Detector Design for the 21st Century--Its Time!

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Detector Design for the 21st Century--It's Time!

I feel it’s time metal detector manufactures step into the 21st century regarding the physical design of their machines. Granted, the software capability and functionality has seen major strides over the years and as a result, we now have the most capable detectors ever built.

Having said that, I submit the age of bulk, weight and wires has long passed. We have the technology to produce light weight, rugged, compact, fold up, wireless machines in both VLF (single or multi band) and PI configurations but we’re still dealing with 20th century problems brought on by the heavy, bulky, non-waterproof, wired machines that are a pain to travel with and maintain.

How many issues do you read on the forums about weight, broken or malfunctioning wires or units that were caught in the rain or dropped in the water for example? How many detectorists love to take their machines on vacation but have trouble because of the size, portability, take down and set up of those detectors? It’s challenging enough to pack all the ancillary equipment necessary to dig such as scoops, shovels, etc let alone having to deal with the size and delicate nature of the detector especially when we have the wherewithal to streamline and improve the overall design substantially and make the detector more impervious to our normal operating environment.

I’m impressed by the groundbreaking XP Deus design (albeit still not waterproof) as I am with the Minelab SDC 2300 and that should be the objective going forward for all manufacturers as I see it. My guess is that manufacturers would see a significant jump in sales if they could give us such a portable, survivable machine and keep the prices as consumer friendly as possible.

I’m betting that the first major supplier to successfully meet this challenge will leave others behind in short order. I know I’d be on their buyers list as I also know that such machines will eventually be here…I’m just pushing for sooner rather than later! :icon_thumleft:

Just the view from my foxhole…

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep!!!

Love my Etrac, but oh my aching arms & shoulders, size of the thing even disassembled, not waterproof, I don't need the VDI - that would tend to misdirect you - accomplished hunters listen to the sounds....

And pin pointing could certainly be better....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hell, I must be the only one on here that is satisfied with what he selected to use. I have stuck with them for 13+ years and am still satisfied with there performance. Some of you guys are never satisfied with what you selected. Always wanting something you perceive to be better.

Now as far as wireless, forget it. The cars went digital and they are being hacked. There was a demo where the hacker blew the horn, turned the lights on and off, opened the door while the auto was moving and killed the engine. HAY, HOW MANY WIRES ON YOUR DETECTOR BOTHER YOU?
I'm 77 and I don't have any trouble swinging my detectors all day. Frank...- five star.png
111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wireless aspect is indeed attractive, but where you lose wires you gain batteries...so a wireless coil would have to incorporate a separate battery pack which drives up cost of operation. I'm perfectly okay with the wire.

What does bother me is the fact that these new machines (for the most part) are not water proof. It wouldn't be difficult and wouldn't increase the cost too much to make even the most basic detector waterproof....even pinpointers! I watched a video on YouTube released by Garrett themselves where they went on a water hunt...and they had to put a disclaimer at the bottom of the screen saying they "specially modified the Pro Pointer to be water proof" and "doing this voids the warranty of your pro pointer." I mean seriously as much as these things cost how can they not be water proof?? Do they only make the higher end model detectors water proof to force you to buy them? Bingo...you gotta pay to play. You can't take your 150 dollar bounty hunter in the water...gotta spend 600 for an AT Pro or several thousand for a CTX 3030.

That's just my .02

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I think that Frank summed up the lack of innovation in metal detector design pretty well.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want the detector that finds gold every time you swing it !

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay, I have equipment that does everything I need to have done to find targets.
Now I must admit that I would be interested in a detector that produced a high resolution image of the target. lol
Frank...- five star.png
111-2 700.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I must admit that I would be interested in a detector that produced a high resolution image of the target. lol
Frank...- View attachment 1047579
View attachment 1047580
I could see that in the future...like an x ray or sonogram or cat scan image in a portable, metal detector design.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would just have to wear a lead vest while swinging it. :D
The coil would only be close to your feet so you would only need lead shoes. :laughing7:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frank...- View attachment 1047579
View attachment 1047580

They do. It is called the Nokta Golden King. See for your self. View attachment 1048297

I got to tell you, I have seen the video on that detector and the image looks more like an expensive, high tec blob than a high resolution image. Just my opinion! Frank...- five star.png

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few designs for em when they are ready. Have for some years now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread