Unprotected Civil War Battlefields

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Just remember that just because its unprotected doesnt mean its unowned. I just looked at one of the sites and saw that it was fenced with No Tresspassing signs......So I am now tracking down the owner as we speak so that I can try to obtain permission for a trip this spring.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=gypsyheart So I am now tracking down the owner as we speak so that I can try to obtain permission for a trip this spring.

In this seeking permsion, sexy gals with low cleavage and interesting legs such as yer avatar, do have an unfair advantage for some reason?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't it always the case. . . ;D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to think...I would look like Misses Doubtfire in a dress...lol Good luck on getting permission and Thanks for the site Toby...Mighty handy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the posting.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info.

I found two battlefields close to me. One is county protected (although 95% of it has been developed) which I already knew. The other is unprotected (but privately owned) which surprises me a little. I'll have to start looking for property owners now...

Thanks for posting.

DCMatt

OP
OP
D

Dad_of_3

DCMatt,

If you get permission and you want a hunting partner, let me know. I am in WV about 80miles from you. Not that big of a deal, I used to commute to Falls Church form here everyday until last year. Found a gig 18 miles from the house! Trust me I don't miss I-270 or being a beltway bandit!

Good luck on contacting the owners!

Joe (dad_of_3)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And keep in mind that each protected battlefield is surrounded by private property... Landowners are usually sick of people asking them for detecting permission, but it never hurts to try. Even the fringe areas are good. So really the info on the link above doesn't mean a whole lot in my view. The unprotected ones have been pounded to death in most cases. The protected ones you'll lose your detector if you hunt, plus get socked with a steep fine or worse, and I guess that's good info to have so that you can be in the know...those sites usually have some sort of signage though. The areas around those protected sites are private, and it never hurts to ask, but they have likely been hit too. Of course, the areas we're talking about are huge...and I have never failed to pull at least a nice piece of lead from a pounded site ;D

Regards,

Buckleboy

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
BuckleBoy said:
And keep in mind that each protected battlefield is surrounded by private property... Landowners are usually sick of people asking them for detecting permission, but it never hurts to try. Even the fringe areas are good. So really the info on the link above doesn't mean a whole lot in my view. The unprotected ones have been pounded to death in most cases. The protected ones you'll lose your detector if you hunt, plus get socked with a steep fine or worse, and I guess that's good info to have so that you can be in the know...those sites usually have some sort of signage though. The areas around those protected sites are private, and it never hurts to ask, but they have likely been hit too. Of course, the areas we're talking about are huge...and I have never failed to pull at least a nice piece of lead from a pounded site ;D

Regards,

Buckleboy

Take a look at the pics from JDs hunt in Missouri. This site has been pounded and still some nice buttons and coins were found. So get that permission and show us some great finds...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread