Take my coins, please! ... Buncha commies.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1w1.jpg

I’m sure this has been brought up before (often) but I’m still wondering if other hardcore detectorists run into the aggravating refusal of banks to take dug/water-found coins?
Recently, I’ve had as much as two hundred dollars’ worth to turn in.
A couple times in the past, it came down to bank-ish vernacular of whether the coins were “tarnished” or “damaged.” I preferred to call them “discolored” but they never bought that.
More often than not, they are dubbed as “damaged” – “tarnished” is preferable -- and deemed either fully unacceptable or worth half-or-less of their given face value.
And, yes, I’ve tumbled pounds and pounds of coins to make them a tad more presentable. On occasion, I’ve gone as far as polishing them up a bit with walnut shell, using a vibratory tumbler. Even after that time-consuming and costly effort, I’ve been duly told by oft-sneering bank people that they don’t want to handle them. I even get prissy, over-fingernailed tellers going “Yuck!”
And, no, I’m not cruel enough to covertly sneak my discolored coins into a bank’s outside coin-counting machine.
OK, so maybe I tried it once. Seems dug/water-found coins have a way of being frequently rejected by the counting machine -- and finally fouling it up entirely. Also, I might add that there are damn-decent cameras at those change-counters.
“Uh, that sure looks a lot like me putting all those coins in that-there machine – my bad side, mind you. Wadda ya mean I’m banned from the bank for life!? Since when is their banning in banks? Well, I’ll just take my well-polished discolored coins to a competing bank where they’ll be appreciated. And I better not see those pictures on Facebook.”
My only retort to having my coins rejected is the bona fide fact they’re officially good old American money. Shouldn’t our fine coin-popping nation take them back, sans penalty? Apparently most banks aren’t even sold on apple pie yet much less the integrity of our national coinage. Buncha commies.
By the by, once in Hawaii, the then-Aloha Bank did a decently decent thing with my nearly $400 in from-the-water coins. They accepted them on the grounds that they would send them to the US Mint (I presumed) to see what they’d get for them. I got 100 percent back (!) – and no charge for the mailing and such. Needless to say, I kept my personal bank account in that wonderful place.
However, that 100 percent return – which, by the way, I repeated a couple time thereafter -- has me wondering about banks that only give 50 percent or less for metal-detected coins. Guess who’s pocketing the clean profit from dirty coins? Did I mention they’re a buncha commies?

1w1.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no discount -- they should accept them at face value or reject them outright ... frankly in my point of view they should have to accept them and then send them into the mint for "re processing" melting / destruction .

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my coins have been tumbled enough to take most of the dirt and rust off, I take them to the coinstar machine. I have to admit that I used to just wash them off, and like you, jammed the machine a few times. Now, with them tumbled, I took 90.00 dollars worth of quarters in, and the machine only rejected about a buck fifty. I hate paying the fee, but it beats getting turned down at the bank.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have turn them in to the coin counter at the bank. Plus I have rolled my coins and turn them in that way also. I tumble all my coins and then turn them in after they have air dry for a couple of day. Never had a problem

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply roll them and either use them as cash at my local Jiffy-Mart, or deposit them at my bank....have never had a problem.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I just throw them in with the rest of my sorted pocket change, then roll them up and deposit them at the bank, no problems here either. To **ll with them commies!

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just throw them in the coin counting machine and be done with it. Seriously sounds like you are just looking for a fight when there is easy solutions.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put them in a zipper bank bag (preferably one from your bank ) and go to the coin counter and just dump them in !
believe me there's no way they're going to go back through videotape to bother with this - this is chump change - they don't have
time to mess with you about it .

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in '65 when the U.S. Mint deceided to "cheapen" our coins with clad, they should have known there would be repercussions later on.

I just shake my clad in a quart OJ bottle with a drop or two of soap, dry'm off and off to the coinstar I go. Haven't had any problems.

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in '65 when the U.S. Mint deceided to "cheapen" our coins with clad, they should have known there would be repercussions later on.

I just shake my clad in a quart OJ bottle with a drop or two of soap, dry'm off and off to the coinstar I go. Haven't had any problems.

You should open an account with a credit union. Mine has a free coin counting machine, just dump the coins take the receipt to the teller and it's in my checking account ready for a treat from Amazon.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
The way I see it, if the coin machine takes them, great. If not, maybe the tellers will. If neither the tellers nor the coin machine will take them, my currency is probably "mutilated." The Mint will buy them back in that condition, but you're only going to get about 50% face value. It sucks, but hey...clad, right? At least it's mostly the zincolns that rot out like that. I'd be pretty annoyed if they started making dimes and quarters out of zinc.

As for the bank that's taking them at full face and mailing them to the Mint, that's very kind of them to do so, but realize that if those coins are technically mutilated, your bank is losing money every time that they do this for you. I'd certainly reward their generosity with continued business, but I'm not sure that I'd be angry at a bank for refusing to take a loss on my account.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every January I roll up the ugliest of dug and damaged coins, and deposit them into my bank account. Going on ten years, and have not once ever had a problem. Am I the only one who doesn't get hassled over dug/damaged coins?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tumble mine they're pretty clean just a pink tint on some, so far no problem where ever I take them, and I go to different places. I do have a jar of zincs that are so bad no one's going to take them including their own mother (US mint!). I will figure out something creative to do with them, stuff them in a copper pipe with the other recycled metals maybe.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no trouble paying 9% at coinstar..I hate rolling coins.I just put em all in 5 gallon buckets add water and let em sit a few days.I do chuck to obvious toasted zincolns and bent stuff...no problem.$360 ish last trip and not a bunch of rejects.I usually put the rejects back through and most of them get accepted.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not throwing away money at coinstar when CU's have free counters. \ and,
there's no need for anyone to see the coin you are dumping.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take all my coinage and I have a little 4X6 box. It gets full, I use a coin counter machine, (that I got from Office Max), that puts them into rolls. Once I have a few hundred dollars, I bring it to my Chase Bank down the street, walk in, the teller puts them on their roll tray, and deposits the money into my bank account! Problem solved!

They don't open the rolls, they don't inspect what color the coins are, etc!

Last edited:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine at the toll booth counting machine. They seem to take everything.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought there was a law that they HAD to take American currency. Anything damaged is supposed to be delivered to the US mint? They decide if the currency should be destroyed. I might turn out to be a jerk at one of those banks, the teller is trying to make money on You.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread