Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors do not detect magnetism. They detect relative conductivity and can tell ferrous metals (iron) from non-ferrous. The soil conducts differently from targets and the detectors are designed to favor small, conductive targets with a lot of eddy currents . . . coins.

Sometimes when disturbed what had been enough to cause a good signal is displaced and falls apart; multiple small targets. Or a mattress box spring three feet underground you just don't get deep enough to find. Sometimes you miss the target (stuck in the sod you overturn or on the side of the digging tool.

If you "X" a target the good ones usually give consistant signals from all directions (jewelery may not).

Better detectors will indicate Ferric Oxide, target depth, signal strength ("confidence") but the only way to know is dig and see.

OP
OP
S

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you .Charlie I had they notion that the more I tried to x the target that I was somehow satureating the area around the target and causing the target to be less identifiable.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I'm wondering way sometimes it sounds like a really solid hit in the ear phones, but the longer I try to pin point the signal it seems to fade away or totally move.......

Next time that happens, try this: Speed up your swing speed over the target area. Does that bring it back in stronger ? If so, then you're falling prey to a mistake that persons with motion machines sometimes make (especially fast-swing machines like the 6000, or XLT, etc...): They hear a signal, so they "slow down to hear it better" (like, they think that's the way to pinpoint or isolate it). But since the machine is dependant on motion, well, then guess what ? The signal will fade and so forth.

So play with your swing speeds, and see what happens. For pinpointing, you can either a) use your pinpoint all-metal function [if you have that], or b) use your eyes to criss-cross in an x-marks-the-spot sort of fashion. Ie.; Turn 90* and hit it from different angles. You'll immediately see the target center that way too, and won't even need to use your pinpoint functions.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time that happens, try this: Speed up your swing speed over the target area. Does that bring it back in stronger ? If so, then you're falling prey to a mistake that persons with motion machines sometimes make (especially fast-swing machines like the 6000, or XLT, etc...): They hear a signal, so they "slow down to hear it better" (like, they think that's the way to pinpoint or isolate it). But since the machine is dependant on motion, well, then guess what ? The signal will fade and so forth.

So play with your swing speeds, and see what happens. For pinpointing, you can either a) use your pinpoint all-metal function [if you have that], or b) use your eyes to criss-cross in an x-marks-the-spot sort of fashion. Ie.; Turn 90* and hit it from different angles. You'll immediately see the target center that way too, and won't even need to use your pinpoint functions.

Ok Tom... I think I'm fixin' to learn something here. When you mention the "XLT" are you referencing (my) Whites Spectrum XLT e-series? Because I DO EXACTLY WHAT THE OP IS TALKING ABOUT ALOT!!! If so please help me learn along with OP. Now I can flip the switch to pinpoint and usually don't have a problem. But when I flip it back off and start swinging again it seems to NOT be in the same location. Please bear with me.... If this (XLT) is "my" machine explain the "fast swing" comment please. I'm getting better and better at locating targets but I do find "fathom" targets it seems at times. Thank's.... Brad

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know exactly what you mean, but the pin point mode might be confusing you,try to recover your signal with out using the pin point mode. Swing your coil over the target ,when the target sounds off the' best' the target should be pretty much right under where your coil wire meets the coil.In other words, say you swing your machine four times over a sound.every time the sound hits that is about where it is coming from.Hope that helps some gl.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Ok Tom... I think I'm fixin' to learn something here. When you mention the "XLT" are you referencing (my) Whites Spectrum XLT e-series?......

Brad, yes, your Spectrum is amongst the faster of the motion machines still being sold. It's sort of a carry-over from the earliest 6000ds (which were VERY fast swings, haha). Essentially: the faster you swing, you go deeper (or ... put another way .... let's those whispers come in a bit clearer/bolder).

But you're talking about another issue altogether: "moving" targets (versus "fading" targets). For that, I don't know what is ailing ya there. Will let someone else take a crack at that angle of the question :icon_scratch:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some detectors, in motion setting, will recalibrate the ground balance if you hold it still thus loosing the target. If you then move it over to the side, it will give you a false signal. The problem is in the usage of the detector, not it's operation. Frank...- five star.png

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a good test scenario happen at a fairgrounds. I got a strong target and it seemed to be fairly large and uneven (wider than long). Bracelet? Watch? I started digging where it centered on the strong signal and . . . nothing. Pinpointer showed nothing as well. I scanned the sod plug and there it was again. "Dummy" says I to myself, "you missed it". Tore the sod apart . . . nothing. Scanned the sod and pile of dirt - hit. "Wha?"

Pulled it apart some more, turned through the dirt. Pinpointer = nothing. Detector showed a hit. Double Wha?

I started scrutinizing the soil and noted little stiff black wires and little bits of clear and frosted glass in the grass flap and around the hole. The carnival must have tossed a bunch of bulbs in one spot and later picked up the glass - but little lengths of the nichrome filiments were scattered all over that spot. Whenever enough got together it signaled strong, but scatterred they didn't trigger a response.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, yes, your Spectrum is amongst the faster of the motion machines still being sold. It's sort of a carry-over from the earliest 6000ds (which were VERY fast swings, haha). Essentially: the faster you swing, you go deeper (or ... put another way .... let's those whispers come in a bit clearer/bolder).

But you're talking about another issue altogether: "moving" targets (versus "fading" targets). For that, I don't know what is ailing ya there. Will let someone else take a crack at that angle of the question :icon_scratch:

Hey Tom.... Thanks guy. I usually just go slow on the swings. Looks like I need to step it up a lot. I've never heard this before. I'll have to go out into yard and bury a penny, nickel, dime and quarter and play some more. The XLT does seem to work pretty good and has fairly good depth. I found some items in the soft soil of MI. at 9-10". But here in TN. it doesn't seem to go as deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread