Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, the kids have all the answers, or at least in their phone! LOL, but they can't add or subtract anymore and have no need for an older person's advice. for some of them, as they get older, you become smarter and they begin to see that you weren't so dumb to begin with. My right foot is all gimped up because of what the young doctor did, he meant well but that was all and now the leg brace which wears you out as well. life is what we make it and everything is a perspective thing, it always could and can be worse. had to learn that sometimes you have to say "if that's the worst thing that happens today, it's been a pretty good day!" because I have had some of those worst days like a whole bunch of you have had. I bet that there are more of you out there that have struggles to deal with every day, and many with worse or harder ones than me. and I am still a very blessed man. thanks all

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be 72 on the 25th. As far as having to check what I write? I do that, then when I post it, I try to reread it again and make the edits as needed. lol

As for aging, and looking for something that you have in your hand? When I was only about 6 years old, I had a little tool set with a hammer; probably about 4 inches long. I was in the front yard and thought of something to do with the hammer. I looked around where I was sitting, but didn't see the hammer. The rest of the tools were there. I started looking, I went completely around the house weaving around the yard looking. I even went into the house and looked in my toy box. I looked all through the house. Mom saw me and asked what I was looking for. I told her. She frowned a little, then grinned, then actually laughed. I was puzzled to say the least. She just pointed down toward my hand. I thought she was pointing behind me! I turned and saw nothing behind me. I looked back at her, and guess she had pity, because she told me to look in my right hand. Talk about mortified!!! I guess it's when you're too young, and when you're too old! lol

I have carried an extra key for the car in my left pocket for about 15 years. My wife and I stopped at a store one night, on our way home from a trip. Before I went into the store, I changed from the shoes I was wearing to another pair. I turned and put the removed pair behind the seat, got out of the car, and we did our shopping. When we got back to the car, I discovered that while changing shoes, I had failed to remove the key. It was still in the ignition. I went back into the store, asked a clerk for a clothes hanger, and finally got the door open. I had two extra keys made the next day. Gave one to my wife to put in her purse and one for my pocket. No more problems.

My biggest problem is COPD. I have been trying some this summer to do a little detecting just in the back and front yards. After about 15 minutes of bending/kneeling, I begin to get breathless. I've started back doing the treadmill once or twice a week for a slow mile. I guess it helps; don't know for sure.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, when I reached my 70's I felt I was starting to get old. Hay, I built my new house in my 60's. I use to drive to NM each year and climb a certain mountain to determine if I was in good shape. Not just climbing the mountain, but driving 3K miles to do it. I have things holding me back from doing that now like money and eye site. Just had the lense in my left eye replaced. Hay, it only takes 15 minutes! Have had 3 back operations, last one was 30+ years ago. Hay that Doc did good work. I have been in 3 auto " accidents" where I should have been dead but I came out unscratched, even the vehicle. That was one pickup, one 1 ton panel delivery van and one X Grayhound bus. One total break failure downhill at 50 MPH, and two rainsoaked events (spin outs) in heavy traffic. Hay, never had an accident racing on the track!

OK for you 'old timers". I don't wear jewelry so I don't have that problem. I have a velcro or button closure on my wallet pocket. I admitt, I have been locked out from my MH, But "hide a key" saved me. Hay, I am the guy in my MH club that picks the locks on Vehicle doors to get owners back in there vehicles. Here's a big tip. YOU THINK IN PICTURES, not words. Tie a picture on to things you want to remember. When you do something like laying something down, stare at it. This places a mental picture in your memory. If you loose something, think back to your last mental picture of it. That is where it is.
I am going to stop here, I got 77 years of info and not enough room here. lol Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, knew there was a lot of good stuff out there! my wife is short so she takes care of a lot of the low stuff while I the higher. her knee gave out last year and really slowed her down but we still push on, we still have way too much to do. I used to bow hunt hard with longbows and recurves, then compounds and now with a crossbow. I have dropped back on my longbow from 66 lbs to 45 and struggle because of my sight. I love shooting the longbow but now my shoulder makes so much noise when I draw, even with the compound. so at times you feel like a has been.... but someone once told me that. that was still better than a never was. I know that there are a lot of you ben gay/ aspercreme guys and gals out there still doing your best... it is what it is and ain't what it ain't!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the problem with the "advice about "not getting old" is there is only 1 way to do that and its dying.. not so great.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would add one more thing. As you get up there, things start to ache. I have arthritis pretty bad in my right hand. One of the things I did when younger was train attack and patrol dogs, and patrol with them. Naturally my hands and arms were bitten a few times so now I'm paying the price. Anyway if you have arthritis in you hands and fingers, try a magnetic bracelet. I would have never bought one nor tried one because they can't work. Well someone gave me one and I put it on at bedtime. When I got up the next morning, my hand didn't hurt and I could make a tight fist, which I normally couldn't do for several hours after getting up. Don't know if they will work for you, but it did for me. Only cost a couple bucks to find out. Good luck if you try it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't consider myself old yet, but what drives me crazy is when I'm at home and go into a different room to do something, then when I get there forget what it was I went there for.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thought I would add one more thing. As you get up there, things start to ache. I have arthritis pretty bad in my right hand. One of the things I did when younger was train attack and patrol dogs, and patrol with them. Naturally my hands and arms were bitten a few times so now I'm paying the price. Anyway if you have arthritis in you hands and fingers, try a magnetic bracelet. I would have never bought one nor tried one because they can't work. Well someone gave me one and I put it on at bedtime. When I got up the next morning, my hand didn't hurt and I could make a tight fist, which I normally couldn't do for several hours after getting up. Don't know if they will work for you, but it did for me. Only cost a couple bucks to find out. Good luck if you try it.

Perhaps, just perhaps, it's all in your mind! Hay wait a minute, let me explane! Your mind controls everything. You just have to learn how to control it. When food just doesn't want to go down because of a gas buildup in my tummy, I concentrate my thoughts on opening the exit to it. If I think hard enough, I can feel the contents gurgling into my intestants and instant relief. Took me a while to figure this out, but it can be done. When I am cold, I can make myself 'shivver' which is the bodies way of instant warm up. I can even stop, or minimize some pain by concertration. If that doesn't work, I reach for the Aleive. Hay just my ways, Frank...- five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i am 74 and the only operation i ever had was a steel plate put in my hip back in 1995 and that was needed for i was in a car accident … Never really had any problems with the hip since that plate put in it…. My whole life never took any over the counter medication's except for aspirin and baking soda.. Had 2 small storers back in 1999 but recovered from them with out any type of problems… You could call me ..LUCKY … but i will stick with ..keppy...

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well i am 74 and the only operation i ever had was a steel plate put in my hip back in 1995 and that was needed for i was in a car accident … Never really had any problems with the hip since that plate put in it…. My whole life never took any over the counter medication's except for aspirin and baking soda.. Had 2 small storers back in 1999 but recovered from them with out any type of problems… You could call me ..LUCKY … but i will stick with ..keppy...

Hay Keppy, You bring up a good point. That being medicine. When you see on TV about all the warnings on med. advertisement, you begin to wonder is the relief worth the 'by product' dangers? and then you see the class action med. suites ads by the lawyers.
Hay I don't put any medicine in me unless a doctor pushes it, which is seldom. Over the counter meds, maybe a couple of times a year.
Hay, what does that metal plate read as on your detector? Frank...- five star.png

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hay Keppy, You bring up a good point. That being medicine. When you see on TV about all the warnings on med. advertisement, you begin to wonder is the relief worth the 'by product' dangers? and then you see the class action med. suites ads by the lawyers.
Hay I don't put any medicine in me unless a doctor pushes it, which is seldom. Over the counter meds, maybe a couple of times a year.
Hay, what does that metal plate read as on your detector? Frank...- View attachment 1038993
I have tried with all my detectors and pin pointers and i get no sound or reading from my hip… But i do know that when in the water and i try to float on my back it is hard to keep my legs up since it was put in i noticed that the first time in the water after it was put in ...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My biggest problem is COPD. I have been trying some this summer to do a little detecting just in the back and front yards. After about 15 minutes of bending/kneeling, I begin to get breathless. I've started back doing the treadmill once or twice a week for a slow mile. I guess it helps; don't know for sure.

I was a Respiratory Therapist for a number of years so I recommend deep breathing exercises!

Slowly breath in the air through the nose (to warm and humidify the air)
Count slowly to 7 (or whatever number is comfortable)
Then exhale through the mouth slowly (count to 7)
Do this for 10 to 15 minutes per day, 3x per day
If you start to feel dizzy you are blowing off too much CO2 so breath in and out into a paper bag for a few times until you feel ok
This is called "The cleansing breath" it will and can do wonders for COPD!

Best of luck!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey you guys are just trying to make me feel better... and you're doing a pretty good job of it. my wife and I seem to take turns telling the other that we need to do something, like zip my pants up! after yelling at my wife for several minutes, I remember to ask if she has he hearing aid in. the list goes on and on for most of us older ones. usually there is someone I see that puts me in my place, someone who is struggling just to exist and I know that I really don't have any problems compared to them. I am truly a very blessed man (having a wonderful wife for a friend really helps too)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in trouble then!I am 33 going on 53.I have always took you as being younger!Glad you found your phone man!Stay humble:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey, I have the mind of a 15 year old, it is always getting me in trouble! most of these guys probably feel in their hearts that they are younger but their bodies and minds just let them down here and there... we just have to pace ourselves and I refuse to give up or give in! My wife says that I am constantly getting up and moving to the next signal, I tell her that I have to do as much as I can while I can before I am too sore. this means early in the mornings before it gets too hot. the other day I ripped out the crotch of my carhart overalls, they get washed four or five times a week from metal detecting... already sewed up with heavy duty line and back in action! My wife thought it was funny

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hey, I have the mind of a 15 year old, it is always getting me in trouble! most of these guys probably feel in their hearts that they are younger but their bodies and minds just let them down here and there... we just have to pace ourselves and I refuse to give up or give in! My wife says that I am constantly getting up and moving to the next signal, I tell her that I have to do as much as I can while I can before I am too sore. this means early in the mornings before it gets too hot. the other day I ripped out the crotch of my carhart overalls, they get washed four or five times a week from metal detecting... already sewed up with heavy duty line and back in action! My wife thought it was funny
Carhartt … that is the brand i like best …I have more Carhartt clothes than any other type..

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RustyGold, thanks for the advice. I have a bad habit of not breathing properly. I breath shallow, in and out, then deep, in and out. It's always been a problem that I can't seem to break. I've done it since I quit smoking in 2000. As long as I'm conscious of how I'm breathing, ok; but when my mind isn't right on it, I breath erratically. I do try to do some of the exercise you mentioned; just not long or often enough. I'll try to improve! As far as being over oxygenated, I haven't had that problem in several years. I can sit and breath long, deep, and never get light headed. I guess my lungs are too far gone. About 18 months ago, a breathing test for lung function showed that I have only 27%. Two years earlier, it showed 35%.
Again, thanks!

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtlooter
Who ever said " These are the Golden Years".....must have been color blind,and could en`t tell the difference between Gold and RUST !
Gary

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, as the old saying goes, You are only as old as you feel! There's also, Age is only a number.
When you really see your age is when you hit the bathroom before going to bed. You remove your teeth, your hearing aid, your glasses, etc,etc,etc, Hay maybe you are turning into the bionic man!
Frank...- five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread