Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im 19 ive been metal detecting for about 3-4 years. Ive only used beginner metal detectors. I started with a Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 I liked it because it had 3 tones. After that metal detector I upgraded to a Whites Coinmaster I didn't like it because it only had 1 tone and its target ID was bad and didnt seem to go deeper then BH. So then I got the Tesoro Silver Umax it was a little deeper then all the rest but I was confused by the single tone. My hearing is not so good and i couldnt notice the tone changes very easily.

So what should I upgrade to I was thinking about Fisher F4. I've ready tons of reviews and stuff they don't help much. One review says F4 will read quarter at 10'' another says it will read Quarters at 3". I can get anything around $400. Some say the silver umax is better than the Fisher F4, I dont know what to think anymore. help

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XTerra 505 will be quite a step up IMO. I have seen used ones within your budget and the 3 year warranty is transferrable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need something that is under $450

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im buying only from Kellyco. What about a X terra 305 they are $399. Would that be an upgrade?

sprinter

Feb 2, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 305 is a definite improvement for what you've got ,and if the machine suits you ,at least you will have a choice of changing the frequency ,with another coil later ,when you can afford it.

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you guys think of the F4? I guess it is between the F4 and Xterra 305 now. I will do some studying on the 305.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Vaquero!

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im gonna be using the detector to find coins and i prefer a digital screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone know what goes deeper Xterra 305 or Fisher F4

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dan! You may want to consider a Teknetics Gamma 6000. Good depth, fast response time, good sensitivity even to very small objects, multiple tone selections/options (the three tone selection I think would be similar to what you are/were familar with), very light weight, easy to learn and easy to use. I am not a Teknetics salesman, but rather, just another THer that happens to use one. 5" and 11" DD coils are available for them as well. I do most of my hunting with the 11" DD, but the other two coils work very good as well. After learning a bit about the machine using it often, I have come to really really like it! You mentioned you like to coin hunt......In my very humble opinion, I believe the Teknetics Gamma 6000 is a monster, a coin killer! But hey, there are lots of good machines out there, and a whole lot more people who have used a lot more of them than me. Just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in on a machine I have used and still do use. Thumbs up for the Gamma from me! They are approx 500 new, but you can find a used one well within your budget. Good luck and HH!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only drawback with the 305 is that you can't run the 3 kHz 6" Digger coil on those, but it is still a very good machine IMO. I bought my mom one and used it on a coinshoot under some old bleachers. It is a coin magnet and the VDI was deadnuts on these coins that were 4-6" deep.

The 6" Digger is a great coil for trashy, nail infested homesites or similar sites Check on other forums I always see several 505 or 705's for sale. Even when I had a CTX 3030, most of the time I reached for the Xterra 705 because it is half the weight, very well laid out and easy to operate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Teknetics eurotek pro seems really good. It has really good views on Teknetics EuroTek Pro Metal Detector Reviews . Its price is so low I wonder if it really works as good as they say. its called eurotek will i not get as good results being in USA? Anyone want to vouch for the eurotek?

One of the metal detector reviews says "Jut got the new Eurotek Pro with 11 DD coil. It is a keeper. I've tried them all in the $500 and under price range. It's target I.D. Seems much more stable than the other lower and mid price detectors including it's sister the Delta.
Seems to go really deep as well. I recommend it over the Coinmasters, Aces, F-series, Xterras, and even the Delta. I am usually a beep and dig Tesoro fan but this is a nice change of pace."

Thanks for the help guys I think I will get a eurotek and with the extra money maybe a pinpointer. Anyone got anymore to add? I really want to get the best metal detector around $400 I dont have the money to get something like the Minelab Etrac

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to consider is the ETP has a fixed ground balance, where all the Xterras have adjustable and/or automatic ground balance. I'm not familiar with the Indiana area but a machine with adjustable GB could be beneficial.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions