Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
after asking a few more experienced guys, I bit the bullet and ordered one of those Sampson Pro shovels, 31 inch with the ball end. love it, I hardly use my hand digger now and it doubles as a get up cane when I get tired. the added leverage makes getting the plug out even easier and the ball end makes it easy to push the blade into the ground. the over all size is what I really wanted, a compact narrow and very sturdy shovel that is easy to carry and still not attract a lot of attention to it. it is very user friendly and now I see why so many people use them. it is quality all the way, and in the thick grass roots, really nice. I can now see digging those deeper holes a whole lot easier than before as i found out today. yep, great product. thanks for looking.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The only reason mine is better is because I made it myself, by hand, wrought from and old shovel and car parts, brought to life by the grinder, torch, and welder. It's totally indestructible. I'd have no other.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I've broke many shovels.. this one has lasted...

and it's homemade too!:laughing7:

Titanium Shovel/Rake/Walking Stick

tool16.jpg

tool15.jpg

shovel1.jpg

shovel2.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
where there is a need, there is a way... well at least if you have access to the tools and a shop in which to build with. otherwise you pay someone else to build it or you buy what best fits the bill. I no longer have such access to a shop like I used to have, a divorce about 10 years ago took care of that. I was always of the nature of why buy it if I can build it and build it the way I wanted it but those days have changed. when one is able to craft out what he or she needs, it is custom built for their needs and usually serves the purpose quite well, especially when well thought out. sometimes a slight modification is thought of afterwards but as the builder, this can usually be taken care of. already several very cool builds have been mentioned and they obviously serve their creators very well. when you have access to materials and the proper tools, it is totally up to you as to the design. Number 9 has made a very versatile or combination shovel, craftsmanship is obvious, Gleaner 1 has made his own as well and proud of it as well. this is but another example of man's abilities to build things as he has done for centuries, something that the blacksmith would have easily built 200 years ago. very cool

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
dirtlooter...

The only "machine tools" I have in the basement is an old China drill press and a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC welder that I bought 20 years ago for $300. I use a "dry-rig" tig torch with the welder and a bottle of argon to weld titanium with.
The only part I had made on the shovel was to have a friend turn down and thread the end of the pin on the end of the shaft the rest was hand made. The titanium was bought on eBay.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I guess I could have made one too, but I saw an all steel shovel in the A M Leonard catalog. That was 13 years ago and I bought it. I still use it in the woods and cache hunting. I painted it yellow with that plastic dip thinned out. Still looks good as new and has paid for itself many times over. Frank...- five star.png
Tool shovel-700.jpg

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I guess I could have made one too, but I saw an all steel shovel in the A M Leonard catalog. That was 13 years ago and I bought it. I still use it in the woods and cache hunting. I painted it yellow with that plastic dip thinned out. Still looks good as new and has paid for itself many times over. Frank...- View attachment 1044240

Frank.. my problem is, it seems like every digging tool I get they break or fail when I'm out using them.
I guess I'm just hard on tools? But still, I want them to work without pampering them all the time!:laughing7:
I understand a company can't make a tool to last forever and still be competitive in today's market when China makes a tool at 1/3 the price. It's to the point I will take the time and money and make it myself.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That shovel has a lifetime guarantee. Frank...-
Check out there on line cat. Tool shovel-700.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread