Suggestions for a metal detector under the $500 price range....

wyrnut

Greenie
Jan 30, 2013
Wentzville MO.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rjdvorak

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2010
+Great mid range dtector

I have been reading about these detectors for a few days now and gotten some friendly advice from a few people on this site. My hunting grounds will be in Arkansas and it will be mostly wooded areas or farm land and pasteurs { no water or sand} . It seems that this particular area may have high mineral contents so it may be best for me to stick with a unit that has manual ground balancing
{ which leaves out my 1st choice of the Garret 250} . I want a detector that I wont outgrow in 6 months but is under the $500 price point. I will be looking mainly for silver/gold coins, jewerly and dont care to much about gathering nickels, dimes or quarters that are normal, unvaluable type clad { 1965 - 2007 years} . I realize though, that I will have to dig up alot of junk but I am not a collector of junk and probably wouldnt keep the majority of that stuff .
So im assuming I would want a detectctor thats

user friendly
manual ground balance
pinpoint feature
depth feature
discrimination and good at alerting the user of junk iron, nails,etc
tone discrimination
{ anything else that would be useful that I forgot ?}

Ive had 3 different recommendations on what would be best for my needs and Im curious as to what everyone else thinks. Has to be under $500 .... and if there is a detector that only costs $300 but is as good as a $400-$500 unit, please let me know Thanks ..

Get a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro from walmart for $253.00 its a mid range detector.

rjdvorak

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2010
get on line at Walmart and buy a Bounty Huter Land Ranger Pro for $253.00 It's a great machine at a entery level price but a high mid range detector.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love these old threads!
The op was 2007, so with inflation adjustment, not one single competent metal detector is now available for $500.
Peace ✌
P.S. Never, ever shop at Wally Marty.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still today over 10 years old, the Tesoro Vaquero takes the most suggestive hits for all around best detector just under $500.00. If I could vote Banner find for the Vaquero I would.:occasion14:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. For a beginner, I recommend a new Tesoro Majave for $251.10. I am waiting to use my for the first time.

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice about finding out if you like the hobby before purchasing an expensive machine. My first machine ever was a AT Pro which I bought three weeks ago. Since then it's been an additional Garrett a T pro pointer, and a T Rex 8 inch sand scoop. This is worse than when I bought the jeep it started adding stuff on. But it's a lot of fun. Good luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread