If You Had Your Druthers.. What vehicle, new or used would you recommend?

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple years ago I detected old mining areas near Breckenridge Colorado, up a jeep trail in the back of a PU truck. My old bones really got shook up. Now I "may" be able to buy a used vehicle that will do well on jeep trails. Not interested in ATVs or expensive off-road rigs. Not interested in off road tires. In fact the narrower the better. Stick or auto doesn't matter, something with a higher center? and easy to handle. My old VW Beetle was perfect. Just basic transportation to get neat up wherever it goes. Old, new whatever. Something YOU would trust to get you there and back. I'm in Colorado so high plains, foothills and mountains are fair game for me. Just can't hike much anymore and the good wife gets mad if I high center the new Camry. To her it's a big deal.. I have thought about older Mercedes which were reliable. Not a Jeep or Explorer guy. Friends old Ford Ranger was OK. If I will the Lotto then I'd pick a Range Rover. How about you? Thanks in advance.. Bob Snare Arvada Colorado

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a VW Thing? if you could find one running.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LandRover Defender- They cease production next year, are available at every price and last forever. They will be very sought after in ten years. Every possible extra available. The snorkels are good fun. As are the winches. Each one drives different. Important to get what suits your needs. Anyway good luck with whatever you get, but the RangeRovers are very thirsty! G Wagon would be my second choice. Porsche and BMW shouldnt be making off roaders No offence to anyone, just my opinion. Toyota Hi Lux
would be my third choice!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in '92, I owned a Dodge Power Wagon. 4 speed manual shift w a slant 6cyl motor, 4x4. It would climb any hill I found and had a semi-smooth ride. Wish I still had it.
Seems they're makin' new models now in the $32k range. Ouch...
A Chevy S-10 gets me to sites and back now.
Can't take my woman to dinner in it though. ;)
Good luck
Peace

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LandRover Defender.. Yes I have seen these. I will check Colorado for any I see... Thanks
BB

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpg
LandRover Defender.. Yes I have seen these. I will check Colorado for any I see... Thanks
BB
Your forgetting the whole getting back part. Don't get a land rover. I've had two, nothing but unreliable. If you wanna get into the jungle, bring a land rover, if you wanna get back home, bring a toyota!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My adventure vehicle is a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Bullet proof 4.0 ltr engine, auto, and competent 4x4. Full power and air, comfortable, and a very good ride for a 4x4. Plus all my gear rides inside where it is safe and dry. The 98 GC replaced a 93 Cherokee 4x4 that my son-in-law now flogs. The 93 has over 200k miles on it and the 98 has 145k. I prefer the older vehicles for off road since messing up paint or sheet metal on newer vehicles can get expensive.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My adventure vehicle is a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Bullet proof 4.0 ltr engine, auto, and competent 4x4. Full power and air, comfortable, and a very good ride for a 4x4. Plus all my gear rides inside where it is safe and dry. The 98 GC replaced a 93 Cherokee 4x4 that my son-in-law now flogs. The 93 has over 200k miles on it and the 98 has 145k. I prefer the older vehicles for off road since messing up paint or sheet metal on newer vehicles can get expensive.
:icon_thumright:
My friends Grand Cherokee has over 300K on it. It is more comfortable then any 4x4 I have been in!
We can go from sea level to over 4,000 feet in less then an hour, and the roads can be brutal. It does great off road.
It has the 4.0 straight 6 and is very reliable.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all.. Now I'm thinking JEEP may be more practical. Plus plenty of repair shops and parts available. I have been in one that rode the fall line through the Quakies.. Old forest road. And I did exit the vehicle as it climbed the top of 8A. Scary ride but a few scratches on the car. Enclosed, warm and dry are good. Now I'm looking at GOOGLE EARTH around LEADVILLE. This is gonna be fun.......
BB

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with a Jeep Cherokee or wrangler. Stay as far away from land rover as possible. Horribly unreliable, and parts are VERY expensive IF you can find them. The electrics on those cars is atrocious. The Jeep with the 4.0L has plenty of power to get you over just about anything, they are bullet proof and reliable as all hell. As posted above its labeled "JEEP TRAIL" for a reason.

I have many many years of experience in the automotive repair world, and I know which vehicles work and which ones dont.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Subaru Crosstrek! Perfect for metal detecting! ....Go Giants!!!

Attachments

• Subaru Pics 004.JPG
    Subaru Pics 004.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Subaru Pics 005.JPG
    Subaru Pics 005.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Subaru Pics 006.JPG
    Subaru Pics 006.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Subaru Pics 007.JPG
    Subaru Pics 007.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 84

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one gets me anywhere I want to go...

1375635_823391477687798_1871162375_n.jpg
Probably the best wrangler they've made so far! Sweeeeet rig. Plain, simple, rugged. Two locking diffs, two solid axles, and a bullet proof and proven engine. And if it's a manual even better.

Tulsa Clovis

Greenie
Aug 24, 2014
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I know you are not an Explorer guy but Explorers are cheap and reliable. I bought my Explorer Sport for $3500 cash with 102k miles 3 years ago and it looked almost brand new. It now has 172k miles and all I have done is tires, shocks, and oil changes and it is still in very good shape. I know its not the coolest rig, but as far as value for the money it has been excellent. You can also pick up 4wd Ford Escapes pretty cheap in good condition, they are reliable and get pretty good mpg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions