Are there any Ginseng or other Herb Diggers/Growers/Stewards on TNnet??

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Many years ago, Dad told me if chiggers were as big as fleas they would kill a man!
This was long before Deep Woods Off.. he said if you pick blackberries always pick at first light while the dew is still on..
or just after a rain. He said to put coal oil around all edges of your clothes and dab a little on any bites ya get.

I don't know what part of middle TN you're talking about.. but I do know the chiggers on the Cumberland Plateau has some big teeth!!:laughing7:

-Wayne

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we don't have those pests up here in the North Country, we do have ticks, hordes of mosquitos, and the ever present Black fly....the most annoying blood sucking begger alive. In 1971 I worked a summer for the US forest service, and they have Gov't issued 100% deet in squezze bottles which was the best repellent I have ever used....But after it melted the watch crystal on my wrist....I wisely let the bugs bite.....Gary

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While we don't have those pests up here in the North Country, we do have ticks, hordes of mosquitos, and the ever present Black fly....the most annoying blood sucking begger alive. In 1971 I worked a summer for the US forest service, and they have Gov't issued 100% deet in squezze bottles which was the best repellent I have ever used....But after it melted the watch crystal on my wrist....I wisely let the bugs bite.....Gary

I second the black fly, horse fly and the useless creature called the "tick"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread