus too... Seems like a shady post I wouldn't risk emailing them

Just my 2 cents

Anytime over the years, if you read metal detecting forums long enough: Whenever a post like this occurs of someone finding "gold bar" or fabulous riches, it eventually morphs to where they need investors to get it raised from the ocean bottom, or secreted out of the country, etc.... Yup, a scam to lure investors. And while this one did not solicit for investors here, perhaps whomever emails him (as he requests), will get the "pitch" there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread