CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annually on Labor Day weekend, our largest rock station has a magnificent fireworks display. 500,000+ people attend. The fireworks are shot from barges on the Ohio River.The many folks that view in Ky., sit on a mile long, 60ft high dirt flood wall. Wall has steep incline and many items are continually lost. We detect this wall yearly after event.
Last night was the event so bright n early this morn, we swing coils. 5mins in, a white truck pulls up. A man jumps out and nearly runs up the steep embankment straight towards my friend who's diggin' a shallow plug? He states he controls this wall and thatif we continue to dig he'll call John Law and have us arrested. I tell him that I indeed contacted the Newport Ky. police and that they said no permit was needed and metal detecting was ok. He said we could "sweep" the ground but not dig.
Coinsidently, my friend I was detecting w was the person who bought the fake Garrett Propointer I posted about last year. What luck...
I'm sick and tired of being treated as a criminal when detecting. This has to stop. I'm pissed!!! Don't know what to do though? I ain't gonna hunt woods continually, though I never have these problems there.
Metal Detectorists are not criminals!!!
Thanks for the read...
Peace

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annually on Labor Day weekend, our largest rock station has a magnificent fireworks display. 500,000+ people attend. The fireworks are shot from barges on the Ohio River.The many folks that view in Ky., sit on a mile long, 60ft high dirt flood wall. Wall has steep incline and many items are continually lost. We detect this wall yearly after event.
Last night was the event so bright n early this morn, we swing coils. 5mins in, a white truck pulls up. A man jumps out and nearly runs up the steep embankment straight towards my friend who's diggin' a shallow plug? He states he controls this wall and thatif we continue to dig he'll call John Law and have us arrested. I tell him that I indeed contacted the Newport Ky. police and that they said no permit was needed and metal detecting was ok. He said we could "sweep" the ground but not dig.
Coinsidently, my friend I was detecting w was the person who bought the fake Garrett Propointer I posted about last year. What luck...
I'm sick and tired of being treated as a criminal when detecting. This has to stop. I'm pissed!!! Don't know what to do though? I ain't gonna hunt woods continually, though I never have these problems there.
Metal Detectorists are not criminals!!!
Thanks for the read...
Peace

Tell the bozo to quit stealing your thunder and go get a warrant .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a probe and screwdriver to recover, when he says no digging tell him, "I am not digging, I am probing."....

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both.
I'm just tired of continually having to defend my right to detect.
Not saying I'm done either! ;)
Peace

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya that's why I like very early morning detecting trips...no people to bother you.

I've said before that 2 people could be doing the same thing retrieving a coin off the ground, but the one holding a detector is somehow viewed in a negative light, why I don't know.
They make it sound like we are going to dig to China or something!
If you are there legally what is his problem?

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are there legally what is his problem?

This right here. I'd have told that guy that you asked <insert official's name here> and that there was no permit needed, and that if he didnt like it to take it up with him.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Some People Have To B#$%H at someone everyday or they wont feel Right.

IMO You did the Right Thing.

Davers

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have said before, learn how to say "I don't understand" in sign language, works every time.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Did you leave or tell him to pound sand and keep right on detecting?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left. My hunting partner shouldn't have been basically introduced to detecting this way.
Sooo, 2mins after leaving, I return for 3 more hrs. Noone else bothered me. Glad they didn't. I was still a bit angry. To put it mildly.
Keep on keepin' on Boatload!
Peace

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people feel the need to elevate themselves by stepping on others in a warped way to feel good or important. When I run across such people usually reverse intimidation works(helps to be of large stature) but just standing your ground and tell them your rights and remind them they have no right to make you do anything outside of the law you already know. I refuse to back down and that goes to ones who wear badges, I wore one and know the how it can go to your head and make you think you make the rules rather than enforce them. As a Christian I am inclined to say don't bring this to a sinful act of violence or even cursing and anger but you have the right to justice.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful reply bzbadger!
We all have our "ways". I truely wanted another confrontation.
But, reason being reason, I would have overwhelmed the authorities w knowledge and law. Of which, I'm investigating.
Peace

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps he was upset that you beat him to the spot, and was trying to scare you away so he could have it to himself.

I'm glad to hear you both were able to finish your hunt peacefully.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would have told him to kiss my azz and kept right on detecting.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
While confrontations like this are unfortunate, it's important to remember that all of those places where metal detecting is now banned (with the exception of sites protected for historical reasons) is because somebody got mad at a detectorist - plain and simple. That anger may have been over discarded trash, or open holes, or dead plugs, or whatever, but in at least some of those cases it was because there was a confrontation. If a busybody initiates a confrontation with me and I oblige, it really doesn't matter who is right and wrong at that point. Will they call people? Will they write letters? Is there brother-in-law the head of the city's parks and recreation department? Who will ultimately hear these complaints, and what will their likely response be?

Ta-da! No more metal detecting in city parks. Can it happen this easily? Yes, and it has.

I'm not advocating sneaking around like a criminal while metal detecting, but discretion is the better part of valor. I've passed on sites before because the grounds keepers were out working. Could I metal detect there? Surely. Would they have a problem with it? I didn't want to find out. In my mind, it was better that metal detecting just stayed off their radar; if they don't see it, they don't know about it, and I have plenty of other sites to hit while I'm waiting for them to leave.

You did the right thing, BTW. You could have stuck around and forced the issue and you probably would have been proved correct, but now who will that guy that's in charge of the wall (if he really was) complain to, and what will he say? What would that have resulted in? Walk away, have a drink, and come back when he's not around. He goes home proud because he flexed nuts on you, and you get to detect the site in peace. Let him think that he was the winner in that confrontation and enjoy your finds afterward.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
While confrontations like this are unfortunate, it's important to remember that all of those places where metal detecting is now banned (with the exception of sites protected for historical reasons) is because somebody got mad at a detectorist - plain and simple. That anger may have been over discarded trash, or open holes, or dead plugs, or whatever, but in at least some of those cases it was because there was a confrontation. If a busybody initiates a confrontation with me and I oblige, it really doesn't matter who is right and wrong at that point. Will they call people? Will they write letters? Is there brother-in-law the head of the city's parks and recreation department? Who will ultimately hear these complaints, and what will their likely response be?

Ta-da! No more metal detecting in city parks. Can it happen this easily? Yes, and it has.

I'm not advocating sneaking around like a criminal while metal detecting, but discretion is the better part of valor. I've passed on sites before because the grounds keepers were out working. Could I metal detect there? Surely. Would they have a problem with it? I didn't want to find out. In my mind, it was better that metal detecting just stayed off their radar; if they don't see it, they don't know about it, and I have plenty of other sites to hit while I'm waiting for them to leave.

You did the right thing, BTW. You could have stuck around and forced the issue and you probably would have been proved correct, but now who will that guy that's in charge of the wall (if he really was) complain to, and what will he say? What would that have resulted in? Walk away, have a drink, and come back when he's not around. He goes home proud because he flexed nuts on you, and you get to detect the site in peace. Let him think that he was the winner in that confrontation and enjoy your finds afterward.

Bull. If I know I'm within my rights let him go get the cops.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Within rights can mean a multitude these days. Words are constantly twisted by "the powers that be" to fit their immediate needs. My situation may have ended w a destruction of public property citation, or worse. As stated above, I'm looking into my immediate situation.
When I called the local authorities about metal detecting, I asked if I needed a permit. When told no, I failed to ask about digging tools or probes. This alone was my mistake.
I assure all that I will be fully informed when I revisit site, very soon.
Sorry, but I don't need the hassel.
Peace

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well look at the word "rights" meaning just, lawful, fair,moral, proper and equal. So by the meaning is having equal to, morally true and lawful and that means yes we have a right to metal detect. We have a right to walk, talk etc so tell me how by digging a hole in dirt we are talking DIRT here a crime..im not saying break out the back hoe and dig a pool sized hole. If we keep walking on eggshells for people who get their granny panties in a knot because we are doing something that hurts NOBODY then our hobby will be shut down. I think its absolutely stupid to allow the crybabies to run the show. I believe in following rules but not anal retentive rules made up to satisfy a person who just likes to complain. We have rights and it is time we stood up for them. We pay taxes so why can't we have a say about the dang land that we pay for, of I can't be on land that I pay for then why do I have to pay for it that's just dumb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread