Is Colorado a good metal detecting friendly state?

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wanted to move by the rockies or mountains type area, head up north up that general area for as long as i can remember. Looks like that dream may finally materialize in the next year or two:hello2:.

My concern is basically land availability to the public. Can a fellow and kids if they come take a hike out find a nice creek coming in off the mountains and metal detect/pan for gold, something like that? or is it all pretty much off limits to have a good time there? Maybe a pay a day thing or something? Lot of good panning creeks type area, no unreasonable expectations and busting at the seams with gold kinda deal, but yet nice to find a lil sliver or two here and there. If i am pipe dreaming and there is no chance at enjoying a daily or even a few day a week escape to nature scenario i am thinking of to have a good time enjoying this hobby tell me, man you are pipe dreaming! lol

Also another location i was keen to is placerville california. Closer to the mountains, you know the whole tranquil nature scenery has to be there for me. Possible good place and hobbyist friendly?

My goal is to find something near an area that has a gold rush history and all the relics, camps, gear and things to find that come along with this history not to make a living at or anything like that but to have a good time, access to be able to have a good time, and just enjoy getting out of the house and do something we all enjoy doing while connecting with what is in my opinion some of the best countryside and nature america has to offer.

or any place like the above that you guys with experience could recommend. The nature scenery is the most important part. Anything else would be a bonus.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold.png

This is a image i found while looking up best areas in colorado for gold. Thing is i have no idea how to read it. I see it has multi colored squares. But what do they mean? I see there is a good sized splotch of squares over in the western side of the maps that appears to be in the general grand junction area. Also where i personally considered moving to, idaho springs there is also a fair amount of squares. Im not tied down to any one particular area, so long as it has a good job market, natural scenery, and good gold panning opportunities.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in the wrong spot...I mean on Treasure Net. Scroll on down to the gold prospecting section. There are 2 or 3 guys from CO that post there. They do find gold. Kevin or Prospector70 can help you out. There are quite a few in California too.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thanks for the tip i will repost it over there

Top Member Reactions