Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know but this don't sound too good!
"Contrast this type of slabber with someone like SGS (Star Grading Service,) which is widely reviled as the worst of the worst. SGS only issues 11 grades, MS-60 through MS-70, no matter how bad the coin is! A coin that was sent to them as a test coin came back (graded PR-70) with a big fingerprint added to it!"
http://coins.about.com/b/2007/06/13/grading-service-rankings-in-five-tiers.htm

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that really doesn't sound like that's a coin grading company I would use. My Dad has a coin slabbed from SGS that's a 1954-S penny graded MS-70, though the slab that it is looks nothing like the other slabs on websites other than the SGS site.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use PCGS......

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Per the link that rodgerdodger provided, you can see that SGS is only an eBay Seller and Self-Slabber doing so for his' or her' on benefit and would not even qualify to make it on the list of the worst but licensed Third Party Grading Services. The only benefit for you or the coin of having a coin in an SGS holder, is the protection the holder provides the coin. However, as far as value, the coin would be better off if released from it's prison (holder) and left to fend for it's self!

Frank

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had taken a look on that yesterday and read about it. I had paid about $3 for it a couple of years ago and had given it to my dad.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had taken a look on that yesterday and read about it. I had paid about $3 for it a couple of years ago and had given it to my dad.

well you gave him a very good uncirculated coin! PCGS MS65 is considered very high to give you a reference on uncirculated coins.
This is PCGS slabbed coin that lives in my safe deposit box but I have pictures for a reference point.
TN1205.jpg

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

well you gave him a very good uncirculated coin! PCGS MS65 is considered very high to give you a reference on uncirculated coins.
This is PCGS slabbed coin that lives in my safe deposit box but I have pictures for a reference point.
View attachment 1040311
Silver dollar

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted a Carson City, though the morgans are a little out of my price range. They can cost up to $200! Red book has a value on that one of about $800, but it might be worth more because it is graded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread