T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I don't like using vinegar to clean iron. Iron always flash rusts after removing from the vinegar. I had to finish with electrolysis to get the rust off.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to coat or dip in Evaporust (available at Autozone) to prevent flash rusting. Then coat with a wax or Crisco. After dry bake in the oven at 250 for an hour or 2. Wipe off the excess wax. Done. I wrote a post on the method a whole back. Evaporust is important

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a lock I preserved using the vinegar/Evaporust. It did take a while, gotta have some patience...

Attachments

• image-4167846319.jpg
    image-4167846319.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 99

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Red rust = bad. It's porous and unstable, and will allow water to penetrate and wreak further havoc.

Black rust = good. That's a different oxide of iron and is essentially impermeable, and will not allow water to penetrate. It's a stable oxide.

I don't understand all of the variables that dictate which oxide you wind up with (and it's something that I've spent some time trying to figure out), but don't be afraid of black oxides. A black tarnish with a coat of oil or something similar is basically good to go. If you have both red and black oxides present, try giving the piece a quick wire brushing. You may notice that the red comes off but the black remains, which is exactly what you want. Coat well with a barrier that will keep out oxygen and water (oil and grease are good, but wax or a similar coating is better) and call it done. Evaporust gets great reviews, but I've never used it and can't comment on it beyond that.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a knifemaker, I have done much with vinegar. The following pic is a bowie I made with a hamon-line, that I made more visible by applying hot white vinegar with cotton balls.

Vinegar is acid, and acid will eat away the softer parts of whatever you apply it to first, leaving the harder spots for last. White vinegar is distilled, and thusly much more potent and stronger than ACV. Probably good to keep in mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread