Threatened with arrest!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
And what is that oh-so-sacred law based on? Did you read my post? Once again, I could argue that because I'm a part owner of that land, I can dump trash there. You could argue (and again, rightfully so) that this impacts your right to enjoy that land, and a law is passed to prevent me from dumping trash on it.

Consider that last bit carefully, as some folks don't like seeing people digging up lawns. If they have enough free time to argue with a metal detectorist about what they're doing, they have enough time to write letters to officials and attend city council meetings. Just keep that in mind when you're demonstrating your rights. (And again, they're not rights outside of your own land. If they were, I'd be able to dump trash because that's what makes ME happy and we're all free to do what makes us happy on public land. Do you see how that idea doesn't actually work in practice?)

I hate to tell you but twisting it around doesnt work to well on me.Theres usually posted sign up,no littering or dumping.Usually there are no signs up prohibiting metal detecting,I have never seen one.See how wrong you are yet,most likely not.:laughing9:

But it's the law. You just said that that was important. If I'm in a lane and someone else blows through a yield sign to take my spot, they broke the law, not me. I had the right of way, but now I'm dead because I didn't give up my spot for them.

Its not a law strictly for motorcycles,its the law for all motor vehicles.:laughing9:

The front lawn of the White House is public property. Do you metal detect there? Ought to be some great stuff actually. I'd love to find one of the casings from Lincoln's test of the Spencer carbine.

Now why would I want to metal detect in a cesspool thats full of living pieces of crap?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FritoBandito.
I too have had Newport Police ask w detector I use, if we've found anything good, etc. They are always interested and nice to talk to.
This guy was/is a city worker.
From personal exp you know how big the flood wall is. A person could dig a plug to China and not harm it.
Have you ever asked the powers that be about digging plugs on wall, and or what type of digging tool is acceptable? I have not, yet.
Peace

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Please look up Riparian rights laws, depending on the distance from the waters he was and if the water is considered navigable, he pretty much can dig away.

Depending on, yes. It varies by state as you probably know. Congratulations on your victory in court, but as I understand it, you would not have won in Washington. I don't know what the laws are in Ohio, where the OP hails from.

If its public property it belongs to me as much as it does anyone else. My taxes pay for that land. And unless there are specific laws prohibiting it, yes, I have the right to use that property as I please.

Even to dump trash on it? Even to log it out? No, there are obviously limits on what you and I can do on public land. No one seems to want to acknowledge it, but that doesn't make it go away.

You need to grow a pair, Dave. Instead of cowering in the dark, stand up and fight. Politicians listen to voters, so speak up and be heard. Haven't you ever heard 'the squeekiest wheel gets the oil'?

When you'd like to discuss the issue at hand some more, please let me know. I will say this, though: I feel very, very badly for the man who's so lacking in confidence that he feels that every disagreement, every confrontation, every obstacle is a fight that must be won, or even fought in the first place.

I hate to tell you but twisting it around doesnt work to well on me.Theres usually posted sign up,no littering or dumping.Usually there are no signs up prohibiting metal detecting,I have never seen one.See how wrong you are yet,most likely not.:laughing9:

And if the sign mentions that metal detecting is not allowed? That can't happen because it's a right, right?
Its not a law strictly for motorcycles,its the law for all motor vehicles.:laughing9:

Stop ducking the issue, please. If I'm presented with the option of asserting my rights under the law and getting hit, or getting out of the way, I'll get out of the way. Yes, I had the right to be there, but I didn't want to get hit, did I? Is this an unreasonable course of action? Focusing on the specifics of my analogy may be amusing, but you're not addressing the point that I'm make. Perhaps that is the point.

I'm honestly not sure what's going on here. Everyone has their two cents to throw in, but no one wants to actually discuss what I'm talking about. Perhaps I'm not making myself understood, but I thought that I did a pretty good job of it. Would more smilies help?

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By looking at riparian laws, Washington has to be the most a-- backward state when it comes to riparian laws. Even the peoples republic of Hawaii have less restrictive laws.
As far as Ohio, as long as it's not a spring on private property it's open season. .

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
And if the sign mentions that metal detecting is not allowed? That can't happen because it's a right, right?

Seeing as how I'm mostly a relic hunter I see very few signs in the middle of the woods,know what you can do with your illegal gooberment laws dont you?

Stop ducking the issue, please. If I'm presented with the option of asserting my rights under the law and getting hit, or getting out of the way, I'll get out of the way. Yes, I had the right to be there, but I didn't want to get hit, did I? Is this an unreasonable course of action? Focusing on the specifics of my analogy may be amusing, but you're not addressing the point that I'm make. Perhaps that is the point.

Youre the one saying motorcycles have the right of way over autos not me:laughing9:Actually I do not move when people decide to ignore yield signs,I stay right where I am.If they hit me they risk me getting out of my car and dragging them out of theirs.I guarantee it will not be pretty.

I'm honestly not sure what's going on here. Everyone has their two cents to throw in, but no one wants to actually discuss what I'm talking about. Perhaps I'm not making myself understood, but I thought that I did a pretty good job of it. Would more smilies help?

Actually people dont care what youre talking about.People are getting fed up with all the corrupt B.S. laws.Take all you B.S. laws put them where the sun doesnt shine.As far as I'm concerned if theres no victim theres no crime.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Not sure why the last post got pulled but if I can't discuss things, there can be no discussion. Perhaps my secret admirer is displeased with me again. Unfortunately, I'm now forced to oblige them. :censored:

Let it be noted that I disagree on most points. I'm not sure what else I can say, so I'll say nothing else.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why the last post got pulled but if I can't discuss things, there can be no discussion. Perhaps my secret admirer is displeased with me again. Unfortunately, I'm now forced to oblige them. :censored:

Let it be noted that I disagree on most points. I'm not sure what else I can say, so I'll say nothing else.

Dave I just looked, none of your replies were deleted in this thread, you sure your not thinking of another thread.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Odd. I have a very clear recollection of posting a response on this thread.

Perhaps a bit flipped incorrectly somewhere. It was probably for the best.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a thread is deleted it is a soft delete, post not visible to members but still visible to mods and admins... I do not see your deleted post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread