Gold, What determines its value

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this really isn't treasure hunting related, more of a question i cant quite figure out. So i was watching a movie the other day when a teach had his students run through a scenario on if there was an nuclear apocalypse what person with what talent would be aloud to survive in a bunker if it could only hold 10 people and there where 20 to chose from. One of the people they choose is a real-estate agent(or something). Now this person isn't going to help you survive after its all clear. The only reason she was picked because of a bag of gold and jewels she had and they said it could be used as a trade item since gold doesn't lose its value... But is that true? Check this out to see what you think. Golds True Value

See i honestly think that in a situation like The Walking Dead (LOL) or The Last Ship, money and golds not my biggest concern.

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the value on gold in such a situation is based on a mutual acceptance that it is valuable. Unless the ENTIRE world is utter turmoil, gold will still have value to somebody somewhere. That's really all it is. The twenty dollar bill in my pocket is worth nothing in cloth and cellulose, but I keep it close because I know that it is valuable (at least for now kinda sorta). In a hundred years wars will be fought over water, and gold will still be a major player because it can be traded to a wealthier entity for needed commodities (i.e. water)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold, What determines its value

A couple of things but,in my opinion the garbage that manipulates the markets.

One of the people they choose is a real-estate agent(or something)

The only thing a real estate agent would be good for is for a dinner when the food ran out.:laughing7:

gold doesn't lose its value

Its the worth of the dollar that goes up and down not the value of gold.When the dollar is worth less gold is worth more and when the dollar is worth more gold is worth less.

OP
OP
N

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also gold has value now because we use it in technology. And i guess it would be valuable as long as there is someone out there who wants it...But i think in a apocalyptic event the guys with trained with guns are gonna have more power then a guy with a chest of gold...They can always take the gold with the guns they have...lol

DB Cooper

Greenie
Jul 28, 2014
Prairieville, La.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading this thread, two quotes from my dad come to mind. He has told me this on several occasions for different reasons.
The first one is; " Have you ever heard of the Golden Rule ? The one with the most gold makes the rules."

The second is from an old western movies that he loved; " There are two kinds of people in the world. The ones with guns and the ones that dig. You dig."

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Only about 10% of the gold being produced is used in industry. The rest winds up as jewelry, coins, and bars. Basically, it's worth a lot because it looks nice and we think that it's worth a lot, and not because it's useful.

To put that another way, imagine that you suffered a flat tire in the middle of the desert, and I showed up with some gold coins, while someone else showed up with a spare tire, a jack, a lug wrench, and food and water. Who would you be more pleased to see? If you had to pick between the two of us, who would you enlist for help? What would our respective goods be worth to you?

Value is relative. It always has been. Gold is expensive because we've all agreed that it's expensive, but don't confuse that with its utility. In a survival situation, I'd much rather have ten pounds of steel than one pound of gold. I can make tools out of steel. I can make jewelry (and perhaps electrical connections) out of gold. Which will enhance my standard of living?

OP
OP
N

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To put that another way, imagine that you suffered a flat tire in the middle of the desert, and I showed up with some gold coins, while someone else showed up with a spare tire, a jack, a lug wrench, and food and water. Who would you be more pleased to see? If you had to pick between the two of us, who would you enlist for help? What would our respective goods be worth to you?

My point exactly.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it's not "The Walking dead" scenario.....keep looking for it, cause there's people out there that want it. You may be able to prepare yourself better for those scenarios if you have it.
Always think ahead........

OP
OP
N

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Never gonna stop looking. The gold fever be already in my veins. lol

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Gold price is determined purely by demand. In other words it floats with demand.

In the situation sited, gold would be worthless, except to melt down to make bullets.
The biggies on the value scale would be Guns, ammunition, food & water, followed closely by shelter and a good knife. Next on the list would be a good dog and transportation like a bicycle or horse.
Frank...- five star.png
Well that's how I look at it anyway.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value of anything is determined by either what another is willing to trade for it, or how much you would sacrifice to keep it.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
supply & demand...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread