oldskool detectors vs. high-tech detectors

DutchDiggers!®

Aug 29, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sup yall,

I am detecting for quit a while and still own a Garrett ADS III master hunter from 1982!
It really finds me aLOT of good relics at very good depth! (with good ground-balance and 12" coil even up to 10" or more..)
it has also skills like: a very good disc mode in VLF and TR, a depth indicator and a very accurate pinpointer function!
it can compete with (and even OUT-compete) most high-end machines of today!!! :)

IMG00636-20140821-2104.jpg

The new tecs have all the fancy bells and whistles on it and computer screens that will tell you exactely what SIZE the coin is, what KIND of coin it is and maybe even dig it up for ya..haha

now which kind of teccie fan are YOU?
the vintage/oldskool type or the high-tech computerized type?

GK

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Had one Garrett, a workhorse 10 With the dept multiplier 2 coil system. That cured me of Garretts. It would only go 3'.
I do like old detectors though. My current stable contains three 13+ year old detectors that can hunt and find with the best.
The XLT is more adjustable than most new detectors and can pinpoint better than any other detector I have ever seen.
You can just turn it on, auto ground balance , pick a program and hunt all day without touching a control except to tell it to pinpoint.
My surfmaster PI can pull rings at 10"+ in sand and locate fine gold chains on the beach. It also finds nuggets in the desert.
MY Hays 2 Box has located targets at 6'. They have all paid for themselves many times and are still the best in my opinion.
Maybe old detectors work best for an old man. Frank...- five star.png
6 06-1 Yellowstone 119-2.jpg Flap around like a butterfly, dig like a badger.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice steampunk detector. ;-)

Biggest advantage I see is battery weight and life. I can get 60 hours with 4 AA batteries.

You want low tech but good I'd put up my Minelab Musketeer Advantage. No meter or display, no notches, but it has a great audio and you can hear what you're over.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread prompts me to repeat what I've written several times. In the final analysis, all any detector (older or newer, plain or fancy) does is indicate there is metal of some sort under the coil. Tid, discrimination, different tones etc. all offer a MACHINE'S BEST GUESS, but retrieving the target is the only way to know for sure. In actual target discovery there is no "for sure" advantage in extra bells and whistles if two detectors that have equal depth and sensitivity are passed over the same target. In fact, an erroneous reading by the TID machine may cause the operator to pass on what would have been a good target. I have and use detectors of both types and do appreciate the extra assurance that a target is a coin etc. before disturbing good grass in a park etc., but even that isn't always accurate. An operator that really uses and knows his detector will do well with either type of detector.
luvsdux

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a master hunter for years. Many a blister on my thumb from using that toggle switch.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I certainly wish I still had mine.... It sure gave me fond memories and very cool digs.

If I remember right, the batteries in mine were a tray of 9v's...

OP
OP
DutchDiggers!®

DutchDiggers!®

Aug 29, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hi DeepSeekerADS,

yea it has a tray with 6 - 9V batts n it uses m like CRAZY!
unfortunately my battery charger has past on so now im stuck to disposable once...OMG their expensive!
my kid's detector (Eurotek pro) uses but 1 n lasts him 50 HOURS!!! haha 'daddy n his old sh*t' he always say :)

grtz,

GK and CM

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
hi DeepSeekerADS,
yea it has a tray with 6 - 9V batts n it uses m like CRAZY!
unfortunately my battery charger has past on so now im stuck to disposable once...OMG their expensive!
my kid's detector (Eurotek pro) uses but 1 n lasts him 50 HOURS!!! haha 'daddy n his old sh*t' he always say :)
grtz,
GK and CM

I've never used a Eurotek Pro, but I will make the conjecture that the ADS in the hands of a very experienced user is equal to or perhaps better than most modern detectors :) But then we had some serious BATTERY POWER!!!

In my case, where the Fisher 1260X was better was in the way it handled different types of soil. Places the ADS just couldn't go due to mineralization, the Fisher cut through like butter.

jerseyjack

Jul 25, 2009
I have a Fisher 1236-X2 that I got in 2000. Kinda still Oldskool but a lot lighter. I started with an Old Compass that I nicknamed the "arm breaker". :occasion14:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my ol tank is a garrett 1250 gtax..I have newer stuff but I have that ol greenie sooo wired that I often outhunt my buddies with their at pro and etrac.I like my at alot but still reach for ol trusty much of the time.Its always in my work truck just in case..heck if it gets stolen I can prolly replace it for a benji

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread