Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know exactly what everyone is talking about. Heck I remember when ........... What were we talking about again?

Hell, I can't remember either...? :occasion14:

Dirtlooter.... "we were boys".... is right on. :occasion14: I was about 10-11 years old and staying at my Grandparents house in MO. for a month or so during summer vacation. Me and a cousin helped Grandma pick and can tomatoes for an entire day. There were lots of bad tomatoes still on vines and the ground in garden. After we were done helping can tomatoes we decided to go out back to the pond and swim. While Chuck and I were walking through garden he picked up a small rotten tomato and hit me right in the chest with it and headed to other end of garden laughing. So while he was running away about 20 yds. I picked up a huge rotten one and "shot put" it up high toward Chuck. It was to rotten to throw normally. When he stopped and turned it nailed him square between the eyes and almost knocked him down. Perfect throw (1 in a million shot). After that we had one hell of a tomato fight in the garden. The fight was on.... and then we swam.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, one time in the middle of an agreed upon dried cow manure fight, my older cousin, Mike, who was 6'4" and weighed over 200 lbs and pretty mean in spirit, caught me and another up in the barn loft. He began slinging the wet stuff and some splattered on my new pants (it was Easter and we were supposed to stay clean) so I grabbed a big handful to throw back. Mike had begun to sneak around the barn to hit us from behind but there were so many cracks between the boards I could see him clearly and moved to a better spot to wait on him. as he approached, head down as he maneuvered around farm stuff, I slung it as hard as I could and yelled "MIKE!". I can still see his face as he looked upwards and the fresh green glob hit him in the face across the eyes! He wore glasses and as he jerked them off, I could see the bright red of his angry face contrasted against the bright green! He cussed hard and loud as he headed down to the pond to wash his face off and all of us boys clambered down and out of the barn as fast as we could knowing full well that he meant to hurt us! I threw rocks at him until the smaller kids had made it safely to the house and then I ran for it myself, we stayed inside until we left (safely with the adults). normally I would have gotten my butt busted big time for getting the pants stained but my Mother never had like ole Mike and quietly chuckled when the others told her what had happened. there was no or very limited TV and we weren't allowed to stay inside and watch it so we made our own fun, the more boys, the more fun! or trouble, all according to how you looked at it. Jerry

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
getting ready to go to the big city of Ft Smith, going to the oral surgeon in the morning to get this abscessed tooth pulled but I just had to write one more little funny. Ralph was (and still is) a small slender freckled boy that thought that he was a really fast runner and he was. however this one day he announced that he was certain that he could out run a BB shot from a BB gun, so as boys, it had to be found out. Ralph was given a five step lead and he was running as fast as he could when the BB hit him square between the shoulder blades! it was all agreed upon that Ralph had in fact, actually sped up somewhat after it hit him. of course everyone was laughing so hard that their sides hurt, well except for Ralph, who just smiled as all looked at the whelp on his back. He said that it hurt about the same as a yellow jacket sting and that he had no future plans on ever trying that again (edited of course). so I guess part of getting older is having those memories that make you grin as you remember them. you guys and gals out there have plenty of your own, many that would bust a gut from laughing so hard. I hope something in these comments has got you to remembering something funny from your past.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ralph was actually lucky! Around here we learned that if you took out that retaining wire/spring from our Daisy Red Riders and bent it down before reinserting it, The BB would penetrate a coke can on both sides. In theory, the pressure would build up higher before the BB forced past the spring and as any shooter knows, more speed = more penetration. Frank...- five star.png

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just made my day dirtlooter!! Until today I thought I was the ONLY 57 yr old who felt like you do! KEEP IT SWINGIN

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could have about two, maybe four years to just sit and write the things that I remember from my first memories through today. I really believe it would it would take that long; provided my mind didn't 'quit on me'. I recall the first dream that I remember having when I was about a year and a half old. It was about a 'playhouse' that Dad built for me and my high-chair was in it. I was at the back screen door looking and looking. Mom saw me and asked what I was looking for. I told her I was looking for the playhouse that Dad had built for me. When she realized what had happened, she sat down with me and explained it to me.

I remember that we had an outhouse when we lived there (in the country). I remember 4 big robust men having to strain a lot to get Mom's new wood cook stove into the kitchen. We had a wood heater in the living room.

I trying to not get started on a writing binge!

I remember having an outhouse at the house Dad bought when I was about 5 years old. About a year later we built a bathroom. The house had no running water inside. There was a faucet about 10 feet from the porch (city water). All the electrical wiring was on the outside of the walls in the house. Dad and an uncle remedied all of that during the next couple of years.

We later bought a place in the country that had no running water when I was about 13 years old. The hand-pump was broken in the kitchen. The outhouse was about 40 feet from the back door. After we got the pump fixed, we found out that the water wasn't drinkable. We hauled water in 55 gallon barrels for over 6 months before Dad finally gave up and sold the place.

And on, and on. I'm too old to try to write all that I remember; but wish I had the 'gumption' to try it. Oh, I'll be 72 if I live until Monday, the 25th.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The problem is one memory leads to another, actually that is a good thing. One of the things I remembered first about the outhouses was checking for the spiders, especially black widows and brown recuses, scorpions and red wasp nests. It was quite a while before we had actual toilet paper, we had news paper and old catalogs and in a real bind, old corn cobs. Our out house was the old weathered board,that you could see out of with the rusty tin roof that of course leaked. In 62 the well was drilled and the old hand dug well covered never to be side again. My grandparents had this really big school bell mounted on a high post which in years past before the telephone, was used to tell the distant community of emergencies. However, by my time, it had multiple layers of red wasp nests inside it, the base being around a foot across. The big thrill was catching someone, another kid, too close to it and popping the bell with a BB gun. The horde would drop down and the kid would be both running for the house and screaming in terror! Of course we were laughing until it was our turn to be caught. Back then we caught so many snakes, tarantulas, lizards, scorpions, toads and frogs out of boredom and that was before we really knew what was what, my grand mother and aunts stayed inside with the doors locked. Yeah, I had an on going relationship with the belt and the switch, especially with the snakes. Thanks everyone for your comments

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
finally got the tooth pulled this morning, sure feels a lot better, got my new Sampson Pro digger yesterday, seems like it is 31 inches, has the ball tip end and looks awesome. it will be a great help to me in getting back up for those days or moments when the body is griping. so I am rearing to go in the morning, new batteries, new digger and no more tooth ache!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, GMD52, I can still remember a lot; but don't know for how much longer. Wish I'd continued writing some of the stuff down back in the early 2000s. I had about 6 or 7 'computer' pages full; but lost a hard drive. Just never started over.

Dirtlooter, yes, that's my problem. I'll writing one thing and while I'm typing, something else comes to mind that I feel is relevant. First thing I know, I have so much that no one's going to want to spent that much time reading it, even if it's interesting to them!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yeah, GMD52, I can still remember a lot; but don't know for how much longer. Wish I'd continued writing some of the stuff down back in the early 2000s. I had about 6 or 7 'computer' pages full; but lost a hard drive. Just never started over.

Dirtlooter, yes, that's my problem. I'll writing one thing and while I'm typing, something else comes to mind that I feel is relevant. First thing I know, I have so much that no one's going to want to spent that much time reading it, even if it's interesting to them!

I know the feeling. Sometimes, when I am researching a cache, I find a clue to another cache. The switching thoughts back and forth are enough to drive you craze. I now just note the extraneous info on a pad I keep handy and continue on the original cache search. Hay, 77 and the memory is still hanging in there! Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ever write something down on the palm of your hand so you won't forget and forget what it means? how about going to town just to fill up on gas, getting there and end up shopping, coming home and then realize that you didn't fill up?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The trick to winning in life is remembering the important things, That's why I write them down! lol
Frank...- five star.png Uncle sam 1  700.jpg Of course, now a days, the Gov. does that for
you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions