Known outhouse location on my 1888 property

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My vote would be to research privy digs first but sure dig it if nothing else going on. Safety first! With help digging, or just someone to be able to help should you have a challenge, and dirt going through a sifter, hand or elaborate rocker onto tarps clean up and dirt replacement goes smoother. Gloves,dust mask maybe.
That first foot or two would help describe perimeter out line of hole but would be like just sticking a toe in the water.:laughing7:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pri...4HMiXyASzmIHAAw&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Last edited:

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My vote would be to research privy digs first but sure dig it if nothing else going on. Safety first! With help digging, or just someone to be able to help should you have a challenge, and dirt going through a sifter, hand or elaborate rocker onto tarps clean up and dirt replacement goes smoother. Gloves,dust mask maybe. That first foot or two would help describe perimeter out line of hole but would be like just sticking a toe in the water.:laughing7: https://www.google.com/search?q=privy+digging+pics&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nCboU864HMiXyASzmIHAAw&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

+1. Great advice there. Main concern is safety!

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
I may have to detect all my property first then dig the outhouse. I have 6.5 acres which will take a while.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , the safety advise is excellent since there could be subsurface electrical conduit. There are some very experienced privy diggers
on this site who can give you major advise - perhaps if you search for post's regarding privy digs - you can PM. some of these
folks , they'll get you headed in the right direction regarding safe techniques and the right equipment for the task .There is a
Bottle and Glass subsection if you scroll way down the forum - though it may be more about identification and values .

( I just remembered the username of one of the very experienced privy diggers it's - jgas - good luck !)

Last edited:
OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Yes , the safety advise is excellent since there could be subsurface electrical conduit. There are some very experienced privy diggers
on this site who can give you major advise - perhaps if you search for post's regarding privy digs - you can PM. some of these
folks , they'll get you headed in the right direction regarding safe techniques and the right equipment for the task .There is a
Bottle and Glass subsection if you scroll way down the forum - though it may be more about identification and values .

( I just remembered the username of one of the very experienced privy diggers it's - jgas - good luck !)

Thank you very much for the info. Wife says I have to finish remodel of house before I go doing that but she said it is ok to dig.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you very much for the info. Wife says I have to finish remodel of house before I go doing that but she said it is ok to dig.

keep the boss happy and you will be happy!

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah that is right, she did say if I could make a little money digging it then that would be alright with her. I have to dig it clean any bottles and sell them she would take care of the money yeah thanks babe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread