Old Farm in Catskills NY - how to search?

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
There is an old farm that belongs to my family up in the Catskills of New York State.
There are two houses on the property, the oldest has peg & beam in the oldest part of it with roman numerals on the beams it is also on a laid up loose stone foundation with a small cellar hole where the oil tank and boiler reside. The outhouse, a two-hole'r fell down a number of years ago, but it was not the kind with a hole under it, rather it had a sheet metal box that slid through a door in the side of the outhouse. It had been used for a shed for the last 40 years, it was about 8'x8' square. The old carriage barn fell down about 40 years ago, it was built on the edge of a drop off. Also in the back area of the orchard is what looks like a rectangular foundation, (only some stones on the downhill side show that it was some kind of structure, not sure how far into the orchard area it goes) All the Orchard trees are now dead and decayed, only the stump holes remain for the most part. A stream flows past the one side of the property. Ok, anyone have an idea where I should search first? Years ago at the base of one of the apple trees, before they all died, my dad found a broken bayonet and a Civil War Brass sword belt plate.
Since I have limited time and only an old garrett ground hog to search with, what would you say is the best way to approach this property? In some places the bedrock pokes through the surface.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I'd start with around the houses getting close and then widening your search after you get to the end...like gridding it. Also try to figure which way they might have walked from the house to the outhouse or other structures on the property and try and hit those paths. Not sure about the dropoff where the barn went but if you can get down there maybe something went with it.

Hope this helps and I know others will give you some input and probably more expert advise than I am.

HH and let us know how you make out.

Funkman

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hit the orchard first! And the area around the stream. People would've walked from the house to the stream and back just about every day back then. You shouldn't end up skunked on finds. Since the house is in the family, you have the benefit and pleasure of taking as much time as you like there. Let us know what you find!

Buckleboy

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Funkman has it right; start close to the house and work your way out. Is there a clothesline still evident? Search between any posts that would have held one. Is there much front yard? As an orchard, might there have been anywhere cash might have been transacted? I'd do a thorough search, digging everything. (While I typed this post, Buckleboy added one; I didn't mean to imply that Funkman had it and Buckleboy didn't! ;D) Look forward to hearing what you find.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all is squared away on when to go there and detect.........I would start in the front yard, if the house is as old as you say. I am sure most of the traffic entered through the front. Next I would do the east side of the house this is the area where most doors are located, the winds came from the west on most days so not having your door their was very important. The cold air would blow right in and in them days houses were not air tight. Good luck in your searches!

john

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread