AA Reachargeable Batteries - Recommendations?

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Tenergy. They work well and last a long time. Make sure you get the smart recharger so you don't over charge them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Energizers have been really good for me.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know the "green" folks won't like this, but I find rechargeables to be more trouble than they're worth. Also, since you can get a 16 pack of Radio Shack AA batteries for $5 when they're on sale, the rechargeables actually cost more to use.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know the "green" folks won't like this, but I find rechargeables to be more trouble than they're worth. Also, since you can get a 16 pack of Radio Shack AA batteries for $5 when they're on sale, the rechargeables actually cost more to use.
Yup, seems they don't last even with proper care.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No trouble for me. I have two sets...one is four years old and the other is three years old. $10 for set of four. I have a Duracell one hour charger. The thing I like most is that I have a fully charged set of batteries every time I go hunting. Never have to worry that my low batteries are causing my machine to lose performance. Ive saved lots of money using rechargeable. I see no advantage to using regular batteries.

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rather than the 1.2 rechargeables, I use the 1.6v aa's in all my machines=last MUCH longer

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No trouble for me. I have two sets...one is four years old and the other is three years old. $10 for set of four. I have a Duracell one hour charger. The thing I like most is that I have a fully charged set of batteries every time I go hunting. Never have to worry that my low batteries are causing my machine to lose performance. Ive saved lots of money using rechargeable. I see no advantage to using regular batteries.

Its a matter of preference, thats why they still sell rechargeables. For me, the disposables are most economical. I hardly ever have to replace the eight AA batteries in my Sand Shark, so the $5 sixteen pack they sell at Radio Shack lasts me for months. And I stock up when they're on sale.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE USED DURACELL DISPOSABLES FOR YEARS AND HAVE HAD THE BEST SERVICE FROM THEM. I AM NOW CHANGING OVER TO RECHARGEABLE BATTS. I HAVE USED OTHER BRANDS ON THE RECHARGEABLE ONES AND FOUND MYSELF IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE WITH DEAD BATTERIES. MOST OF MY EQUIPMENT SHOWS THE BATTERY ICON, BUT I NOW KNOW NOT TO TRUST THEM. WITH THE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES I CAN KEEP SEVERAL EXTRA SETS ON HAND AND SAVE MYSELF THE WORRY. A GOOD TIP, IS TO MARK THE DATE OF THE FIRST CHARGE ON THEM SO YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE READY TO GO/NEED CHARGING/OR RECYCLING. I AM BUYING A FOUR PACK AND SPACING THE PURCHASES OUT OVER SEVERAL MONTHS, SO THAT WHEN THEY GO OUT, I DON'T HAVE TO REPLACE ALL OF THEM AT ONCE.
I'M STICKING WITH DURACELL BRAND, JUST BECAUSE I TRUST THEM.

HAPPY HUNTING.
MIKEL
#/;0)~

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what no one mentioned the mAh rating? this makes all the difference in the world as to battery life. I use Duracell 2450 mAh rated rechargeable batteries and they work great. Unfortunately I have yet to find any manufacture that places this rating information on the package but only on the batteries them selves. So you have to look inside of the plastic package covering the batteries and find this rating on the batteries themselves, hint its usually inside rectangle on the battery.
DC1500.jpg

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just my experience, but I have not seen any difference in battery life between bargain batteries and name brands like Duracell and Energizer. As long as the date is good, go with the cheapest you can find.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys plenty of manufacturers are making Lithium Ion AA, AAA, and 9v batteries. These are far superior to NiMh and Nicad, they last much longer and maintain charges longer. They are also very cheap look at TEnergy.

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I be concerned about performance issues using rechargeable vs. alkaline batteries? It was mentioned by ecoast that 1.6v batteries were used in their equipment rather than the 1.2v; wouldn't using 1.6v batteries be detrimental to your equipment over time?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use rechargeable batts as a backup. Some require lengthy charge times.
Regular Energizer's work best for me.
Peace

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the Rayovac Rechargeable Platinum AA 2000 mAH NIMH batteries.
I bought them on ebay for $14.99 for an 8 pack with free shipping.
I have an older Rayovac charger I use for 8 batteries at a time.
Not positive about the hours I get with a full charge but I think it's over 16 hrs.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what no one mentioned the mAh rating? this makes all the difference in the world as to battery life. I use Duracell 2450 mAh rated rechargeable batteries and they work great. Unfortunately I have yet to find any manufacture that places this rating information on the package but only on the batteries them selves. So you have to look inside of the plastic package covering the batteries and find this rating on the batteries themselves, hint its usually inside rectangle on the battery.
View attachment 1036629
My Energizers are 2300 mAh...1.2v

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread