jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who in their right mind does stuff like the above.:censored:idiots.

Yes I really don't understand the egos of the people who feel they must
share their entire Life on sites like Facebook & Twitter & now Snapchat :(

add to that the people who's lives are so bad, they go searching these places to read about what other people
do short of the number of times they took a dump :(

add to that they are giving the Government, Stalkers & anyone else who wishes the ability
to know their business. Police Departmnts, and school systems even use it to stalk students Private lives
& Thoughts to punish them. https://www.google.com/search?q=stu...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Yes we do it here to a point, But Your not going to see pics or read about my Private part of my,
or my families life.

Last edited:

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Trevmma has a valid point, the mother and child have already heard the opinions of the museum, and all the "reasons" that have been presented to them to justify giving up his once in a lifetime treasured find. There is no harm in letting the mother and child know all of our "reasons" for letting the child keep his treasured find. It is only after they have been exposed to all sides of the concern, that they can make their most informed decisions. If the child were to hold onto his personal find, he could at any point further along in his life decide to give it away, sell it or trade it. If he gives it away now, I doubt he will ever have the chance to get it back again. I would personally suggest they temporarily loan it to the museum, under contract to where it is returned to him at any time upon his request. HH

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is all moot point now anyway. if somebody wants to keep a artifact, the very last thing you should do is tell anybody. as a example the pot of gold coins found in Cali not long ago, sure it may appeal to some to say hey! looky what I found, that look turned into I think a 50% tax..Bleh!
or worse seizure under the antiquities act. loose lips sink ships. if he wanted to donate it that's fine make the decision with your family, don't ask the world their opinions, that's opening all sorts of doors you may wish had stayed closed.

Mike

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that the mother doesn't go through this thread. I'd ask every poster to reread the thread as an outsider would, but I don't think it would change much.

I know it's hard to believe, but there are a lot of people out there like the boy and his mom. I've donated finds to the local museum for all to enjoy since I don't plan on living past the end of my life.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read Redbeardrelics statement and agree that the kid could 'loan' it to the museum for a specified length of time or until he decided he wanted it back. It could be contracted several ways. Then if the museum didn't agree to the contract, let the kid keep his find.

But, it's his decision. Neither I nor anybody else should have a say in what he does with it. Well, I have to say that his mother would have the final say because she is the parent. I'm under the impression that he is still young enough that his mother has the final say. I didn't see the Facebook article because I also, don't do Facebook. Did it some in the past; but not my 'cup of tea'.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The young man will do with it as he pleases..... but.... let me add.... I installed an alarm in a museum curator's home one day in Milw, WI. In the attic were BOXES of indian arrowheads. I'll bet HE didn't find them! I believe, if the museum has a collection of points already, the boy should keep his. TTC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The young man will do with it as he pleases..... but.... let me add.... I installed an alarm in a museum curator's home one day in Milw, WI. In the attic were BOXES of indian arrowheads. I'll bet HE didn't find them! I believe, if the museum has a collection of points already, the boy should keep his. TTC

Most museums have boxes and boxes of artifacts in storage that are not displayed. I have been in several that have done this.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most museums have boxes and boxes of artifacts in storage that are not displayed. I have been in several that have done this.

I've been behind the doors in the British Museum, as well as others.

Yes it's true that they store artifacts, but in a private home attic is, uh, "unusual".

I trust Terry's radar.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
but in a private home attic is, uh, "unusual".

Its called stealing stuff:laughing7:Archs,curators have licenses to steal,grave rob,etc.a buddy of mines uncle is an arch and my friend says his house is full of artifacts. Why would any museum worker be any different.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Maybe some twenty odd years ago, a man in the city where I lived before retirement donated his farm to the city. He said it was to be used for the public to enjoy. The local thugs in charge decided: Golf Course!

The public cannot enjoy a golf course. Only those with enough money to afford golf.

I know farmers and it was obvious he wanted it to be a park where folks could wander and enjoy the sights and smells and sounds of nature, as he himself did.

I would never donate a pfennig to any governmental organization.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been behind the doors in the British Museum, as well as others.

Yes it's true that they store artifacts, but in a private home attic is, uh, "unusual".

I trust Terry's radar.
Hmm. That BIRD is very trusting, Bum, or he spit on the flash pan! Ha ha! TTC

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a cousin that was an original investor with Mel Fisher. He went and dove with him and his son before his son died. Long story short he received a large amount of silver and emeralds when they found the Atocha.Traded the emeralds back to Mel for more silver. Anyways.. He donated most of it to a museum as a tax write off and so that the museum could do a large display of the treasure.
The museum ended up trading the Atocha treasure for a very small painting of an artist he was not familiar with. He was not happy but it was the museums to do with as they pleased.So any donation could possibly be traded for something else.
Clovis is rare but not really worth that much. I would advise him to keep his just as I have kept the one I found.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Arrow and Spearheads, can bring in a good bit of change! Wonder how much it would actually be worth? If I was the finder, my mom or anyone couldn't convince me to just give it away! I would certainly keep it!

But even though the boy is not in his right mind, he does have the decision as to what to do with it!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called stealing stuff:laughing7:Archs,curators have licenses to steal,grave rob,etc.a buddy of mines uncle is an arch and my friend says his house is full of artifacts. Why would any museum worker be any different.

Because we as public expect them to be honest.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to do this but please if u can , encourage this boys mother into keeping his awesome Clovis point he found. Atleast until he turns out not to be a collector of the hobby. If you don't know the story he found it on a beach and the family contacted the state museum where they are going to donate it after he shows it at school. This kid might turn out to be one of us rock collectors and I would hate for him to kick himself after https://m.facebook.com/andrea.cordle?fref=ts&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment

Showing it at school! No... Big Mistake for such a rare point! Don't let the kids handle it..... True story years ago when we were kids my brother found a really nice perfect condition spear point. So he decided to take it to school and show it off in class. I think he was in 5th grade or something. Well as they were passing it around some kid drops it and breaks in half. Really hurt my brother it getting broke. Then again this was years ago when all schools had hard tile floors not carpet like some have today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread