Happy young lady.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard about this other person charging money to look for lost items, he charges $25.00 an hour. I decided to put an add on the same site he puts his add on, our club offers a free service. The next day I got a call from Barb mentioning that she had lost her two rings, $7000.00 for both. She explained to me about this other person, telling me how pushy he was. She told me that once she told him how much the rings were worth, he said $100.00 if not found, $200.00 if found, how do you feel about kind of tactics. She felt he was holding her rings for ransom, any ways I found the one rings tonight, I will go back once the garden plants are off. Her is Barb and her son. IMG_0334.JPG

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think that karma will eventually bite this other guy in the hiney. You're a good guy for doing it for free and you never know,you might get to hunt other sites for relics because of word of mouth.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
My kind of story, great on you to help her. I see ads from time to time on Craigslist people charging to find stuff, heck I'll pay somebody to let me find something for the rush of discovery, that and it tends to open up new places to search.

Mike

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know the other person, I just did it to spite him.:laughing7:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Brian !!! Honorable mention for sure there !

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One good turn often returns another. Someone seeing this locally may eventually turn you a lead for something to search for. Way to go!!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find lost items for free. I never charge but usually am offered a tip. It also opens up new hunting places as well!

To each their own... I just have fun accepting the challenge of finding lost items. This is a hobby to me. When you start charging it becomes work and work sucks!

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! WTG!!!!!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn about is fair play and a good deed can pay for that day. Good on ya. :thumbsup:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the return is awesome, irregardless of a tip or not. helping someone in need does not mean taking advantage of their circumstance, there are enough out there doing that right now. if the person has the means and so desires to give a tip, many thanks but not required.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilyGirl, you've done it again! When I read "hiney", I was enjoying a beverage and it nearly came out my nose! HINEY!!! Lmao
Peace

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My car got stuck in my drive this past winter.\
Had to call a tow truck out. Cost me $75 can you believe the nerve of that guy!

Top it off, my snow blower crapped out. Who'da thunk the shop would want money to repair it?

My point is, specialized services are expensive nowadays...and money's tight. As soon as a $7k ring was mentioned, I lost all sympathy.

Last edited:

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to a group...Lost My Stuff Group - Home
We are an international group of MD'ers that find stuff for free... No charge... Nada.
To join, you agree to that, no fee. A lost item report is submitted, and local members are contacted. Taking up the search is voluntary. You report back if you found it or not. If you are offered a tip, accepting it is up to you.

Come on. It's all about the hunt. Returning the lost item is a bonus.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I search yards on a 50/50 basis. I do however ask ahead of time if they have lost a valuable item in there yard and get a description of it. If I find there lost item, it is returned at no charge or split for that item. Frank...- five star.png
111-1 profile.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to see a positive expression of selflessness. Kudos tou you, good KARMA.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all about making money anyway I can. If people r gonna pay him for doing a hobby he loves then more power to the guy.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all about making money anyway I can. If people r gonna pay him for doing a hobby he loves then more power to the guy.

Exactly this.

There's not a thing wrong with offering to provide a service for a mutually agreed upon price. If she didn't want to contract his services, she was free to refuse. That's called liberty.

It is the spirit of industry this country was built on.

If others want to offer this service for free, that's fine too... but there's nothing wrong with free markets either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread