jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm headed to Panama City Beach, FL in less than a month and I plan on taking my detector with me. I own a Garrett ACE 350 so I know to stay away from spraying surf as it's not waterproof. But, I am wondering where the best spots on a beach are to detect.

Are there any specific areas to look before I start free styling and enjoying the view/weather hoping to stumble upon something. I have never detected a beach before, so all the info I can gather would be greatly appreciated and put to use.

Thanks in advance and Happy Hunting.

collision

Jul 14, 2014
Temecula
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does'nt know more about beach detecting area. But I think Metal detecting in beach is really a good idea. Beaches and other swimming areas are places where jewelries tend to be lost by the owner. You might find it when metal detect in such a place.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am by no means an expert but I have detected a few beaches in my area. I like to search the narrow dune crossings first wear people first get on the beach. I then concentrate on the areas where people tend to sit the most. More then likely the best area is the shallow water but I don't have a waterproof machine either. My machine goes bonkers when I get try to detect in to wet of the sand so i tend to stay in the drier sand.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the beach in the evening or early morning after folks have left or before they arrive and concentrate on the "towel line", or where everyone lays out their towels and blankets just above the high tide mark. Get a GOOD SANDSCOOP!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the beach and see where mist peopke stay. You will have trouble hunting the wet sand since your detector is single freq so concentrate on the dry sand area.....

As far as when, go as often and as long as you can......

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info, I will put it all to good use. Hopefully I will have a lot of pictures of some good finds from Panama City Beach. Also, I will definitely have to get a good sand scoop, never even thought about that part of it, lol thanks for the tip.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go at the busiest time of the day to see where the towels line up. As Terry said, just back from the high tide line. If there are concessions, search within the 100 yard areas on both sides of the pier. If there are volleyball nets, check those out. You MUST get there before sunset as the PROS will work all night. Early morning is already too late. Your 350 will be limited to the drier sand. DO NOT dig the dunes that have grass on them! You will be fined if caught and possibly lose the machine. TTC

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go at the busiest time of the day to see where the towels line up. As Terry said, just back from the high tide line. If there are concessions, search within the 100 yard areas on both sides of the pier. If there are volleyball nets, check those out. You MUST get there before sunset as the PROS will work all night. Early morning is already too late. Your 350 will be limited to the drier sand. DO NOT dig the dunes that have grass on them! You will be fined if caught and possibly lose the machine. TTC

Good advice, especially about digging around grass. Never would have thought of that or the punishment that would've followed. Thanks again...

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett at Pro and I was wondering will it work okay even in the salt water because I do realize that it is waterproof but how about Will it work okay in the salt water

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not up on the AT PRO but if it is a VLF probably not good for in the water. TTC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is designed to be able to be used in the water to 10 ft. It runs at a single 15 kHz freq and was designed to be used in salt water, but it is still a single frequency detector, multi freq and pulse induction detectors perform much better in saltwater environment..

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which is considered better, TH?
Depends on your beach. The more iron trash the less value a pi is...Since you already have the AT Pro go with that and see how you do....

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry, could you please expand on what you said about getting there before sunset? If the PROS work all night, then do they stake claims? Do fights break out over territory?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, could you please expand on what you said about getting there before sunset? If the PROS work all night, then do they stake claims? Do fights break out over territory?
No fights, no claims staked, the beach has been cleaned by hunters over night........

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See Treasure Hunter above. Not only is the beach "cleaned out" by sunrise but there are less people to work around and cooler (no sun). TTC

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Some beaches have sifting machines that ride up and down the busy sections at night to clean up trash left in the sand from the previous day. I have often wondered about how deep they sift, and the size of the items/trash they are able to pick up? I would suspect that if the screens are small enough, that they would capture a lot of the coins and jewelry that is left in the dry sand area. Does anyone have any experience with these "sand sweepers", and know what they are capable of finding, and if the machine operators get many of the goodies?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's my simple advice.
On beaches with consessions/ boardwalk, watch where the people lay/setup. That is the best area for value finds.
On beaches with dunes, The access trails are best for coins and the high surf mark at low tide all the way down to the wet sand is best for jewelry.

Use what you have for a detector, but PI detectors are king of the beach. My 14+ year old surfmaster will pull coins out of black magnetic sand and rings at ,at least 10".

Now for a scoop, holes small enough to stop a dime are best and a long handle is kind to the back. Here's my 14 year old custom. Frank...- five star.png

Tool scoop-700.jpg Rubber covered conduit shaft. SS basket. SS bolts. Aluminum rivets.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my simple advice.
On beaches with consessions/ boardwalk, watch where the people lay/setup. That is the best area for value finds.
On beaches with dunes, The access trails are best for coins and the high surf mark at low tide all the way down to the wet sand is best for jewelry.

Use what you have for a detector, but PI detectors are king of the beach. My 14+ year old surfmaster will pull coins out of black magnetic sand and rings at ,at least 10".

Now for a scoop, holes small enough to stop a dime are best and a long handle is kind to the back. Here's my 14 year old custom. Frank...- View attachment 1037638

View attachment 1037639 Rubber covered conduit shaft. SS basket. SS bolts. Aluminum rivets.
For you that are making scoops, 5/8 inch holes will be as big as you want to drill and still collect dimes. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some beaches have sifting machines that ride up and down the busy sections at night to clean up trash left in the sand from the previous day. I have often wondered about how deep they sift, and the size of the items/trash they are able to pick up? I would suspect that if the screens are small enough, that they would capture a lot of the coins and jewelry that is left in the dry sand area. Does anyone have any experience with these "sand sweepers", and know what they are capable of finding, and if the machine operators get many of the goodies?
"Big John" was the supervisor at the Bradford Beach pavilion in Milwaukee. He operated the "sweeper". And yes, he went through the screens after every sweep to look for the goodies. Sweeping the beach was not a supervisor's job but he knew the potential of finding jewelry and coins. And nobody talked back to Big John. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread