Soreness After Hunting

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
This probably does not affect those of you who hunt often but I can hardly walk!
Two days after a 2 hour hunt I am in some major pain, all the squatting is something I am not used to I guess.
Going DOWN stairs is especially painfull right now, up is not so bad.
Anyone else experiance this when they first started out?

Should I add squatting to my exercise routine (which pretty much consists of only 12oz curls) ::)

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
The first couple of hunts after the winter hiatus is a killer. You will get used to it after a few hunts. Now go take some Ibuprofen and get back out there. :D

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
for me it is the swinging arm....like tennis elbow but I call it metal detecting elbow.

HH

Funkman

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of squatting, think about going and buying some comfortable, quality knee pads. I wear 1 knee pad (right leg) which allows me to be down on one knee while digging and this is a pretty comfortable position, and the knee pad keeps your pants from getting muddy and dirty.

OP
OP
Froggie

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
JT2 said:
Instead of squatting, think about going and buying some comfortable, quality knee pads. I wear 1 knee pad (right leg) which allows me to be down on one knee while digging and this is a pretty comfortable position, and the knee pad keeps your pants from getting muddy and dirty.

Knee's are not the pain, it's the quads from so much up and down.
Which means the more luck I have, the more pain.
No pain, no treasure ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do some stretching BEFORE you head out for a hunt.

About 200 standing palm slaps on the floor with legs straight ought to be enough. ;)

OP
OP
Froggie

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Do some stretching BEFORE you head out for a hunt.

About 200 standing palm slaps on the floor with legs straight ought to be enough. ;)

Yikes!
I'll be too tired to hunt after all that LOL

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best thing for sore muscles is "EXERCISE!". That right exercise will help circulate the blood and help heal those muscles. If you are injured, twisted ankle, pulled muscle then rest is best.

Ed D.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Froggie said:
This probably does not affect those of you who hunt often but I can hardly walk!
Two days after a 2 hour hunt I am in some major pain, all the squatting is something I am not used to I guess.
Going DOWN stairs is especially painfull right now, up is not so bad.
Anyone else experiance this when they first started out?

Should I add squatting to my exercise routine (which pretty much consists of only 12oz curls) ::)
Squatting that far is terrible for your knees. Get a knee pad and "take a knee" to do the dirty work. I have knees that bother me and it is bad enough sometimes getting up off of one knee. I hunt a least an hour almost everyday. Soreness isn't a problem there. Keep up the curl work though!!!

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
67, 2 knee pads, swingy-thingy- hunt 4-5 hours dirt 2-3 days a week and water every weekend

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: Work up to your ideal hunt length! Start with short hunts out, and gradually add increments of time out swinging. This seems to work better with elbow pain than leg or back pain though.

For knee pain: As was mentioned earlier, kneepads for some folks are a must.

For back pain: Make sure that your posture is good while you swing! Make sure that the pole of the detector is at a long enough length to keep you from having to keep your head down or hunched over. I've seen people who looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame while they hunted. This is asking for pain!

For elbow pain (and also leg pain): As stated by others, stretching is a good idea before hand. And stretching when you are out there in the field isn't a bad idea either. Daily exercise is also good. But I think that the best thing for elbows is to slowly and steadily increase the time you're out. When I first started, I had a lot of elbow pain--NOT a good thing for a concert pianist!!! So I gradually built up to it. I had to break the habit of gripping the detector way too firmly (this can make elbows and arms MUCH more sore over time!). I also had to perfect a swing that allowed my arm to stay straight (rather than bending the elbow with each swing). With the arm straight, it seems like the pecs move the detector more, and the only joint that is super-involved is the shoulder. I have never had any rotator cuff problems or any other shoulder problems from this though.

Anyhow, I got to the point that I could hunt for 8 hours straight for several days back-to-back without serious soreness each morning. It took MONTHS to get there.

Regards,

Buckleboy

HaveFaith

Apr 4, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Prizm II, White's PI Pro, Sov. GT
Hi Everyone, new here, been MD'ing for a few months. I just want to say that I started MD'ing after having surgery on a Rotator Cuff Tear. It has been a long, painful journey. I had the surgery in Oct. 06. MD'ing has been 50% of my healing, Physical Therapy making up the other 50%, and still in therapy. I usually have problems with my hips, shoulders, (need surgery on the other arm), and back. I try to keep my posture in line, sometimes good posture makes it worse. ??? But I find that taking a nice hot shower and some Tylenol helps. Takes a few days to get back to normal. HH all and good luck with the finds.

Eileena

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I can say is 800mg of Motrin, works every time! ;D

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
lucky1777 said:
The first couple of hunts after the winter hiatus is a killer. You will get used to it after a few hunts. Now go take some Ibuprofen and get back out there. :D

This is SO true. I feel like I have been imoblie for years, and it's only been a couple months of hibernating. I managed one full day of swinging (with a few breaks), then the next day I managed about 6 hours (with breaks) then sat in the truck to drink some water. Next thing I know a hunting bud was shaking me to make sure I was still alive, LOL. I fell asleep in a hard ole car seat.

It takes a while to get the endurance up and you have to keep at it to get your bod used to it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I hear ya Grib. The mind is willing but the body is weak. ;) The main thing is don't overextend yourself. After all, it's supposed to be fun--not a marathon. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread