Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in doubt always dig. :thumbsup: Metal detecting is still a long way from being foolproof.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough it out. In the States gold can fall under ring pulls, zinc, and foil on my detector+ bottlecaps ring up like our quarters. I find a lot more of those than gold or quarters. I feel your pain, but you gotta keep digging.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you want the good stuff, you gotta dig the trash! just the way it is and yes it can really get old but the persistence will pay off, eventually!GL

OP
OP
T

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yer,
I figured that to be the case, the only problem is the amount of #53's is ridiculous, some spots I could dig 100 holes in 20 square feet.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yer,
I figured that to be the case, the only problem is the amount of #53's is ridiculous, some spots I could dig 100 holes in 20 square feet.

In that case I would find a better spot unless you were determined to eventually clean them all out. Have you tried a sniper or 5x8 coil? They are great for separating close together targets and finding the good stuff in the trash.

Pull rings/tabs can mask out some good targets on old properties so it may be worth digging and removing some there. Right now I am conducting an experiment where I am retrieving most tabs I come across and seeing what my ratio of tabs to nickels to gold is. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/427103-pro-pull-tab-nickel-gold-ratio-experiement.html

Currently I'm at 378 tabs (old style and new), 74 nickels, and 0 gold. I expect my final numbers to be closer to 1000 tabs to 1 gold. My experiment excludes beach hunting where the ratio is much better.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had similar problems around game fields there in Australia using my DFX. Like others are saying there's no good solution to it. What I did was just concentrate on higher tones/VDI's and checked depth on interesting numbers as a lot of the rings, tabs and caps show up pretty shallow. A 5 by 8 DD coil works well. Your silver coins, 5c to 50c, all show up in the junk range unfortunately. My GTI did better with these coins because it could show the size well enough to distinguish between ring tabs and coins~ nickles were a pain though.
Not really an answer for your AT but my experience.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Canada a solid 53 is a nickel. It's also gold rings and some pull tabs. You have to dig it all to be sure.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to pick your battles...some places have too many tabs to make it worthwhile to dig them all.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig! Because you don't know what else maybe there with that coin that the detector reads.

markbxr400

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2014
Lower Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I struggle with the same thing with my ATP. Anytime I see a solid 53 I dig. I've dug a million tabs, but recently did dig 2 nickels (first was a 1918 Buffalo nickel), and a gold ring from the same park.

I pulled out my Fisher F2 over the last couple of outings, and had forgotten how good it is at ID'ing coins. With the ATP, with the exception of pennies, I probably dig 5-10 pieces of trash for every coin. With the F2 I probably dig 5-10 coins for every piece of trash. However, I am digging deeper coins with the ATP.

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I get a nickel hit I assume it is a pulltab on my F5. I am surprised when it is a nickel. I have to dig them cause gold hits there too. Like others have said , It is the price we pay for the good stuff. If I get too tired, I disc. them out and come back another day to get the rest. Trash is the rule and treasure the exception.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread