the beer can conundrum

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that my AT Pro will give me a solid 81-99 signal for a soda or beer can which I am not surprised about. What I struggle with is that I can not think of any differences in sound that the machine will make were it an actual silver dollar. The can gives of a good long signal indicative of a big item, but I would assume something the size of a silver dollar would sound identical given the near ounce of metal being detected. Has anyone found a way to discern aluminum cans apart from treasure or do you just dig dig dig?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Patience, practice, Patience, practice, Patience, practice... got that ? Good! Now have patience, and never give up.
oh and you can always try raising the coil, large objects should be loud and clear with the coil way above the ground.

Mike

Last edited:

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing is... You're getting a solid tone... A big tone. It most likely is a beer can and you know it, but it might not be. Are you going to take that chance and walk away?

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid tone, big tone I did almost walk away but paused at the last second and dug it . As evidenced by my avatar pic sometimes they aren't cans . They are big shiny morgan silver dollars . Since that day no can shall escape my shovel or my notice . I dig anything that sounds good cause you never know .

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, this had to sound just like a Coke can. Yep, you could lift that coil up 13" and it would STILL be screaming in your earphones - just like and old Budweiser can. :laughing7:

Attachments

• sevenkilos.jpg
    sevenkilos.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 82

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually dig those 90+ solid signals. 99% of the time it is a beer can, but that 1% makes it all worth it when you pull out a silver dollar 8-)

You can usually tell the difference between a bottle cap or beer can from a coin when you use the pin point function on the AT Pro. It just takes some experience to learn how each one usually sounds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, this had to sound just like a Coke can. Yep, you could lift that coil up 13" and it would STILL be screaming in your earphones - just like and old Budweiser can. :laughing7:

That looks like an Oscar!

Practice. I have finally learned to tell the difference between a nickel and a pop top!
Now if I could just do that with the gold!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Solid tone, big tone I did almost walk away but paused at the last second and dug it . As evidenced by my avatar pic sometimes they aren't cans . They are big shiny morgan silver dollars . Since that day no can shall escape my shovel or my notice . I dig anything that sounds good cause you never know .

^^^ because you NEVER know! ^^^

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig ,Dig ,Dig- The Scream And Wonder how a 1980's Can got down to 8+ inches
Or
Scream And love the Silver Dollar , or other Cool item you just dug up.

How deep does one dig Still getting a strong signal ? Well it depends on the Site.

Good Luck & as BC1969 Said Patience X 3.

Davers

"Sorry BC never got around to that Machine fix"

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few of my Half Dollars have sounded like Cans as well as an Ike
My trade Dollar sounded like it could have been a dime, But it was deep.

For the record I have found 2 Clad Quarters Directly under a Flattened soda Can. I remember that well.

I have probably also dug other goodies thanks to cleaning out those large Cans,
so don't be so much in a hurry to leave them there.

Unless of course we are hunting the same spots at the time

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread