Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Civil War-Era Cannonballs Detonated in NY Quarry
By The Associated Press Aug 13, 2014, 12:45 PM
SOUTH GLENS FALLS, N.Y. — About 180 Civil War-era cannonballs found on the grounds of the nation's oldest arsenal have been detonated in an upstate New York quarry.

Army 1st Sgt. Kieran Dollard of the Fort Drum-based 725th Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit says the cannonballs were found on the grounds of the Watervliet (wah-ter-vuh-LEET') Arsenal, on the Hudson River just north of Albany.

The explosives were moved 40 miles north to a quarry in South Glens Falls, where they were detonated Tuesday.

Dollard says the cannonballs may have had some black powder residue inside, so they had to be destroyed.

A spokesman for the U.S. Army arsenal says the cannonballs had been found on the grounds during construction projects over the years and stored in the facility's museum, which closed last fall.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess that makes the remaining ones even more valuable

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that makes the remaining ones even more valuable

Makes sense..... When I found 151 1864 $20.00 gold coins I didn't want to bring down the value of the others so I just left them. No sense pissing off the other coin holders I say. :tongue3: They didn't do nothing to me. :occasion14:

OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are ways of removing the powder without destroying them! .........with the correct equipment!

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are all safer now……these were in a museum which closed and suddenly became dangerous…….sort of missing how exactly.
Cannonballguy has spoken on this topic and what a shame…...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread