sidelined, Help!

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so I haven't been able to hunt since spring (awaiting surgery on both feet gaaah have to wait till October 1st) and I have been fueling my need to metal detect by watching youtube vids, reading articles and newsletters from various companies/websites and of course being a creeper here on the forms. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can read or view online? (for metal detecting) any suggestions would be great. Going stir crazy a bit. Thanks in advance all. :hello:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
READ "DE RE METALICA". THAT WILL HOLD YOUR ATTENTION FOR A WHILE. IT IS A LITTLE BIT LIKE READING A PHONE BOOK, BUT IT HOLDS A GREAT DEAL OF INFORMATION ON MINING AND SMELTING ORE. IT WAS TRANSLATED , I THINK, FROM GERMAN INTO SPANISH, AND THEN FROM SPANISH INTO ENGLISH. SMALL BITS OF INFO ARE HIDDEN AMONGST THOUSANDS OF PIECES OF DETAILED HISTORICAL DATA.
IT'S AVAILABLE ON LINE FOR $FREE!

HOPE THIS HELPS.
MIKEL
#/;0)~

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope it all works out for the better for you on the surgery, if you get too bored you can always write a book, it is a lot easier now on these lap tops and computers. I wrote three long ones, never published while I went through my problems, kept me sane and gave my brain the exercise it needed

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modify your machines, (without voiding warranty), airtest everything in your home, etc. Even give coin roll searching a try. I've found semi-valuable error cents during off months.
Research prospective sites. "Google Earth" past sites. Categorize finds. Make display cases for finds. Etc...
Best wishes on a fast recovery!
Good luck...
Peace

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This maybe a long shot but I'll put it out there anyway. I know Calgary doesn't quite have the history as Winnipeg but here's what I would do......
If I couldn't do this on my own, I would get someone to help put me and a kayak in the river and paddle up and down eyeballing the banks.
I personally knew Don Starkell (Paddle to the Amazon) and his bottle/relic collection was incredible, just from going around the city, down the Red River by kayak.
Not sure how possible this would be for you but I was just brainstorming on how you could get out and satisfy the treasure itch without the use of your feet.
I hope you can make it until October without going too stir crazy!
Cheers,
Dave.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen the Beau Ouimette aka AQuachigger videos? He has some amazing finds.

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospectormikal: sounds like a plan! and you can't go wrong for free. Thanks! Dirtlooter: what a great idea! I have been keeping journals for quite some time. since I will be out for a while it may just be what I need. Thanks a bunch! Cincinattikid, sounds like a great idea as well. I have seen coin searching here on the forums. Not sure if it would be as beneficial here in Canada. I will check it out though. Muddyhandz; my hunting partner took me to the river and I was able to get to the river. we detected and fished for a while (I was able to sit on a bucket). we did okay no special finds, but the time out was priceless. He is in the process of getting a jon boat. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope I am able to get to the boat. I'll post and let you know how we do. Susan; I have not seen Aquachigger. I will check out the vids for sure. Thanks for the post! Once again the folks here at the forums have come through with more great ideas. Thanks a bunch. This will keep me busy for quite some time. :D Cheers all!

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read your manual a few times to pull out some hunting techniques you want to perfom. read manuals of other machines online to see how they are used, and adapt that to your detector. I buried some coins and small caches around the yard to test my different coils. I have other hobbys that also worl alongside the detecting aspect. Im waiting for them to cut the water off at the rio right now so I can go there. Being disabled myself I plan my trips to be short but productive. If your just not able to dig or hunt at all, there is more videos than you can watch in a year on treasure hunting. Get your research done now so when you go its all dig time. Good Luck, you are not alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions