A WALK IN THE WOODS / LOST?

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
The first rule in navigation is to know your current location, only then will you know where everything is in relation to your position.

I have over 2 million acres of national Forest near my home in three states. I've game hunted, gem hunted, and prospected many areas in the past 50 years.
Many times I will navigate to an unknown area and before I go, I will mark all info into Maptech software. I study the maps to determine the best entry location, best path with the least resistance, bluffs, water ways, elevation, etc. I will know what bearing to take and make note of all roads, springs, in the area.
Before I enter, I will confirm the Jeep location and I will know what the weather forecast is and estimate the total time in the woods.
I will check my location every 200-300 yards to make sure I'm on course. Each map I carry is of different scale and printed on regular notebook paper and each map has the UTM grid overlaid.
I never follow a GPS.. I only use one to confirm my current location, that way I know every feature on the map, the terrain, roads, obstacles, the direction and distance.
Over the years I've had to navigate back to camp or Jeep, during a storm at night... which is fun!:laughing7:

I use only UTM coordinates.. because search & rescue use them too and it is a direct measure over land.
I carry two GPS with extra batteries.
And two compass.
I make sure my cell phone is charged and check for service in that area.
I always carry a pistol.
I use an analog watch, not just to check travel speed but can also be used as a compass if the sun is out.
I can navigate by stars if it's a clear night.

Knowing navigation saves time and makes your trip much safer!

This is a very good free map site...
CalTopo - Backcountry Mapping Evolved

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing how to navigate even without a compass is essential if you plan on venturing off the beaten path. As stated above an analog wrist watch can be used if the sun is out, as well as a simple stick placed vertically in the ground casting a shadow. If you are unfamiliar with any of these or other emergency survival/navigation techniques and you spend any amount of time in the woods, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up a book or take a class. There are tons of resources online, and don't just read them...go out and DO them because without hands on experience the book learning may be useless. It may seem silly to some people who think "I'm only going out for a few hours. What's the worst that can happen?" perhaps, and hopefully, you will never have to use any of these survival tactics, but should the situation arise I would rather be prepared. Another good tip is to leave your cell phone on the entire time you are out, because even when you aren't using it the device is constantly pinging off of towers and in a worst case situation this can be triangulated to find your location.

The U.S. Army Ranger Handbook has a LOT of good survival techniques in it, it's cheap and readily available and fits in a pocket or pouch...buy it.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What do you think about the Bushnell Hunttrack? I just looked into them and they log up to 48 hours of trip data and store 25 return points.

Frank

Didn't see that one at Amazon. My main concerns are. Marking my MH location and marking a cache location, so 5 position marking is plenty for me. The time, temperature, and elevation are extras I might use. Frank...-
PS: The D-Tour Will load the days trip on a Google map and store it in your computer.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The first rule in navigation is to know your current location, only then will you know where everything is in relation to your position.

I have over 2 million acres of national Forest near my home in three states. I've game hunted, gem hunted, and prospected many areas in the past 50 years.
Many times I will navigate to an unknown area and before I go, I will mark all info into Maptech software. I study the maps to determine the best entry location, best path with the least resistance, bluffs, water ways, elevation, etc. I will know what bearing to take and make note of all roads, springs, in the area.
Before I enter, I will confirm the Jeep location and I will know what the weather forecast is and estimate the total time in the woods.
I will check my location every 200-300 yards to make sure I'm on course. Each map I carry is of different scale and printed on regular notebook paper and each map has the UTM grid overlaid.
I never follow a GPS.. I only use one to confirm my current location, that way I know every feature on the map, the terrain, roads, obstacles, the direction and distance.
Over the years I've had to navigate back to camp or Jeep, during a storm at night... which is fun!:laughing7:

I use only UTM coordinates.. because search & rescue use them too and it is a direct measure over land.
I carry two GPS with extra batteries.
And two compass.
I make sure my cell phone is charged and check for service in that area.
I always carry a pistol.
I use an analog watch, not just to check travel speed but can also be used as a compass if the sun is out.
I can navigate by stars if it's a clear night.

Knowing navigation saves time and makes your trip much safer!

This is a very good free map site...
CalTopo - Backcountry Mapping Evolved

That all sounds great and you have the system down, But way in the back of my head that old phrase buzzes,"The best plans of mice and men of
ten go a stray". In that instance, I whip out the backtracker and it points to my campsite and tells me how far it is. Just a thought! Frank...- five star.png
Just think, in this instance, you don't even have to know your current location!

Last edited:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
That all sounds great and you have the system down, But way in the back of my head that old phrase buzzes,"The best plans of mice and men of
ten go a stray". In that instance, I whip out the backtracker and it points to my campsite and tells me how far it is. Just a thought! Frank...- View attachment 1041527
Just think, in this instance, you don't even have to know your current location!

But, I navigate TO & FROM locations!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
But, I navigate TO & FROM locations!

OH, there's the difference! I don't know where I am going till I get there following signs on trees, rocks, etc and possibility crude notes. lol To each his own. Frank...- five star.png
PS: If you mark the 'to' location on the first visit, you can use it to go and return. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
WELL, the D-Tour arrived! I read the small (6"x6") instructions, all 4 pages.I took it out to test it. I was ready to send it back when I remembered that you have to get use to things and figgure out their quarks, so this morning I went out with the bogs to run a test on about 300 yards of trails on my property.

The compass looked confused until I figured out that after you turn it on, as shown in the brief instructions, you must walk in a figure 8. The catch, that they don't mention is you have to stand still for at least 1 minute while it finds north, then it is accurate.

The return path setup is a bit different. When you click on the return marked symbol, it doesn't have any idea where it is. You have to move app. 10' before it shows the correct direction. The yardage works exact. I suspect it uses this info to determine the direction. If the yardage drops, it points that way. If the yardage increases it points the other way. It knows the speed you are walking and uses that and the yardage to determine the direction. As long as you realize this you are ok.

The altitude is correct. I will next check out the longitude and latitude. The temperature appeared to be a couple of degrees high, but it was in the sun.

The full manual is on there web site. along with with the map recording setup. I am leery of that because when I cache hunt, I try not to leave a trail. Even pay cash for fuel.

I guess it's like a detector, you have to become one with it. Frank...- five star.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, I am beginning to wonder! The compass wants to point East. The backtrack is also off.
I ran a 300 yard random wondering test and it failed. Don't know if it is me or the backtracker. Just sent an E Mail to there customer service. I think, sometimes, somethings are to good to be true. Frank...- five star.png
111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Last edited:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Well, I am beginning to wonder! The compass wants to point East. The backtrack is also off.
I ran a 300 yard random wondering test and it failed. Don't know if it is me or the backtracker. Just sent an E Mail to there customer service. I think, sometimes, somethings are to good to be true. Frank...- View attachment 1043398

Now.. maybe you understand why I've worked a "system" that has proven to work under just about any condition?:laughing7:

Your first clue is the warning that comes with a GPS..."Don't let a GPS be your only navigation tool".

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Now.. maybe you understand why I've worked a "system" that has proven to work under just about any condition?:laughing7:

Your first clue is the warning that comes with a GPS..."Don't let a GPS be your only navigation tool".

Yea, I had a digital compass go wacky on me before. That's why I always carry 2 compasses and a GPS unit.

You should see the system used at Vermillion Cliffs NM. They give you the starting point and 3 PICTURES with an x marked on each. You look at the picture and compare it to the landscape then head for the X location. I had my GPS leaving a breadcrumb trail. that is the only thing that saved me from the 3 hour walk in 104 temps. Those pictures don't work coming back! Frank...- five star.png
VERMILLION146-2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bushnell customer service didn't answer my E Mail request for information.
I have given up on the Backtracker D-Tour. In my last test, the compass pointed East and the return arrow pointer 90 to 180 degrees off. I just got the return label from Amazon. Great idea, but poor design.
Frank...- five star.png

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
That's the problem.. how do you know(until it's too late) that the GPS is telling you the truth?
If it tells me I'm at a certain location it better match the terrain on my map.. if it doesn't I'll turn on my second GPS to check.
I've never had my Brunton compass tell me wrong.. but I still carry a backup. All info on my maps I use in the field are verified and checked before I leave home.
Navigation to me is not just a tool.. it is also a time saver, to prevent wondering all over "looking". I don't want to waste time when I could be digging!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread