So much clad...how? How many hours do you hunt??

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't get how some of you find so much clad...in one hunt for example. I don't think I have ever passed the $3 mark in one hunt...certainly never $5 or more I know that for sure. This raises some questions for me...you guys must be hitting some REALLY trodden places or some really 'untouched' trodden places for that matter, right? Also, are you detecting the entire day...from sun up to sun down? I just don't understand how you can find so much otherwise, lol! And all those targets...up and down, up and down...I love this hobby, but I really don't think I could do it every day or for 8 hours at a time or something like that. I should try it and see what happens.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I love clad! them school yards are filled with it, kids toss it away like its worthless. if I'm hunting a place that has clad I always come home with at least 5 bucks, sometimes way more, for I use clad to buy high grade coins. when I go hunting I try and do a minimum of 4 hours, if the spot is really good, I don't stop until I have to crawl back to the car because I'm to tired to walk lol.

Mike

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
location is always the key unless you find a coin spill and even then it is location. gotta be where it is... or still is. 45 minutes yesterday only netted me 3 zincoids but I have pulled about $10 out of the spot. some people are faster diggers and all of that, some are slow and very steady. but it still has to be there in the first place. my best on quarters is 8, and I have done that about four times now, two days in a row at the same spot, I just quit too soon. some of us are digging pull tabs and other trash as well and this can take a while but the rewards can be nice. it will come. GL & HH

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did an old defunct and abandoned boys camp on a lake. There was so much clad! I'll bet I pulled $50 out of there in the space of a week, not to mention a sweet gold St Cristopher's medal, and a silver italian horn necklace complete with chain. Not one single silver coin or wheat.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The total amount is dependent upon what denomination clad coins you are digging. Some sites have mostly cents, some have a mix and some are "quarter heavy". I see these guys dig 20 quarters in a hunt and I am amazed. Last weekend I dug 16 clad quarters ($5.00 total with about 100 coins dug) It took me about 11 hours over 2 days to do that.

My hunts vary widely depending on the spot. On average.. I dig about 12 coins per hour... sometime 1 or 2... sometime 30 per hour... just depends.

Afterwork hunts are from 6:00 until 8:00. Weekend hunts can start as early as 7:00 AM and go all day, just depends on the weather. In the South, in the summer, it can really get too hot to hunt. You can not hunt in the sunshine... it will cook you in 20 minutes. As the weather cools, all day hunts become feasible.

Good luck!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best day for clad has been around $10 in a couple of hours. Coin shooting can be weird. Some days I'll find several dozen dimes and no quarters or nickels, but on the next trip back I find all quarters and nickels and no dimes.

The amount of clad I find is very dependent on how long I hunt. Most weekday afternoons it will only be a couple of hours. Weekends it can go as long as 6 hours or more if the area is really producing.

I once saw a guy hunting a park who said that he cherry picks for quarters. Some time later I was back at the park and decided to hunt the same area where I had seen him performing his "cherry picking". That was my record day with around 30 quarters. Makes me wonder how he missed all of those!

I would like to detect more but I have other hobbies, a girlfriend, work, and endless home improvement projects that seem to get in the way.

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it's all about location, location, location.
1 beach I frequent is good for 3.00 most days on a short hunt, other areas usually take a little more work and time but if you hit the right Location you can hit a $3.00 goal each hunt. Keep a eye on how many others are out there and where the people are. I can check 1 spot with a web cam I found someone set up. It gives me a great idea how busy the beach was before my drive.

I always find alot of "junk" jewelry, silver but keep searching for gold. I try to pull 3 hour hunts after work, usually 2 hours is all I get so I take it when I can

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually like to make a day of it.But I don't like to go for no less then 4-5 hours.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get about 10 hours a week if I am lucky. I mostly dig dimes and quarters first then come back for the rest at a later date. Since March 28th I have pulled 400.00+. mostly Parks and fair grounds. This week is camper sites at the lake.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great responses. The most in one season of detecting, maybe from March to early November for me here, was no more than $53 and some odd cents. I hunt for a few hours on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) mostly and during June, July and part of August when I work daytime hours, I can pull off a short hunt after work, at say...4pm for about two-three hours. At those times I have Fridays off, and can get another day in too. But, other than that...during the week I can't because of work hours and energy. So, my personal conclusion is that the clad isn't where I am going. But, I don't worry about it too much...it just has me going sometimes. I wish I could find that much when the relics and silver or other nuggets aren't being found. Anyway, getting to dig is great no matter what.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started this hobby in august of last year i love it.Being retired i can go out everyday.With the heat here in florida my time is limited usually 2 hours in the mourning and 1 and 1/2 hours in the evening.I found 75 cents yesterday and that was a spectacular day for me.i hunt totlots/county fairgrounds and where ever i can.I have found gold and silver rings.But i have never had a day where i found more than a dollar.But location is everthing.To those that find a lot of clad congrats but in my area i don't ever see myself having a 4 or 5 dollar day.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said before location is key and what events took place add to finding more clad.
I hunt mostly schools and parks, kids lose their lunch money a lot!
3 weeks back (quarter Karama) I had my largest quarter haul ever, 36 of them! This was on a school field that a festival had just taken place on, so my chances of finding clad doubled.
Some places I can't find a lot of clad, because it's just not there.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all location. I have hunted areas where I would find 12-14 dollars in clad in a 4 hour hunt. and other times, would find maybe .30 cents in a full day.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm similar to you Jarl in terms of when I can hunt. Due to working a shift that goes from 8 am to sometimes 6 pm I only get to hunt primarily weekends; but I make sure I get in 5 hour clips at a time. What I try to do is some pre-emptive recon prior to the following weekend's hunt to make sure the trip is worth it. So for example, after hunting a school/park I make note of other schools and parks in the area and drive by on my way home. I look for any big gatherings (soccer tournaments/carnivals/large picnic groups, etc.) and I also look for any other fellow detectors. I make sure to hit those areas the next day. After a while you also get to know which schools/parks tend to be regular clad dispensers :)

I will also leave some time between hitting the same school/park. So a park/school that I might have started the season off with in the spring might not see me until late early/late fall giving it time to gather the goodies. My personal best was 54 clad quarters once (along with other clad) all located on a grassy patch about 20' by 20' near a track. The concentration definitely got my curiosity so I drove by a couple of times to see if I can see what goes on near the track on that patch...well, turns out each time I drove by there was some sport team practicing on the grass field inside the track and guess where all of their backpacks/bags/friends hung out....the grassy area.

Probably also helps that I tend to use my 5" sniper when working land hunts, it absolutely helps separate the good hits from the garbage. Still pull up my share of pull tabs; but, not as much other junk.

Hope my rambling helps!

Happy Hunting and good luck!
TwoYewts

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The clad seems to be where the trash is, heavy trash, heavy clad. The problem is though of finding anything old in what minefield of jumpy signals.

For some reason I always seem to come back with 1.75 in quarters, never $2. I'm counting my quarters next time before I leave!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread