Consider This

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

Willy

Yup. It's not only the depth, but the mineralization. At a favorite freshwater beach of mine, I took a Garrett Infinium a couple of years ago. This beach gets hit HARD every day of the summer/fall by many a detectorist, year after year. Well, I was popping silver (deep & otherwise) left , right, and center. you'd think it had never been hunted. VLF's, even if they managed to get some depth, read everything after the first 5-6" as iron. But it did get extreme depth.. scary even. If the new crop of PI's (like the Pulse devil) manage to deliver on their claims, people will be turfing their high dollar VLF's. Places like that freshwater beach would then be a pleasure to hunt.. right now it's a nightmare carpet of nails down deep. ..Willy.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep 12" or bigger coils get you better depth hunting in all metal mode and as long as you can ground balance your machine will find it. The hard part is digging that deep in concrete like soil....trust me I am learning that the hard way.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hillbilly..............I'll give it a shot.

No detector, regardless of brand, will reach beyond its capabilities. Coins that are buried 3, 4, feet deep obviously will never see the light of day with today's technology. But that same coin can be dug at 12" to possibly 20"+ if you tweak your machine under ideal conditions with some variables (ground conditions, etc.) and thats pretty good depth..........Rich

Willy

yeah, ground conditions are what jinx up a lot of VLF's. I remember popping a silver quarter from the dirt section (hard packed) of that beach at a whopping 1". How could anyone have missed it. The only thing that I could think of was a black sand concentration. ..Willy.

OP
OP
WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
If I am reading you right you think that there are a lot of coins in the top 12" that a vlf machine can't see because of ground minerals . In most soils do you think there are very many coins deeper than 12" ? Where I hunt I don't even want to dig that deep . Thanks All .

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I wish they'd hurry up with that discrimonating PI. Pulse Induscion has been around since the '50's when TR & BFO was still king.

Lots of us who don't have black sand to trod will be waiting to scoop up the top end VHF machines that are plenty good for the 95% of American soil that is plain old dirt. :D

Grass is always greener somewhere else. I have a 1985 edition of Modern Metal Detectors by Charles Garrett and he's talking up the amazing depth and mineralization defeating characteristics of the VHF detectors. And also discusses the blessings and curses of PI. Maybe your neighbors just aren't ground balancing their VHF machines very well?

Never hunted a beach so it's out of my relm of experience. Could it be worse than old home sites where several roofs have been replaced and there are two or three layers of roofing nails over the older coins?

My problem is still time available to hunt and not lack of depth. There's acres and acres I'd love to sweep but so little time.

OP
OP
WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Hey Charlie , that's kind of what I was thinking . I don't hunt beaches either . I noticed the geiger counter bit under your name . I don't know how many people have asked me , is that a geiger counter ? ;D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Willy has the right point. The issue is not only that PIs have greater depth in mineralized ground but would a discriminating PI be able to ID targets better? It certainly is true for my GS5(PI) as my tones are the same regardless of depth.

We all know the problems VLFs have with depth. Good deep coins read all over my screen on my EX2 because of ground mineralization. The deeper you go the more ground mineralization your VLF reads.

Here is a question I asked Dave Emery on another forum about his Pulse Devil

Hi Dave
> I was wondering about the TID for coin/relic hunting. For conventional
> VLFs the deeper one goes the more iron mineralization the detector
> reads. Good targets with VLFs start to read toward the iron end with
> depth with lower VDI numbers. This results in "iffy" good targets with
> depth.
>
> Considering that PIs are not effected by ground mineralization as VLFs
> are would you see the same effect on the PD? Would TIDs for deep coins
> on the PD be more accurate than for a VLF?
>
> Thanks
> George

This is his answer

"George,

The TID seems to hold stable down to its maximum usable depth. This is much
deeper than a VLF's TID. Dave. * * *"

The real improvement may not be just a deeper machine but a better IDing metal detector. Time will tell.

By the way- is deeper needed? Just ask the Civil War relic hunters that question. Your viewpoint may change if you seek stuff dropped 145 years ago. We just don't know what is down there.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread