jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Commemorative coins don't hold their value and, what's worse, many banks and shops won't accept them, as this couple discovered[/h]
When Pat and John Owers wanted to deposit five £5 coins, Lloyds bank refused to accept them – because although "legal tender", the money was in the form of commemorative coins.

Staff at the Owers' local bank branch in Barking, Essex, turned away the money. They offered no advice about where it could be exchanged or spent.

Such coins are produced by the Royal Mint as souvenirs of royal occasions like births, weddings and anniversaries, and are bought in their millions - and often given to children or other family members as keepsakes. Because they are produced in limited quantities and for a certain period, they are often initially sold for more than their face value. Over time, their value changes according to demand from other collectors.

But most owners do expect to be able to realise at least the face value of the money at any time.

?Bank sold us £5 coins that aren?t worth a penny? - Telegraph

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All coins are commemorative in some sense. Try to take a roll of "dug" Zincolns to the bank.
Peace

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought legal tender, is legal tender?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea .... NO Legal Tender means they want to make you Think Your Buying "Real Money".

in all honesty "Legal Tender" Can be spent but only if Both sides
are willing to accept it. it just means it's not Counterfeit so possessers, and passers, cannot be arrested for having it.

Last edited:

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting enough, i will have to keep that in mind next time i think about bullion commemorative over silver dollars.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting enough, i will have to keep that in mind next time i think about bullion commemorative over silver dollars.

Yes But works the same with Silver Dollars.

Stores can Refuse them.

They would have to be Nuts or Brain Dead, But just like they can refuse a Bag full of Pennies,
They can refuse any form of Legal tender:unhappysmiley:

But I agree there is Nothing Like Silver Morgan dollars imo

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thread makes me think that the goverment made coins to rot in the ground on purpose.does anyone know why they would want to do this?gold and silver comes out like it went in and i bet there is still alot of it.but our kids will not get to find todays coins that will last like that

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
they have bills sometimes too that aren't real as well. I bury my money in West Virginia, way in the boondocks

hint hint :3barsgold:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
carefull goldenrelics i know alot about w.va.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea .... NO Legal Tender means they want to make you Think Your Buying "Real Money".

in all honesty "Legal Tender" Can be spent but only if Both sides
are willing to accept it. it just means it's not Counterfeit so possessers, and passers, cannot be arrested for having it.
something new to be learned all the time!I had no idea that was the case.thanks for the tip.

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dug zincolns I find I clean and recycle at wally world, half eaten or not. no problem yet. lol

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, so far, I've never had a coin turned down on any transaction. I always have them in decently clean, though sometime it takes a second look to determine just what it is! lol

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thread makes me think that the goverment made coins to rot in the ground on purpose.does anyone know why they would want to do this?gold and silver comes out like it went in and i bet there is still alot of it.but our kids will not get to find todays coins that will last like that

Yeah, the price of copper and other decent metals has risen higher (in relation to the dollar) than the value of cents, and remember it costs to produce them too. Just that simple.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the U.S. cents are not legal tender. They can be refused.

About once a year some clown shows up at City Hall to pay a fine or water bill with a wheelbarrow full of cents. We would send them to the nearby bank as it's not fair to make other people wait in line while the clerk counts out that much change. Any store can also set a coin or dollar limit policy (i.e. No bills over $20 acceppted after 6:00PM). There are many such allowances regarding what "legal tender" actually is. Only the Federal Gov. MUST accept legal tender. A firm can even say: no cash accepted: credit card or checks only (for paperwork receipts especially cash is sometimes not accepted by clubs).

Though if it is a person who is apologetic and there is staff available we would help them count and roll them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions