Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every time I visit Dad's house, at some point I always end up in basement admiring my old toy chest and contents.
I hope your chests can bring the same amount of joy to others.
Well done
Peace

Thank you guy... I use the lumber I chose to make them with so they look old or antique-ish. But I like the uneven boards, knots and the "older" look when I'm done. And it's also so cheap to use this type of lumber. But there is some waste and I have to assemble fairly quickly due to the wood being "not dried". But once it's all assembled it holds its shape and the wooden feet really allow for easy adjustments. Everyone who's bought one has had nothing bad to say about them even a lot later. One lady from Alabama has bought 3. One for each child she'd had. Each one had the child's name put upon it.... and I hope they remember them as you do yours. Thanks.... Brad

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking work there buddy:icon_thumright:.I dont see why you shouldnt be able to unload a few,sell them both pre made and as kits for the people that are good with their hands and like putting things together.That way you get the best of both worlds.You could also make up some simple silhouettes,such as cars and or trucks,guns,etc,to attach to the box, for a boys toy box,and something else for a girls toy box,butterflies,horses, dolls,etc.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice looking work there buddy:icon_thumright:.I dont see why you shouldnt be able to unload a few,sell them both pre made and as kits for the people that are good with their hands and like putting things together.That way you get the best of both worlds.You could also make up some simple silhouettes,such as cars and or trucks,guns,etc,to attach to the box, for a boys toy box,and something else for a girls toy box,butterflies,horses, dolls,etc.

Thanks Red.... As I stated earlier the possibilities are endless on how to change them up. Stained, painted, silhouettes, naked, larger, smaller.... or something you "dream" up. And then we can get into the customizing end of it and "sky's the limit" then expands even further. I've put some lift out trays in them and some with sliding "half-trays" that slide over horizontally left/right. The frame work could even be made and the panels wallpapered with ANYTHING and then inserted into the framework. But the same basic 3 designs (small, medium, large) remains the same.

I just don't know if there is a market for something like this and if it's worth investing in...? Thanks, Red.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I just don't know if there is a market for something like this and if it's worth investing in...? Thanks, Red.

No problem buddy.The hard part is done,you have some nice examples of your work.the only way to find out if theres a market is to give it a shot with what you already have ready on hand.you could fancy a couple of them up to show what could be done.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate being a "Debbie Downer" on these types of things, but... I hope you are protecting yourself!

Child dies after toy box lid falls on her head in Chandler home | azfamily.com Phoenix

preschooler dies in toy chest accident

People sue other folks EVERY day.

Well Terry.... Other than starting another LLC I don't know what to do. If the boxes have a lock up lid support then "little Susie or Johnny" can't lower them upon themselves unless the option wasn't there. Or the parent, guardian or person in control didn't lock it up. All my boxes have this option. I also have cut-outs in the front for anybody whose fingers are in the way when the lid comes down. But admittedly I can't built a child proof / error proof box. The boxes aren't air tight proof by design. An option would be NOT TO BUY ONE WITH A LID.... period.

But Terry I totally get your point and concern and it is taken to heart. I've already thought about it buddy. And your comment is a VERY VALID ONE....!!!! :occasion14: Thanks... Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem buddy.The hard part is done,you have some nice examples of your work.the only way to find out if theres a market is to give it a shot with what you already have ready on hand.you could fancy a couple of them up to show what could be done.

Red... You and I both know it's "nothing but money" but it would/could be expensive for me to "fancy" them up. BUT... it might be a worthwhile investment I admit if I showed how the "same" box can be made to look this way and that. My funds run low but my artistic imagination runs wild. Easy part is making them.... (for me)! I think I'll make 10 more with each looking totally different in style / design. I'd like to make the raw boxes in all 3 sizes and let somebody else "change them up" for retail.

Ok Red... just get your butt down here and let's do this together.... :occasion14:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been building these type boxes for about 2 years now. I've mainly made them for all the family members and their friends for free and/or at cost. I can make them into Hope Chests, Toy Boxes, Blanket Boxes or ANY type upon desire. I finally got talked into making some (10) for a show Sept. 6th. upon our town square. Everybody keeps telling me that these will sell ASAP especially with all the options available. I can easily make them larger, smaller and/or in any desired dimension.

All of these boxes are made out of 2" x 4" x 8' construction lumber only (except the bottoms). This includes all framing, panels, lids, feet and even the letters seen and knots. All joints are glued & screwed together. Every single panel, board and part of these boxes are cut and assembled ONE AT A TIME with pride. So what do ya all think....?

The one's shown are 38" x 16" x 16" (not including feet). I'm NOT TRYING TO SELL HERE ON T-NET... just asking opinions. Probably the only way to make money on the internet with these is in a kit form... but the machining would have to really be tightened up to do this. I'm just wanting some opinions either good or bad. Boxes shown range from $75.00 - $125 depending upon options wanted. Most of the cost is NOT just overhead but the TIME / PRIDE INVOLVED.
What is the primary wood being used?
I would sell them for 200 bucks + for the large ones.
Have you seen the particle board crap they sell nowadays?
These are high quality, and the same things would be three times that price at IKEA.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the primary wood being used?
I would sell them for 200 bucks + for the large ones.
Have you seen the particle board crap they sell nowadays?
These are high quality, and the same things would be three times that price at IKEA.

Almost everybody says that they are way underpriced too Viking. Especially all the time it takes to stain and poly them after their built. If I really had a "factory" I could set up a spray booth area and with the bottoms out really cut down on this time. And when there dried take the back panel off and slide in the bottom.

I am/was trying to make an well put together piece of furniture. And I wanted it to look "old" or "old fashion". And I was trying to keep costs down so I started experimenting with everyday 2x4x8 construction studs to get the "look" I was seeking. I just butterfly a 1/4" off the studs facing and use them for the vertical panels on box and lid. I use/keep all knots and knot holes within reason. Then plane the studs front and back and square up on table saw. Then cut to proper lengths and machine the needed holes and slots. 1/4" plywood for the bottom is used. I have the process down pretty good.

Every joint is screwed and glued and the panels are all stapled into the 1/2" slots in framework further strengthening the box and lid. I know exactly what each box cost me to make in material and hardware and I'm not making much yet on the retail end. And blades, lights, brushes and bits are not figured into price.

I was trying to get opinions I guess on whether folks thought there would be a market for these and how to go about it. I'm admittedly native on these matters.

Thanks Viking.... Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put one ad on Nashville Craigslist a few weeks ago and have been SWAMPED!!!! I've bough 4 more table saws, 2 more cordless drills (5 now), 2 routers and have 4 DeWalt chop saws. I couldn't believe the demand for this product. My kids and wife were right... people will want those. Can't wait to get my new building up and organized to further advertising and learn to ship.

Attachments

• S6300526.JPG
    S6300526.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 71

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could you doubt! Made with love will do it every time! You just needed an outlet!
I am so happy for you! See I told you! You are a true craftsman! How could you doubt?

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is an artist, and I am a rarely sometime Flea Market Vendor, not much though. The Arts and Craft Shows would be great for you, people spend bigger amounts of money. The Flea Market scene can be tough, people are looking for bargains and will by 5 and 10 dollar items all day. The Flea Market is still great exposure for your product. Print yourself a big stack of flyers with your contact info and how you can build custom boxes anyway they want, just in case they don't have the cash on them that day.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How could you doubt! Made with love will do it every time! You just needed an outlet!
I am so happy for you! See I told you! You are a true craftsman! How could you doubt?

Thank you lady.... I had 3 customers show up today to pick up their orders and they were very happy. Makes me feel good to see others happy. You say "You are a true craftsman!" While I appreciate your kind words I am not a true wood craftsman. I'm a half-ass artist and woodworker in one. But it appears this product fills a niche between the plastic / composite made stuff and the $200.00+ dollars toy boxes. I haven't renewed my ad for weeks and I'm still getting orders with no promise (from me) for a Christmas delivery. But I know I'll "LIVE" at the shop filling all orders. That's just me. I couldn't imagine if I had a website taking nationwide orders how busy I'd be!!!!!!!!!!

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I have an appreciation for things people make. I like things with a personal touch. That's a nice product you are making.
I make lots of stuff, cabinets, furniture, ect.... My concern when building toy boxes, was always the weight of the lid and little fingers.
Dunno, it just always worried me.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an appreciation for things people make. I like things with a personal touch. That's a nice product you are making.
I make lots of stuff, cabinets, furniture, ect.... My concern when building toy boxes, was always the weight of the lid and little fingers.
Dunno, it just always worried me.

Yes... I agree the lid weight and "little fingers" is a concern. I use a lock out lid support when it's in the upright position. I also put a cut-out all along the front in the event the lid came down so if fingers were in the way they would not be pinched. The entire lid weights about 3 lbs. But still pinch points are present on the front corners and both ends. Like most people I'm a pretty quick learner.... I'd only have to pinch my fingers ONCE in this box... then I'd look for a "new" way to do it again but it wouldn't be on this box. And thank you for the kind words wainzoid.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks..... I can't believe the interest for this product.... I haven't renewed my ad for 3 weeks and still I'm getting orders. There's no way to fill all of them before Christmas. Most folks are still ordering even if I can't fill by Christmas. Many now are referrals If I want.... I'll be in the toy box business!!!!!!!!! But I still want to get back to my cave and finish what I started.... So do you want to sand wood or explore a cave?????????

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks..... I can't believe the interest for this product.... I haven't renewed my ad for 3 weeks and still I'm getting orders. There's no way to fill all of them before Christmas. Most folks are still ordering even if I can't fill by Christmas. Many now are referrals If I want.... I'll be in the toy box business!!!!!!!!! But I still want to get back to my cave and finish what I started.... So do you want to sand wood or explore a cave?????????

Hmmm...Sand wood in the cave?

Your going to need to build a few treasure chests for your cave finds too!!!:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm...Sand wood in the cave?

Your going to need to build a few treasure chests for your cave finds too!!!:laughing7:

Buddy... as long as you sand all the wood in the woodshop 1st. I'll take ya caving. If you'd like to sand some wood in the cave knock yourself out!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread