🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why in the 3-1/2 years I've been detecting have I only found 3 silver quarters? A 1964, 1934, and an 1876. I have found more silver dimes than I can count, I've even found more silver war nickels than quarters and they only existed for what 3 years? A 1940 walking liberty half, a 1968 Kennedy half, even two silver Ike dollars, but only 3 friggin quarters? What gives:BangHead: Now I know what your thinking, but 95% of them were 3inches or less so it's not like the old timers couldn't have found them with the older machines. I don't get it. Excuse my rant but I needed to vent. Mike

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quarters were a big deal back when they were making them out of silver,bought alot of goods with one.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
quarters were a big deal back when they were making them out of silver,bought alot of goods with one.
I hear ya, but no one lost dimes and nickels on purpose either. As they also purchased many goods.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Clad quarters are hard to miss - silver quarters, moreso. The other stuff can slip under the radar, particularly the nickels. It's a size thing.

If it makes you feel better, I haven't found a single one around here. I dig anything that sounds clean from pull tabs on up, so if they're there, they're well masked. This becomes particularly funny when you consider that I got back into this crazy hobby in order to find silver coins, but all I've found is jewelry. :)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stunned to see a post yesterday here , where a guy found two silver quarters at an old school yard of all places ! I
commented on how unusual I thought it was for him to find not one but two, and in such an obvious and heavily hunted
location - The earlier generation/s of detectorists must have "hoovered" these quarters up like they were going out of style
(which of course they did ) The whole time I've been on this site, I've told whoever will listen that I believe silver quarters
are a tough find .

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The grass is always greener they say. I have still yet to find any silver coins. I have found silver rings but no coins yet here in Montana. My wife found a Rosie in her till at work and my stepson found a Barber half in his. But me nahda out of the ground. The oldest quarters I have found is 1965.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every Silver quarter I've found, and I've found a few, have been in someones yard. I haven't found any at parks or old schools. I know others find them in those areas, but for me it's been more private places. The very first silver quarters I found were in my neighbors yard, two quarters stacked on top of each other about two inches deep. Everyone always says that location is everything, I think it's true with the silver quarters. You just have to find the place that wasn't cherry picked back in the day.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the years I have been detecting, I have experienced very similar results MrMike! Lots of silver dimes, and some large stuff, but few quarters. In my case I live in a smaller town (less than 10,000) and I know for a fact that the local parks, older schools etc., have been heavily hit by coinshooters who specifically want silver. They don't bother digging any other signals.

When I was in my second year of detecting I encountered one of these folks. At the time I was using my BH Platinum w/f5 DD coil. He had a new Whites VX3. He boasted that I "was wasting my time", and "he had already cleaned out all the silver" There turned out to be a lot of truth to what he said. In terms of silver coins I only found 1 mercury! I also found a V nickel and a couple Indianheads that day. The thing I didn't mention to him was that I was pulling out gold rings, one very old with a substantial diamond! Some of the cherry pickers, like him, don't bother digging any other signals but easy silver. I on the other hand, do dig pull tabs and nickels because that is where the gold is. It is a lot of work, but the rewards can be worth it. Up until now my gold ring count is much higher than my silver quarter count, but I can live with that!! ;-)

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres my testimony "0" silver quarters so far this year, my luck might change when the fields open up tho !

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quarters are larger coins and were easier to spot when they were originally dropped. They are also easier for a detector to see, hence easier to cherry pick. Even the new guy with a $40 detector can see a silver quarter at 3".

Don't feel discouraged, I have only found 3 silver quarters in the last two years. My last was a 1936 quarter from my own yard!

The last two silver quarters that I have found were partially masked by other stuff. One was a SLQ with a buffalo nickel right up against it, and random bits of iron in the ground around it. The other was the 1936 quarter standing vertically around 4" deep, with several big nails in close proximity. Both gave off a non-repeatable high tone and the iron audio on my AT Pro was grunting when I scanned the area with it.

Sometimes digging those deep iffy signals pays off!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found 7 Mercs, 11 Rosies, 1 Walker half and 6 silver Washingtons...sounds like Ive been lucky with the silver quarters.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nada silver quarter for me either!
Silver reads much better on the detectors & some people just skim the good signals.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am the pull tab king. I hope that will make you feel better LOL

Well I'm the "horseshoe king".... I may not be able to match ya pull tab to horseshoe finds but I can hold my own!!!! So from one king to another..... :occasion14:

If I found ANY COIN on this old wagon road I'd probable have a coronary on the spot. Good luck on you silver quarter hunt.

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to pull any silver coins out of the ground, did get 2 silver rings though. I don't know why but I have found probably 5 or 6 1965 quarters and a handful of 1965 dimes. I'm sure I will get that silver soon...maybe!

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to pull any silver coins out of the ground, did get 2 silver rings though. I don't know why but I have found probably 5 or 6 1965 quarters and a handful of 1965 dimes. I'm sure I will get that silver soon...maybe!
Once your machine gets a wiff of one silver coin, it'll turn into a blood hound. Give it time, it will happen. Gl HH Mike

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm, this is my eighth year detecting, and while I have found smaller silver coins, and even an ornate silver thimble, I have yet to find a darn silver quarter.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan , See if you can get into some of your friends yards (houses built in the 20's, 30's ,40's ) or earlier - this will help you
escape the earlier generation of detectorists who have done an impressive job wiping out the silver quarters from parks and
schoolyards .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread