Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oh I have seen them and I cringe as they hit the ground, You really become conscience of them once you begin detecting

gulfcoaster

May 11, 2014
Pensacola, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, White's Bullseye TRX, Stealth Classic 8" Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I think I have a solution....read my sig.

Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know 100% of the kids and people that do that...you see my friend, I was born in 1955 and back in those days you had no choice...the pull tab and ring came off all in one...it depends though if you were just sitting at the picnic table or getting ready to ride your bike and get a tasty beverage...pull the ring tab and toss it and drink in one hand and handle bar on the other and baseball glove hanging on the other and going to the field to play some baseball and then 30 years later going back to that same field and try and get some coins...hmmmm, wonder if any of those coins I found were actually mine...one never knows...

Gary

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"he stay-tab opening mechanism characteristic of most drinking cans since approximately 1980"
However, In 1959, Ermal Fraze devised a can-opening method that would come to dominate the canned beverage market. His invention was the "pull-tab".
That's a good +20 years in most areas where pulltabs were the bain of MD'ers. Over 20 years, a hell of a lot of pulltabs can be tossed.
And today, there are still figit-wigit people who have to pull off the stay-tab because it's just fun to them. Who knew the stay-tab might not stay anywhere
except the next park you decide to hunt. :)

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friends living in states with coastal waters: I urge you to write your congressperson to draft a bill that requires "standard aluminum pull tabs to dislodge from the can body with no fewer than 27 complete back and forth flexes".

This should help things some.

Ermal Fraze was a jerk.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
27 back and forth flexes! Hysterical!!! :)
Well said joncooper1986.
Peace

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thought. I think it happens when the drink is finished and one is chatting with friends and the tab gets wiggled until it comes free while talking. Then the person drops the tab and chucks the can (sometimes). my two Canadian pennies. oh wait we don't have them anymore. Can I still put in my two cents?

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been thinkin' again. Sorry ;)
We all dig pulltabs by the thousands. But, how many folks do you know that actually remove and discard pulltabs before enjoying the delicious beverages beneath!?
I know of none.
Your thoughts...
Thanks
Peace

I have noticed some people turn the tab sideways or remove it entirely to help ID their beverage from the rest.

I personally do not know anyone who removes the tabs on a regular basis. Yet I can go to any park around me and dig every 50-55 signal on my AT Pro and find hundreds of them. Perhaps they rained from the sky with the old style pull tabs for a long time?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Jeremy S.
Don't disregard the 50s on an AT though!
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread