Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im happy to hear it worked out for you:thumbsup:

weeds

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2014
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
at pro
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for what its worth.... (and seeing as i read this whole thing mostly)

if i am buying anything of $$$$ on line from someone i do not know i use
a US Postal Money Order... i talk it over with the seller and let him know that if you are scammed it is mail fraud.

Mail fraud, a felony, carries a sentence of up to five years in prison and/or fines of up to $250,000 when individuals are involved and up to 30 years in prison and/or $1,000,000 in fines when a financial institution is involved.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
for what its worth.... (and seeing as i read this whole thing mostly)

if i am buying anything of $$$$ on line from someone i do not know i use
a US Postal Money Order... i talk it over with the seller and let him know that if you are scammed it is mail fraud.

Mail fraud, a felony, carries a sentence of up to five years in prison and/or fines of up to $250,000 when individuals are involved and up to 30 years in prison and/or $1,000,000 in fines when a financial institution is involved.

That's how Tom Cruise nailed the bad guys in THE FIRM :thumbsup:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a guy call me from Georgia the other day. I live in TN. I put a Craigslist posting advertising my handmade toy boxes in the Nashville area. He asked if I'd sell all of them at once for a discounted price. We agreed on a price. Then he asks me if I accept a Cashiers Check. I said I'd get back at him quickly with an answer.

When he asked me this it kind of hit a nerve as a red flag. If he'd of shown up and handed it to me I probably would have taken it and helped him load up. I went to the bank and sat down with a loan officer. I told her the story. She said "Do not accept this offer or payment". She stated coming from out of state, taking entire inventory and paying with a Cashiers Check seems wrong for this deal. Since we were just talking about $1,000 tell him to bring cash. She stated Cashier Checks are easily counterfeited. So.... I contact and said bring cash only to the guy. No deal then.... My lost he says. :dontknow:

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a guy call me from Georgia the other day. I live in TN. I put a Craigslist posting advertising my handmade toy boxes in the Nashville area. He asked if I'd sell all of them at once for a discounted price. We agreed on a price. Then he asks me if I accept a Cashiers Check. I said I'd get back at him quickly with an answer.

When he asked me this it kind of hit a nerve as a red flag. If he'd of shown up and handed it to me I probably would have taken it and helped him load up. I went to the bank and sat down with a loan officer. I told her the story. She said "Do not accept this offer or payment". She stated coming from out of state, taking entire inventory and paying with a Cashiers Check seems wrong for this deal. Since we were just talking about $1,000 tell him to bring cash. She stated Cashier Checks are easily counterfeited. So.... I contact and said bring cash only to the guy. No deal then.... My lost he says. :dontknow:

If during regular business hours you can call the bank and verify the funds. You can also ask him to give you the pertinent info when he draws the check and you can call the bank in advance to verify it. When he shows up you need only make sure the check is what he told you.

I had a guy show up here last year and as we started to load his truck (required hydraulic equipment) I asked him about paying. He tries to hand me a personal check. I said what is this and what am I supposed to do with it? 60 miles away.

He had to drive to town 20 miles RT and use his credit card at a cash machine :D

They I loaded him.

Big risk to take checks unless they are bank checks which can be verified. Now that we have internet money you can always ask for paypal and they can use their credit card as a last resort. Just don't end up sponsoring fees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread