Ive long wanted to share this weird THing tale. I can easily pass a polygraph.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've long wanted to share this weird TH'ing tale. I can easily pass a polygraph.

In the late 1970s, I was hunting near one of the many long-abandoned houses in historic southern NJ. I had found a beauty tucked in the woods, down a dirt road.

While I had never once been uneasy while hunting near old homesteads, the instant I approached this one the proverbial hairs on the back of my neck stood up. In fact, I had an entire body shutter. My TH’ing attention also stood up when I quickly hit a sweet little “spot” bottle dump.

Even within the throes of a bottle-digging frenzy, I was absolutely bombarded with odd feelings from the nearby house. I tried turning my back to it. That really intensified the creeps I was feeling. In fact, I felt better when I was fully facing it … until something caught my eye in a top floor, broken-out window.

I literally dropped my digging tool when, as clear as frickin’ day, I saw a young girl in a white gown standing inside a third floor window -- plain as day! We even made intense eye contact.

It was such a purely human-on-human eye-lock, I figured there were squatters/homeless living in the building. That somewhat relieving theory melted away as the girl seemingly backed from view and I looked at the house closer, seeing signs of a fire on the ancient cedar shake siding. I t
hen went with the standby possibility of kids playing around inside. That didn't jibe. This girl was maybe 10 years old, hardly the age group you'd expect to be in an abandoned building, hootin’ it up for fun. What's more, she wore a truly somber look.

I soon began to fret that an abandoned child might be in there. Hey, the mind commences to bouncing wildly around when spooked to hell and back.

I began the typical series of “Hello?” shouts, while walking toward the house’s back porch.

The porch area added to the growing freakiness. It was burnt and partially collapsed. However, there was access inside via concrete steps, once part of the porch. I made a mental note that the naked ground at the base of the steps had no signs of foot or shoe prints.

I climbed the four steps, to the gaping doorless backdoor opening. I continued calling out, adding, “Is everybody OK in there?”

Nobody could be OK in there. The place was burnt out. What’s more, the clearly visible stairway to the second floor was burnt away from the bottom, a few charred stairs hung down from above. There was no getting to the second, much less the third, floor. Spooky weird.

I backed out and quickly plowed through waist-high weeds to the front porch, which offered absolutely no access, having fully collapsed. I also checked a downward-facing side-cellar entrance. Much of the first-floor fire debris had collapsed into the cellar.

I backed away to where I had been digging, looking up at the third-floor window. No little girl.

I was outta there.

Just to show how seriously I took this absolutely weird experience, I drove to the next closest house (horse farm) to have them call the police. I soon kinda wished I hadn't. The gal and daughter that greeted me at the door looked sincerely bothered when I explained why I wanted the police called. It was the daughter who told me the house had burnt down in the 1930s and that a small girl, sleeping upstairs, had perished. I went from feeling freaked-out to nauseous.

Yes, the cops came and went over to the house with me. They pretty much went through the exact same procedure as I had, even the shouting up part.

I was a tad put off when they fairly quickly decided to quit the investigation. I got downright pissed off when I felt they were dissing me, questioning my accountability. Not so. The senior officer walked over and showing a lot more emotion than your average cop told me “Believe me, this is not the first report like this we've gotten from here. Same young girl, in white clothes, in that same window.” Wow. I felt both scared and validated. Me and the cop stood there for a solid minute looking up at the window. Nothing.The law left. I climbed into my truck.

I had dug a couple real decent bottles before my, uh, sighting but chose to leave them where they lay. I literally wanted no part of this place --- and I especially distrusted bringing anything home from there.

The remnants of the house burnt all the way to the ground about a year later. I was told, way behind the scenes, the neighbors had done it. Actually, that made sense to me.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a creepy story and well told ! Though I personally have never seen what I believed to be a ghost , I do believe that
many people actually have - The American novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote a short story in 1856 in which he recounts
his own ghost sighting of one Reverend Thaddeus Harris . I find the story interesting because Rev. Harris happens to be
my 4 X great grandfather . The sighting/s took place over several occasions in the Dorchester Atheneum .( This was
and still is a library near Boston ,MA). Hawthorne continued to see the old gentleman in his customary chair , several
times well after his demise is a matter of public record . Anyone interested in this short story can Google it by entering
The Ghost of Dr. Harris / Nathaniel Hawthorne into the search box . (Not trying to hi jack this post just another
interesting story ) .
(Apparently the events as witnessed by Hawthorne took place in 1842 - he was eventually
persuaded by a friend to give an account of them )

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sad they brunt down her house,now where is she too go.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well told!You should feel fortunate.Not to many people get to experience something like that.And most will never believe you.

gulfcoaster

May 11, 2014
Pensacola, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, White's Bullseye TRX, Stealth Classic 8" Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a dream that I was a toothpick, and some guy picked his teeth with me after a big baby-back rib dinner.

It was sooo gross. To this day, I still can't eat barbecue....

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think a ghost has ever hurt someone...unless you count running into trees and stuff like that...I don't believe in ghosts but Bigfoot is real, just look at the Patterson film.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Many years ago, I saw a ghost. My family was off to Mexico for two weeks and I was home alone.

Sleeping, I woke up suddenly, and as I woke up a little blond girl wearing the sort of night gown my sister would have worn in the 40's and 50's. went running out of my bedroom and down the hall. Fortunately, my heart is solid or I wouldn't be here now.

In a minute, I realized some loud sound had woken me from a sound sleep and for an instant my mind mixed a dream with my actual vision. I could understand perfectly why people believe they have seen a ghost.

I do not claim all ghost images happen when being waked very fast. I am only telling what happened to me.

O

Old Silver

tigerbeetle, I for one, believe you, and not just because of the chills I got while reading your story. Thank you for posting.

P.S. Ignore those who have no ability to believe.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tigerbeetle, I for one, believe you, and not just because of the chills I got while reading your story. Thank you for posting.

P.S. Ignore those who have no ability to believe.
If there were ghosts, why doesn't one ever hang around long enough for people to gather around and have a look...doesn't it seem strange that only one person sees it and just for a few seconds? Come on, not ONE ghost has hung around for a crowd to gather up and get a good look? If there were ghosts , they wouldn't appear and disappear, there would just be ghosts. Think about it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come detect with us.

maxresdefault.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there were ghosts, why doesn't one ever hang around long enough for people to gather around and have a look...doesn't it seem strange that only one person sees it and just for a few seconds?

They exist only in one mind. Or for one mind at that time, anyway. I don't believe in ghosts but I do believe we don't have an answer for all possibilities at this time. In fact, we don't even have a good definition of time yet. Perhaps some part of the little girl that was still is? You only see what your brain tells you; and the brain is easily fooled.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was helping out at a local church mowing and weed whacking in the cemetery, till they got a new grounds keeper. My wife would use the riding mower the church owned while I weed eat around the tombstones. Never cared much for those places, guess scary movies as a kid? Anyhow it was getting late on me, kind of getting dark and I was trying to get out of that graveyard as fast as possible. Father in law lived close by and slipped up behind me with a cold soda to drink. Came very close to hitting him with the weedeater. Startled me the worst in my life. Don't know for sure about the ghost thing, but I've heard my grandmother before she passed talk of such things where she was raised up in the mountains. I personally don't want to see anything.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My plan to put inflatable little girls in all the abandoned houses to scare away the other TH'ers would have worked perfectly, if it wasn't for you meddling kids and your dog.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe in Ghosts but I have had experiences I can't fully explain.

I was at a Local park, I believe Late 80's early 90's and a Young girl 15 -16 dressed in clothes that may have been worn
in the 60's walked up to me & started chatting me up.

I took my headphones off & lay'd the detector on the ground .

She talked like I would expect someone in the mid to late 20's or older to talk.
complete Trust & curious about the machine I was using.

At one point she asked, Could that find the Heart Locket I lost over at the Pool ?
the pool by the way is next to the Park. and I said to her Probably If I could get permission.
We talked a little more & she said I gotta go & Walked the direction My Back was pointed.

I bent over picked up my detector & Turned to watch her walk away & there was nobody.
I had a clear view at least a few hundred feet all directions.
That little Girl must have been Fast :laughing7:

Not sure how long after, I got invited into the Pool area to hunt

I still have my most memorable Find, But it's only the front
& if I remember correctly it was about 2 to 3 inches deep

DSCF0001.JPG

I still have it in case she is still there :tongue3:

I guess I should start carrying it with me for her since she runs away so fast :tongue3:

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tigerbeetle just that story made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Jeffofpa, Were you able to date the locket at all? Maybe the rest is still there. I think there is a reason you found it and its story isn't over yet. Did you research any drowning at the pool?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tigerbeetle just that story made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Jeffofpa, Were you able to date the locket at all? Maybe the rest is still there. I think there is a reason you found it and its story isn't over yet. Did you research any drowning at the pool?

No It has no Markings which makes it hard to date.

I've never heard of a Drowning, But a Young girl had been Hit & killed on the road
in the Direction she walked. I know it was before this girl talked to me,
But I don't know how long before. I just remember the News paper report
popped into my head after this event.

One thing to remember tough we have allot of people in this area who dress plain
so seeing a girl dressed in old style clothes is not completely strange even today yet.

Yes I'm still not convinced I'm not crazy :tongue3:

according to the Tax Site the Pool Buildings date to 1970

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions